Wii

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Lourde Incarnadine

Post by Lourde Incarnadine »

I think the Wii is a perfect example of why I look to Nintendo more for handhelds than consoles.

I don't really care for the online gameplay trend either, honestly; I don't find talking to a bunch of thirteen-year-old ADD-diagnosed 1337-monkeys to be particularly stimulating or gratifying. The social aspect isn't very appealing if there's no one worth socializing with, and the games themselves (like MMORPGs) always feel very lacking in the things that I play RPGs for.

So what are the die-hard fans going to be, anyway? The Wii Folk? Wiiniis? No, wait, I've got it: The Wii Frii Men.

What, no laughs? I swear, sometimes you just can't wiin for luusing...
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

personally, i think name's are trivial. people that dismiss it simply because of that are lame, nothing else. and it's sad, i know so many people will. "It's frickin' called a Wii!! I'm gonna go play the 50-cent game instead..."

i'll admit, it is a pretty strange name though.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

[quote="amelia108"]personally, i think name's are trivial. quote]

I was gonna expand on this but why? I agree with Amelia. It is strange but to me it's already forgotten.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

The name is annoying, but it's not an issue with me.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

amelia108 wrote:personally, i think name's are trivial. people that dismiss it simply because of that are lame, nothing else. and it's sad, i know so many people will. "It's frickin' called a Wii!! I'm gonna go play the 50-cent game instead..."

i'll admit, it is a pretty strange name though.
No the name won't make or break the system, but this it certainly is going to be made fun of for awhile. People were really taking Nintendo seriously this time around and now people are going to make jokes about how it sounds like a little kid talking about peeing.

If the games are good it should be bought. Of course I have a feeling most people are going to either call it the Revolution anyway or make some other nickname for it to avoid saying that terrible name.

Heck a couple of my friends are huge Nintendo backers and even they admited they have absolutely no idea why they changed the name to THAT.
Lourde Incarnadine

I saw a rumor floating around stating that neither Nintendo nor any of its dummy corporations have actually copyrighted the name "Wii", suggesting that we might be getting Punk'd by Nintendo.

Absolutely no idea if it's true or not, though; might just be the denial talking. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Shula

Post by Shula »

Lourde Incarnadine wrote:I saw a rumor floating around stating that neither Nintendo nor any of its dummy corporations have actually copyrighted the name "Wii", suggesting that we might be getting Punk'd by Nintendo.

Absolutely no idea if it's true or not, though; might just be the denial talking. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
I heard that rumor too,I hope it isn't true though. I like the name its weird and original(for a game console).I mean its not just adding a 2(or 3 OR 360) to its name.Nintendo is really trying something new this generation in name and gaming.I hope they both work out and I'll be buying a "Wii" the day it comes out. :)

Note*I'm not trying to bash Sony or Microsoft I just think there next gen console names are uncreative :roll:
Lourde Incarnadine

Shula wrote:
Lourde Incarnadine wrote:I saw a rumor floating around stating that neither Nintendo nor any of its dummy corporations have actually copyrighted the name "Wii", suggesting that we might be getting Punk'd by Nintendo.

I heard that rumor too,I hope it isn't true though. I like the name its weird and original(for a game console).I mean its not just adding a 2(or 3 OR 360) to its name.Nintendo is really trying something new this generation in name and gaming.I hope they both work out and I'll be buying a "Wii" the day it comes out. :)

Note*I'm not trying to bash Sony or Microsoft I just think there next gen console names are uncreative :roll:
Not I; I never buy a system the day it comes out. It's all about the games for me--I wait until there are enough games out for a system that I want to play badly enough to justify buying the system. I'm very mercenary that way; I don't give a damn about Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft, or Sony. Whoever gives me what I want gets my $$$, and whoever doesn't, doesn't. No brand loyalty whatsoever. :D

As for the "Wii", I can see some of the reasoning behind it. Not the crock of **** that the PR department hooked for that little video explaining the name, but the practical reasoning--differentiating the product from its competitors in the mind of the consumer, making the product "stick" in the mind, and generating controversy to help it stick. And it IS creative. But "creative" doesn't necessarily equate to "good", just "different". While the reasons BEHIND the name may be smart, the name itself is still... stupid. If I get a Wii, it won't be because of the stupid name or the unorthodox controller; it'll be because of the software library.

The sad thing is that the damned things will probably sell better than anything with a name like "Wii" has any right to, with strong sales of first-party titles encouraging third-party developers to experiment and turn what could otherwise be dismissed as a gimmick into a unique and compelling selling point. :roll: Even if it doesn't, though, Nintendo can usually use handheld profits to carry them through a bad system. Somehow I doubt that the Wii would be the death of Nintendo even if they didn't sell ANY of them.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

Waylander wrote:I have seen it confirmed on multiple web pages that Sega and Turbo Grax 16 games will be supporting the new Nintendo *refuses to call it, its new name.* I couldn't find it fast hence no link, but search IGN's page they had a good article on it awhile back.

Jeez ,I need to be working.
That makes me sick.

the Brilliance of Sega...on a nintendo console..

blegh..The only bad thing about Sega was marketing and timing, they had the hardware and the software, they just didn't have the damn timing.

I miss Sega.. *goes to cuddle his Genesis and Dreamcast*
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

I love Sega games too, but I'm kinda glad they don't have a new console out. One less to buy.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

I'm looking at the live press conference and let me tell you. Its amazing. The controller is just so friggin amazing, it even convinced a hardcore PS2/3 gamer friend of mine to buy the Wii.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is just so amazing, I can't wait to play it! And apparently they'll make 2 different Zelda TP games, one for the Wii controler and one for the Gamecube.

Reggie wouldn't tell us the price or the release date sadly.

I just can't wait anymore.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

What I find most interesting about the new Nintendo is Sony's immediate imitation of the concept behind the controller. It will have a motion sensitive "tilt" function. About 1% of what the Nintendo control is supposed to do, but nonetheless, imitation is the greatest flattery.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Waylander wrote:What I find most interesting about the new Nintendo is Sony's immediate imitation of the concept behind the controller. It will have a motion sensitive "tilt" function. About 1% of what the Nintendo control is supposed to do, but nonetheless, imitation is the greatest flattery.
it just proves how great nintendo really is, sony must really respect them/fear them

im sure that tilt feature was a last minute addition when they saw the revolution when nintendo first revealed it{it was called the revolution back then..}
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

son_michael wrote:{it was called the revolution back then..}
The good old days...
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Waylander wrote:
son_michael wrote:{it was called the revolution back then..}
The good old days...
I loved Reggies comment on it

" First of all we want to thank all the people who wrote good reviews about the new name *silent pause* ... Both of you."