Get a Life!

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Pollensalta wrote:Come on, now, don't diss getting completely WASTED OUT OF YOUR FACE.
A woman after my own heart.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

Waylander wrote:
Pollensalta wrote: I think it's also important to work and I hate it when people don't, and all they do is sit on their butt and play games or veg at the computer. The ones who completely neglect society and their duties to it and become completely wrapped up in their little online world... I think they DO need lives.
I can see both sides of this coin, but what exactly do one's duties to society entail and who laid those ground rules? Are we not free to do as we will: play games all day, drink all day, etcetera... ? or is someone else dictating our lives and what we should do.
Well, if you don't work. Where do you find the money to buy games or drinks and things like that?
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Most people who work do so for very selfish reasons. Volunteer jobs that make you feel like your contributing to society usually don't pay well, if at all. I have a couple of jobs: I work in the day to pay off student loans, rent, and the rest of my bills; I do gigs at night for fun, not for society, but because I want to. I like the energy of performing live music and the free drinks that come with it. If people pay me in the process, I don't say no. Both jobs help me buy games, but neither does a service to society in my opinion.

As to people's source of income, everyone has varying means I'm sure. If I could sit on my ass all day and play video games, then go rock out with my friends at night, and not have to work; please believe, I would. It's a luxuery I don't have but I'm not going to hate on those who do, nor would I say they have no life. I've felt when people say 'You have no life' what they mean is "Your interest don't conicide with mine, so you kinnda suck." It's pretty shallow, but that's just my take.
ViktorFan

Re: Get a Life!

Post by ViktorFan »

dragonmasterx wrote:For those of you that play games all the time, has anyone ever told you "get a life"? How do you respond to that?

I think they're full of **** when they say that. How is playing video games all the time not a life? Video games ARE my life. It's what I enjoy doing
It may be ok when you're a single but not if you have a partner. That's what happened to me. The last time of our relationship my partner had only eyes for his computer and all the games and consoles (he had all consoles which were available here). At the end we didn't spend any time together, we had nothing more in common, he was always sitting in the living-room surrounded by his games and lived in his virtual world, he didn't notice me no longer and I was very lonely even though I had a relationship. One day this situation was so unbearable for me that I separated with him because this wasn't the life I wanted to live. After the separation I hated computer and most of all the playstation. It's a long time ago and meanwhile I changed this but I don't play often.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

ViktorFan wrote:
dragonmasterx wrote:For those of you that play games all the time, has anyone ever told you "get a life"? How do you respond to that?

I think they're full of **** when they say that. How is playing video games all the time not a life? Video games ARE my life. It's what I enjoy doing
It may be ok when you're a single but not if you have a partner. That's what happened to me. The last time of our relationship my partner had only eyes for his computer and all the games and consoles (he had all consoles which were available here). At the end we didn't spend any time together, we had nothing more in common, he was always sitting in the living-room surrounded by his games and lived in his virtual world, he didn't notice me no longer and I was very lonely even though I had a relationship. One day this situation was so unbearable for me that I separated with him because this wasn't the life I wanted to live. After the separation I hated computer and most of all the playstation. It's a long time ago and meanwhile I changed this but I don't play often.
Did you try to change it?

If I was in a relationship(wich dousn't seem likely to happen any time soon) I'd probably be playing alot as well(However, I'm not that obsessed compared to alot of other people). However if the person said to me "your spending too much time on the computer!" then I'd break up with her, I spend my free time how I want to. However, if she said "your not spending enough time with me!" it would be different. I'd then try to make more time.
ViktorFan

Post by ViktorFan »

Wraith wrote:
Did you try to change it?

If I was in a relationship(wich dousn't seem likely to happen any time soon) I'd probably be playing alot as well(However, I'm not that obsessed compared to alot of other people). However if the person said to me "your spending too much time on the computer!" then I'd break up with her, I spend my free time how I want to. However, if she said "your not spending enough time with me!" it would be different. I'd then try to make more time.
Of course I tried, I tried it for a long time and I suggested other things to him but he didn't want. So I gave up.
Raftrider

Post by Raftrider »

Ushiku, take me now! Take me NOW! :D

Dude, I agree with you. I love how these people have told me (or the individuals that play RPGs, watch anime, etc.) that I have no life and yet these people are so insecure, they'll conform to anything new in the mainstream. My life is nothing but video games and the martial arts. In comparison to these people, they're the sheep and I'm the wolf. I don't give a flying fornication what people think of me. To get an idea of the degree of how much I DON'T CARE, my high school graduating class nominated me as "Most Unique." Who else do you guys know that will come to school wearing an eye patch, or dressed like Naked Snake just for the hell of it?
Lurker1

Post by Lurker1 »

ViktorFan wrote:
Of course I tried, I tried it for a long time and I suggested other things to him but he didn't want. So I gave up.
Sometimes people are just not ment to be to many differances between them it happens. I have been in a few relationships that haven't worked out simply because I felt they were asking to much and I wasn't getting anything back and they felt I wasn't giving enough, relationships are a give and take thing and some people want to take then give nothing or very small things in return not sure if that was the case with you.

