Get a Life!

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

I work in the media department at a Best Buy and I see so many social outcasts come in who want anime and different stuff, and they can barely even communicate with me to let me know what they want because they're such recluses and not used to contact. That is so psychologically unhealthy it makes me sad. Some of them are fairly old and I wonder what they're going to do in the real world.
Purr.
Funereal

Post by Funereal »

i'm not going to read all the posts in this thread, but i already have a good idea as to what it's about...

i post on the Relapse Records message board and there was a thread that came up recently basically insulting the people who play games all the time and don't "have a life". for example there was this one guy who insulted his roommate who became a recluse for several weeks after one of the Final Fantasy games came out. on this particular board, the people who were putting down excessive gamers were people who do numerous amounts of drugs, drink beer like it's water, etc. as far as i'm concerned, none of that is healthy either.

anyways...the way i see it, we all have our vices, some have drugs, some have gambling, some have video games, and so on.
Ryuji Densetsu

Post by Ryuji Densetsu »

GET A LIFE!!!

Where can I download that? *blink*

Thats what I usually answer, and then they start laughing and its all good again :P

EDIT: Don't worry, I will resize my avatar ASAP, I guess it is too big :(
IAS

Post by IAS »

I gonna write this for everyone out there that actually read this

Get a life or be an otaku (happy or isolated, it do not matter)...
Swords, staffs, crystals... everything you need for your revolution right here for some bits!!!
andarc_22

Post by andarc_22 »

Pollensalta wrote:I work in the media department at a Best Buy and I see so many social outcasts come in who want anime and different stuff, and they can barely even communicate with me to let me know what they want because they're such recluses and not used to contact. That is so psychologically unhealthy it makes me sad. Some of them are fairly old and I wonder what they're going to do in the real world.
Im a little late on this but i have to say something about it im kind of one of those people but im not a recluse i love going out and doing things but im not very social with people due a matter in my past that has made me bitter twards people so im not really shy as people say i just dont really like talking to people they seem to forward too willing to open themselves up and try to get me to do the same and then when i do judgement so i understand a little where those kind of people are coming from.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

andarc_22 wrote:
Pollensalta wrote:I work in the media department at a Best Buy and I see so many social outcasts come in who want anime and different stuff, and they can barely even communicate with me to let me know what they want because they're such recluses and not used to contact. That is so psychologically unhealthy it makes me sad. Some of them are fairly old and I wonder what they're going to do in the real world.
Im a little late on this but i have to say something about it im kind of one of those people but im not a recluse i love going out and doing things but im not very social with people due a matter in my past that has made me bitter twards people so im not really shy as people say i just dont really like talking to people they seem to forward too willing to open themselves up and try to get me to do the same and then when i do judgement so i understand a little where those kind of people are coming from.
Love to see you say that in one breath.
bitarg

Post by bitarg »

I love playing video games but to choose between games and hanging out with friends? I will always choose friends because games will always be there but friends may not.
Tyrone Biggums for President!
andarc_22

Post by andarc_22 »

Feldoon wrote:
andarc_22 wrote:
Love to see you say that in one breath.
I usually can but i say period after every paragraph when i speak its funny how things end up bass akwards like that.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Well, for the past year of my life I was completely consumed in World of Warcraft, and my life pretty much consisted of that. I did make it a priority to attend school and all that jazz though, so it's not like I blew everything off. Until recently, the whole 'end game' stuff started happening, I think it was my first taste of end game MMO... so... it got a little out of hand. I was signed up for raids almost every single day of the week, and me and my girlfriend scheduled stuff around WoW, etc. it was pretty crazy. I took a two week break, and all I really noticed is, aside from having free will again and raiding schedules not controlling when I sleep/hang out with friends/etc. I pretty much still sit around and watch anime and play videogames.

It's not like I can't socially interact with people or anything like that, but, even when I do, it's usually me playing multiplayer games or watching movies with other folks... it's just how I choose to live my life. I think it also depends on where you live, if you live in a city where there is a lot to do, naturally you won't be glued to your TV, but, if you're in a place where there isn't much to do aside from get wasted with friends, and alcohol isn't available to you legally or you just don't like to drink/do drugs/whatever, then chances are you're either going to be a bookworm or a gamer or whatever. It's very hard to 'get a life', when everyone has different ideas of what living their life is.

As for the whole drug/alcohol stuff, it really depends, drinking is fine in moderation and when you're not doing it to just get wasted (atleast in my opinion, social drinking is fine, frat party drinking is just retarded to say the least), and anybody who spends their life being high on drugs, really has no right to tell anybody to get a life, since they're not even living their own.

All of this talk about real life has reminded me of an old creative writing project I did... ::makes a new post::
Luc

Post by Luc »

andarc_22 wrote:
You just proved Pollensalta's point.
Sagiri

Re: Get a Life!

Post by Sagiri »

I have been told to "get a life", but not so much over video games, more of the INTENSE ANIME ADDICTION that people think I have, for some reason. I don't sit in a dark room alone and watch anime on a computer. Nope. No. Not. At. ALL.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

The term itself can only be defined by the individual. Some goof can't come up to me and say "Get a life" and expect me to do what he does. My life could be going to school, work or whatever, and the video game sessions.

To me, if someone is happy with this, then by all means: that is their life.
Hell, if someone is happy with being on the internet 24/7 or a game, then it's their life.
Whether or not it's sad is always up to debate, but I'll stay out of it.

But, no one has ever said that to me. I think it's because they already know I don't have a life -- not because of games, but school. I'm almost always there. And when I'm not, I'm either busy with it's work or too tired to function. (But I'm sure it'll be worth it when I graduate and eventually own my own Inn. . . . . . . . . . .yeah, right)

I'd apply a cute little shrug gif, but that's against the rules. So imagine it and be all "ooOOoOOoh!!!" :)

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Amen, Deon! I don't think its for us to to judge recluses as weak or pathetic, tell them they don't have a life and righ them off as useless because they are not contributing to society. There are always underlying probles that would make people behave in such a way, and who's to say society itself couldn't be one fo those factors? If people want to stay glued to their computers all day and not work, so be it. Its their life

It takes all kinds.

P.S. ''ooOOoOOoh!''
Thiamor

Post by Thiamor »

Life is how and where you make it. If you live, that is your LIFE. If you do something, anything, that is your life. Someone saying for you to get one will always, forever, be irrelevant to you, due to your life is yours and there for the shaping. Also most people into Anime, games and Magna...are not 'social outcasts'. There are more into it a lot (hardcore), that are not, compared to those who are socially awkward and backwards. Those who are (or were, too), were more or less messed with, and they saw Anime, liked it, and paid no attention to the world other than that of what they liked.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

KC_MCDOHL wrote:

P.S. ''ooOOoOOoh!''
You're awesome!

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore