Game FAQs "Best Series Ever"

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

So, the poll confirms the fact that Mega Man is "more popular" than Suikoden. What else is new?
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

actually, I believe that some people just vote for the hell of it and doesn't spend their time thinking about it. An about Suikoden series.. I really think it would make more sense if it is up against Final Fantasy, even though we all know the outcome.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Super Smash Brothers is winning over Dragon Quest :shock:

Dragon Quest is the first RPG! It's so immensely popular in Japan that they close schools when a new edition is out. That's crazy!
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

patapi wrote:So, the poll confirms the fact that Mega Man is "more popular" than Suikoden. What else is new?
Yea, it's more a popularity poll than a quality poll. For instance, there are some quality Chinese rpg series that gamefaqs doesn't even consider and they are definitely not popular enough among the English fanbase to even be considered for the poll.

So "Best Series Ever" just means "best among the common gamefaqs masses." It certainly doesn't mean "best" out of ALL games in the ENTIRE world. No one has the time to play that many games anyway.
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

Wraith wrote:Probably because it has a larger fanbase. Have they done Final Fantasy yet? No matter wich game go's against that one, FF WILL win. Probably because of all the Sephiroth Fanboys.
Why is it, that everytime people use the term "fanboys" why not just Fans? Because I'm a girl and yes, I've had a faze of Sephyism. I'm probably as equally (other than owning a site like this) obsessed with Suikoden as the site owners, if not a bit less but will be getting more once I get more stuff. They do that on X-play as well >.< and it pisses me off, saying fanboys when there are fangirls out there as well, that play the games that they show.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Mikalakatov wrote:
Wraith wrote:Probably because it has a larger fanbase. Have they done Final Fantasy yet? No matter wich game go's against that one, FF WILL win. Probably because of all the Sephiroth Fanboys.
Why is it, that everytime people use the term "fanboys" why not just Fans? Because I'm a girl and yes, I've had a faze of Sephyism. I'm probably as equally (other than owning a site like this) obsessed with Suikoden as the site owners, if not a bit less but will be getting more once I get more stuff. They do that on X-play as well >.< and it pisses me off, saying fanboys when there are fangirls out there as well, that play the games that they show.
lol sorry, I know there are Sephiroth Fangirls. I've seen women cosplay as him.
riou83

Post by riou83 »

The thing is you got to put into consideration almost everyones heard of megaman while in reality only a small handful of people really know about suikoden or what its about. So alot more people would vote for megaman
over suikoden.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Oppenheimer wrote:Super Smash Brothers is winning over Dragon Quest :shock:

Dragon Quest is the first RPG! It's so immensely popular in Japan that they close schools when a new edition is out. That's crazy!
Dare I say you may be taking this too seriously? It's not the most influential, or best game series. That and I don't know how many Japanese gamers are voting in these polls added to which a fraction of the DQ games have seen a North American release - I'm pretty sure that site is based in North America- you really shouldn't be surprised.

Personally, from my own experience, I'd have voted for Smash. I take it you are participating in these polls? If not, please do. Let your voice be heard.
True Tir Mcdohl

Post by True Tir Mcdohl »

I remember reading in many, many magazines and other sites and what not, and I just remember that in the top 3 of most influential games, Super Mario was #1 while Street Fighter 2 was #2, which to me, I completely agree on any lvl.

The amount of influence these games brought was crazy, Mario Bros for obvious reasons for it being so innovative at the time, and if you had a Nintendo, you had SMB. Street Fighter 2 I could see very clearly why people consider it in the #2 because of the impact it made back in 1991. Although it was not the first game to introduce two characters being allowed to fight one another, it was the first fighting game to have 8 selectable characters who looked and where unique in playstyle from oneanother (except for Ryu and Ken during this time since they where the exact, but after SF2 WW, they started to play very differently) and plus the music and the graphics back then where top notch, with 4 bosses who you had to fight, which made the game extremely addicting.

The amount of people who went to play the game at the arcades was ridiculous, and the arcade cabinets at the time where flushed with people who just wanted to play or else just see the game. I remember back in the days I was really young, and people would be standing on top of other arcade machines just to watch two players play one another in SF2 because it was so jammed packed. This just didn't happen at my local arcade, but everywhere all over the US.

It was insane to how people would be there from when the arcade stands would open, up until it would close, people would skip school, work, some people even went as far as quitting their jobs just so they could play Street Fighter 2 without any hasstle...this was the impact that SF2 made.

Not to mention it started the fighting game era and shot Capcom up to being the #1 video game franchise in the early and mid 90's, this was all due mainly because of how popular Street Fighter 2 was.

If it's influential, I can agree that these two games, definetly deserve their spots. As for SSBM beating out Dragon Quest, well, to be honest, gamefaq's, it's not about "influential" games or how great the game was, it's all about fan's, if there's alot of fan's to that particular series, then they will win. Although I can say that SSBM played at a competetive lvl is very fun and is quite deep.

Like for example, I remember they had a vote, not at gamefaqs, but somewhere else, to which fighting game was the most influential of all time...and Tekken 5 won...seriously...wtf :roll: . So to me, don't take these contest to heart.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Its now Legend of Zelda VS Final Fantasy. LoZ is in the lead right now. But not by alot. I'm kinda interested in who will win.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Oppenheimer wrote:The 108 characters is pretty innovative. But I suppose getting the special powers of the bosses you kill is also innovative around the same level.

You can predict who the final boss is going to be based on the series: Wily, Sigma, etc. It's the same over and over again. At least Suikoden tends to have surprise twists (Windy not fighting you, Luca dying halfway through the game, etc). I do like Mega Man, I'm not saying I don't. I'm just saying it's a little shallow in comparision to Suikoden.
Mega Man also has other games besides the ones you're thinking of. The craptastic Battle Networks, yes, but there's also MegaMan Legends 1 & 2 out there that are quite different from the side-scrollers.
I didn't know about that. But, there's Suikoden Tactics, if you want variety. Plus the card games and the gaidens.
no dude, you've got it mixed up! the Mega Man series always has twists!!
MM4 - oooo, new evil mad scientist Dr. Cossack wants to rule the world!
*TWIST* the darn Wily had his daughter hostage!
MM5 or 6 had "Dr. X" who "unexpectedly" is actually Dr. Wily!!
*TWIST* Mega Man Soccer!!!!! (too bad this game wasn't better developed..)
*TWIST* Zero dies! *TWIST* Zero's back! *TWIST* Zero's dead! *TWIST* Zero's alive! (etc)
also, in some X games, you only find out Sigma's behind the whole scheme before the last stage.. hohoho, and X8 actually featured a new reploid evil mastermind thing that was just using Sigma.

^_^ haha, nice story writing, Capcom.... but the Mega Man games are still one of my favorite series to play, especially after seeing the speed runs and tricks/glitches that were used.. a game that took me several days to tackle as a kid I can now handle in 30 minutes!