How are you so sure?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Felix

How are you so sure?

Post by Felix »

You know I have been thinking, I looked at the Suikosource History and read some of your guys post about what happen here and what happen there. This always strikes me as unsure, how do you guys "KNOW" for 100% fact that your timeline is accurate. I am not saying you guys or liars or not accurate, I just want to know, HOW do you know all this stuff, did Konami make a book or something about the history of Suikoden? I mean I own and played all 5 Suikoden's and would someday like to play the Suikogaidens. And I have yet to get Tactics but plan on it, and I am just wondering how you guys know for sure for all this stuff.
riou83

Post by riou83 »

I believe the majority of the time line is speculation in that it may be +-1 decade or so. There are events that are verfied such as the year the events in each game take place while there are also verified sources that state the origional flame champion war took place so many years befor I cant remember how many.
Wraith

Re: How are you so sure?

Post by Wraith »

Felix wrote:You know I have been thinking, I looked at the Suikosource History and read some of your guys post about what happen here and what happen there. This always strikes me as unsure, how do you guys "KNOW" for 100% fact that your timeline is accurate. I am not saying you guys or liars or not accurate, I just want to know, HOW do you know all this stuff, did Konami make a book or something about the history of Suikoden? I mean I own and played all 5 Suikoden's and would someday like to play the Suikogaidens. And I have yet to get Tactics but plan on it, and I am just wondering how you guys know for sure for all this stuff.
Some japanese publications state these things. I could give some examples from the weblog but its down right now.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

This really has nothing to do with geography at all, so, yeah...
I hope everything is going delicious.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:This really has nothing to do with geography at all, so, yeah...
Yeah, I am sorry, but I guess for some reason my computer says this thread is "Geography/History Questions" so I guess I must update my internet or something... :?

Well thanks for telling me. But yeah I want to see the Weblog ;) it's the one on the Suikosource website right?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: How are you so sure?

Post by patapi »

Felix wrote:You know I have been thinking, I looked at the Suikosource History and read some of your guys post about what happen here and what happen there. This always strikes me as unsure, how do you guys "KNOW" for 100% fact that your timeline is accurate. I am not saying you guys or liars or not accurate, I just want to know, HOW do you know all this stuff, did Konami make a book or something about the history of Suikoden? I mean I own and played all 5 Suikoden's and would someday like to play the Suikogaidens. And I have yet to get Tactics but plan on it, and I am just wondering how you guys know for sure for all this stuff.
Thank you for asking this question. Before I began to learn about the publications personally, I've always wondered where all these info came from. Back then there were facts, but there were never any source of references cited for most of them. Usually it is no more than vauge "some Japanese-only publication" but nothing substantial. The weblog is a great addition though, where we get to read the article translated as is. Nothing beats reading the publications on your own though.

As for the timeline of history, Konami features a summary timeline of major events in some of their publications. The most recent update was included in the two Japanese guidebooks for Suikoden V, so check them out if you insist on knowing the original source.

But, of course, they are nowhere near as comprehensive as the one here. For example, coverage on Rhapsodia events was nil. Similarly, birth years of characters do not appear in such timelines. These have to be deduced by comparing the published age with the timeframe of the respective wars.

Keep in mind that Konami themselves are notorious for being inconsistent in their info over the years, so technically unless these information are showcased in the games themselves, there is a slight possibility that they might change if and when Konami needs them for future canon.
Koden

Post by Koden »

Maybe I should open a new thread for this, but wouldn't it be cool to actually have a book with all of the history in it? Almost like a textbook, only since it's Suikoden, a lot more interesting. That way you could pretty much be on the same level as the characters, knowing the history of their world.

Or maybe I'm just an obsessing nerd...who knows?
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Compiling that all into one book would be a hard task, but that's not the only reason why it hasn't been done. The other, of course, is that the world keeps changing. You release a book, and then a few months later Konami releases another guide that adds on and makes the book miss something. A reliable guide could only be made after the series ended.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Is there such a thing in existence as a Suikoden Wiki? I'm sure I could just as easily search it up on yahoo, but, I figured I'd just ask her instead, hehe.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Doubt it.

Could always start one.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

I meant an entire wiki dedicated to the world of Suikoden, kinda like how WoW Wiki is.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I don't think there's a large enough fan base for Suikoden to have that happen.
Reo
Elite Member

Post by Reo »

There's no reason you can't go into more depth on Wikipedia itself, is there? I mean, look at this:

Saved By The Bell

# 1 History

* 1.1 Good Morning, Miss Bliss
* 1.2 NBC rebirth - Saved by the Bell

# 2 Main characters

* 2.1 Zack Morris
* 2.2 Kelly Kapowski
* 2.3 AC Slater
* 2.4 Jessie Spano
* 2.5 Samuel "Screech" Powers
* 2.6 Lisa Turtle
* 2.7 Richard Belding
* 2.8 Other characters
* 2.9 Good Morning, Miss Bliss characters

# 3 Spin-offs

* 3.1 Saved by the Bell: The College Years
* 3.2 Saved by the Bell: The New Class

# 4 Made-for-TV movies
# 5 Syndication
# 6 Continuity errors
# 7 DVD releases
# 8 Cultural references
# 9 Trivia
# 10 Ties to California Dreams

See Also:
* List of Saved by the Bell episodes
* Saved by the Bell characters
* List of minor characters in Saved by the Bell
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Another example is the Prince of Tennis thing. Hell, Penny Arcade has a wiki for The Elemenstor Saga or whatever it is, and that's just an entirely made up thing (the entire wiki appeared with characters, anime spin-offs, games, etc. all from a SINGLE 3 panel comic) that spawned a wiki. I think if we had a wiki, and somebody who like... knew about wiki coding, etc. it would be pretty easy, and self-moderators and people who weren't posting dumb things.

But, honestly, Suikosource basically IS a wiki for Suikoden without the whole wiki editing part.