Arcanum Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Arcanum Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura

Post by Oppenheimer »

Has anyone ever played this game? It's by the makers of the game Vampire Bloodlines: The Masquerade and I really liked that game so I thought I'd try it but it was so strange and difficult that I stopped playing it. I really liked the opening cinematic sequence and the variety of character creation abilities, but that's about it. Anyone else even heard of it? It's really old.
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

what thing is it for? Like, PC, ps2, and yeah >.>
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Mikalakatov wrote:what thing is it for? Like, PC, ps2, and yeah >.>
PC. It came out in 2001.
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

Well, I've never heard of it ~~;;; but I guess that is to be expected since I don't have any PC games aside from roms. I don't think many games are mac compatible... What is it about though? You've sparked my curiosity ^^
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I'll pretend I didn't hear that three letter word. . .and I don't mean mac.

The game is a fantasy role playing game. Along the lines of Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment. But, it's not very well realized as far as I'm concerned. Try looking it up on Gamespot.
Yuber

Post by Yuber »

yea i have this game, i got it like when it first came out after playing the demo first hand, i really enjoyed it and is fun to play plently of sidequests etc but if you stick to the story you'd probably find the game very hard
Liam

Re: Arcanum Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura

Post by Liam »

Oppenheimer wrote:Has anyone ever played this game? It's by the makers of the game Vampire Bloodlines: The Masquerade and I really liked that game so I thought I'd try it but it was so strange and difficult that I stopped playing it. I really liked the opening cinematic sequence and the variety of character creation abilities, but that's about it. Anyone else even heard of it? It's really old.
Fantastic ide, and world where it is all hapening is both fantastc & unique to other RPG games

Guys who optimised games did really bad work, so it aint looking very good (even when it came out it didn't look right), but everything else is spot on.

If You liked Fallout 1 & 2 You will like this game too, and if You didn't You wont like Arcanum too...

Simple as

Hope it helps
Liam O'veigh, The best swordsman in all Evergreen, beater of Maldon and bodyguard of queen Rose
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Fallout 1 & 2 were crazy games, really hard, but a lot of fun, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for this game then.
Darian

Post by Darian »

I bought this game back when it came out (and I actually brought it up as an example in the 'Modern Suikoden' thread months ago). I'm a big fan of this game; the world is interesting and unique; the role-playing possibilities are virtually limit-less (my first character was an outlaw who wore a dusty robe and was rarely found using anything but the six-shooter she started with; my second was a smooth-talking gnome mob-boss whose cronies did all the fighting for him; you get the idea), and the story is actually very good once you get into.

The pacing is a bit wacky; not bad, necessarily, but you quickly learn to spend a lot of time exploring and seeking out sidequests because the story quests get hard fast.

The character of Virgil (your main companion through the game) is very well developed and all of the NPC companions have great, believable, personalities and their own morals and codes of ethics, which makes for a game with a lot of personality.

I highly recommend it for anybody who likes those hardcore PC RPGs.
enos

Post by enos »

yeah... the world sure is interesting...
just reading the newspaper (I mean the newspaper in Tarant :) ) makes me think just how much the developers have thought of the setting and history...

and my first character was a gun-toting bandit also... and he can talk his way out of trouble... if not... then it's a shootout!!! 8)
but damn!!! playing a technologist sure is hard!!! wielding magic is easier IMO...

also... I didn't finish the game... there's just so much to do... and I have much to do also IRL... but if you're a hardcore gamer... I think you'll like it enough... :lol:
Darian

Post by Darian »

Yeah, unfourtunately the game is definitley skewed towards magic-users

Try fighting a golem or an earth elemtnal with a pistol; I pretty much just had to let virgil tank them (which tore up his weapons) while I lobbed herb mixtures at him. If you don't invest much in making explosives you're kinda screwed on that front, whereas mages have fireballs, iceballs, summone creatures, curses, lightening, etc, etc, etc.

Ah... Troika... I loved 'em but I can see why they went under. If they had millions of dollars and 10 years they could probably make the best RPG ever made, but their ambitions often exceeded their resources.

Still a very good game, though. If you gt it, it might be worth skimming over a few FAQs and/or message boards so you can get a feel for the pitfalls.