Anyway I have been very lucky to have meet my curren fiancée who I will marry next mouth. We have alot in common and we both understand(to the point it is weird sometimes) each other and our needs and always seem reach a common agreement on everything.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

when someone tells you to "get a life" they are bassically telling you that your not living the way you should be

if a bunch of party goers told you to"get a life" then that deffinition would be to enjoy life by partying

where as in opposition if a hard working individual said that then he would want you to work hard

"get a life" means do what I think you should be doing

my personal oppinion? dont be excessive on anyting, if you play video games then play them but dont make them your life...yea its your life and you can choose what you want but in the long run its not healthy for you to do 1 thing all the time, if you dont know what else you can do then explore and see if you like something else, have multiple choices and do different things

should everyone have a job? yea they deffinetley should so they can contribute to society and so they can know that what they got.... they got through hard work, if you have an outside job or a labor job then there's your excersise right there...and your social issues can also be fixed if you make friends at your work place...so a job deffenitley can balance out your life...and of course you can get money to buy stuff

also I find that having a job gets you excited to be able to come home and turn on a game instead of just staring at the tv all the time and getting bored, which brings us back to the point of doing different things..if your going to the job, goign out to hang with friends and then got some games to play and things to watch on tv then your not gonna be bored, your gonna feel fullfilled and satisfied with your life and thats just not a feeling you get when you do the same thing all day
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

Raftrider wrote:Ushiku, take me now! Take me NOW! :D

Dude, I agree with you. I love how these people have told me (or the individuals that play RPGs, watch anime, etc.) that I have no life and yet these people are so insecure, they'll conform to anything new in the mainstream. My life is nothing but video games and the martial arts. In comparison to these people, they're the sheep and I'm the wolf. I don't give a flying fornication what people think of me. To get an idea of the degree of how much I DON'T CARE, my high school graduating class nominated me as "Most Unique." Who else do you guys know that will come to school wearing an eye patch, or dressed like Naked Snake just for the hell of it?
Now that is cool!

I came dressed as a Prince once in my very own royal outfit I had my auntie design and make for me, which is why I'm glad that Suikoden 5's main character is a Prince.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
malicesoul

Post by malicesoul »

This never really bothered me. This is because most people telling me to "get a life" generally don't have or lead very good ones themselves. All these drugs, drinking, driving, stds, pregnantsy, vomiting all over the place, trash stuff for no reason. In fact, these kinds of people rarely finish highschool. I just look back at them now and laugh. Where are they now.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

malicesoul wrote:This never really bothered me. This is because most people telling me to "get a life" generally don't have or lead very good ones themselves. All these drugs, drinking, driving, stds, pregnantsy, vomiting all over the place, trash stuff for no reason. In fact, these kinds of people rarely finish highschool. I just look back at them now and laugh. Where are they now.
What are you talking about? There are plenty of people who aren't complete garbage to society, whether they do those things you talk about or sit on their bums and do nothing but live in their own fantasy world. There are so many people in between, so many people who can live their life in moderation (work, rest, social time, personal time) ...

Everything in moderation, kids.
Purr.
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

I don't need to find a life, my life is Suikoden ^.^ and there it shall remain. While at work, I listen to mainly my Suikoden CD's and though I haven't finished Tactics nor V, it is still my life. Ok I'm done now... >.>;;;
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Life... It was bad when I was playing WoW. I played about 5-10 hours WoW a day( Minimum, maximum was the entire day , wich happened quite alot). The only reason I continued was because I didn't want to leave all my friends. But I eventually did it. NOw I play alot less. Right now I am playing Counter-Strike again but only about 1 or 3 hours when I have time(and not every day). I also meet up with friends IRL more often now.
Mikalakatov wrote:I don't need to find a life, my life is Suikoden ^.^ and there it shall remain. While at work, I listen to mainly my Suikoden CD's and though I haven't finished Tactics nor V, it is still my life. Ok I'm done now... >.>;;;
Taste in music is personal so no one can judge that. I can't see anyone saying 'get a life!' because of someone's choice of music. I suppose I'd listen to Legend of Zelda music if I had an Ipod(not likely but you get the point, I'd rather put on the Love HIna intro and/or Rurouni Kenshin intro).

nah just kidding, I'd have metal on it.
Koujirou

Post by Koujirou »

It seems to me that the people who tell others to 'get a life' are the ones with issues. Namely closed-mindedness and ignorance. Usually to an extreme.

Besides, it's the unique people that are more fun to hang out with if you ask me.