Wii

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Lourde Incarnadine

Post by Lourde Incarnadine »

Wraith wrote:
Waylander wrote:
son_michael wrote:{it was called the revolution back then..}
The good old days...
I loved Reggies comment on it

" First of all we want to thank all the people who wrote good reviews about the new name *silent pause* ... Both of you."
Yes, congratulations to the die-hard suck-up Nintendo fanboys. No thanks for those of us who were actually honest. :P
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Did anyone else see or read the post E3 media stuff out there? The name aside, I was really impressed with Nintendo. It seems they are learning from past bad decisions. The tentative launch is very impressive. Games with the names: Zelda, Metriod, Dragon Quest, Monkey Ball, and Final Fantasy will be available when it comes out.

That said, I was more surprised with the commitment that Nintendo is making down the road. Smash Brothers, Fire Emblem, and Mario Galaxy are all expected soon after launch. Than kind of sustained assault of games was not present with the cube by Nintendo, let alone third parties. I haven’t played it yet, and only read about or seen video of the games, but I was excited. I think they will do much better with Wii than the Cube (due in no part to the system’s respective names.)
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

I found this interesting, as far as the view of the Wii overseas

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/710/710133p1.html
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Waylander wrote:I found this interesting, as far as the view of the Wii overseas

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/710/710133p1.html
The maximum price is estimated to be 200€ for the Wii. Thats because almost all other nintendo consoles went for that price at release. PS3 is about 499-599. Thats a HUGE difference and because of that most people will first buy a Wii and wait for the PS3 price to drop. So that probably affected the poll the most.

I'm going to start saving money for a Wii and PS3.I already sold my Xbox on E-bay. I've been thinking about selling my gamecube as well. The sooner I do so the more money I'l get out of it. But then I won't be able to replay so many games until the Wii gets released...
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

There's a poll on GameFaqs asking which system people are most excited about, and the Wii has a HUGE lead over everyone else. Am I the only person NOT excited about the Wii?

What's the big deal about it? The controller is stupid looking and the graphic capabilities are not much better then the GameCube. So what you can play online? The X-Box, X-box 360, PS2, and PS3 can do the same thing...Hell the PS3 will have a free online service.

Why all the hype for the Wii?
PSN: FreshMetal80
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Everyone will feel differently, but I'm excited because it's something different. I like traditional stuff too, and if the XBOX 360 ever gives me 4 or 5 good reason (software) then I am sooo buying one. When the price of a PS3, games, extra controller, ect. is less than my monthly mortgage, then I will buy one of those too.

This may be Nintendo marketing talking but I also think age plays into this console. People I know that have been playing games since the NES days are kind of tired of the status qou and wouldn't mind something radically different. Also life styles of the 16-21 year old vs. the 26 and older professional dictate spending. (I wasn't making up my above example.) Whereas if you started playing games at 14 and the only console you've ever had was an XBOX, your loyalty is probably blindly set - with no real reason- and the new Nintendo will look like a gimmick. It's a matter of perspective.

I know belligerent Yankee fans that don't come close to the passionate feelings of a Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft fanboy. (And I'm not calling you a fanboy.) If you can view the new Nintendo with an open, objective mind at bare minimum I think most people would be curiously intrigued.

On a more non intellectual line of thought; have you seen the games for the new Nintendo? God Damn! Software on that thing is out of control. Just looking at the launch games alone, that maybe the most impressive launch for a console ever. Not even to mention the titles in work post launch.
Night

Post by Night »

freshmetal wrote:Hell the PS3 will have a free online service.
Just as a side note, I think Sony have scrapped their plans for a free online service, and it's looking up to be more expensive than Xbox Live. This was from the Sony rep who comes around all the games stores, although he didn't phrase it quite that way (something about many great possibilities that warranted the extra value for money or something).

But back to the Wii, it does look exceptionally cool and at such a cheap price tag it's quite hard to say no to (in the UK, the PS3 60gig launch model is looking to be around £400 - £450, while the Wii is going to be under £150). Plus, the games do look like fun, while the little we've seen from PS3 games haven't really generated any excitement at all.
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Alen

Post by Alen »

freshmetal wrote:There's a poll on GameFaqs asking which system people are most excited about, and the Wii has a HUGE lead over everyone else. Am I the only person NOT excited about the Wii?

What's the big deal about it? The controller is stupid looking and the graphic capabilities are not much better then the GameCube. So what you can play online? The X-Box, X-box 360, PS2, and PS3 can do the same thing...Hell the PS3 will have a free online service.

Why all the hype for the Wii?
No, I don't really care for it, either. It just looked awkward to use, and probably difficult at times, too. Not only that, but Peter Molyneux makes some good points on the controller:
When Molyneux first realised that players might be able to swing a motion-sensing controller just like they would a sword, he thought the concept was "brilliant! But then I realised, when I looked at myself in the mirror, I actually looked really stupid.

"And if I do that," Molyneux continued, waving an imaginary sword in a much less expansive way, "Even with nothing in my hand, I get tired very, very quickly."

"It became a real problem. I think motion-sensitivity is very, very useful, but I think the obvious way of doing it - unless you're dealing with a 15 to 20 minute experience at most of actually being hugely physical - is not where the opportunity lies here," Molyneux continued.

"I think it's a more creative medium. It's not turning a controller into a sword... You cannot do it for 20 hours."
To be fair, though, none of these "next generation" consoles seem very appealing. The PlayStation 3 just costs too damn much and not very many games have been announced for it (that interest me), the latter part is true for the X-Box 360, as well. The Revolution, likewise, doesn't really seem like it'll have much I care too much about. I'm also hoping, for Nintendo's sake, that their "classic controller" can be used with all games in place of the remote.

I'm pretty much just sick of all the praise the Revolution is getting when it's not even out yet. You really can't go a day without reading -- somewhere -- someone sucking up to Nintendo and the Revolution. It's just ridiculous. Plus, I'm fairly bitter towards Nintendo because of the abysmal Nintendo 64 and GameCube. Both of which I bought, and both of which I regret. The DS is alright, though, if only developers would stop using the stylus and touch screen for stupid things -- this is something I feel will mar the Revolution, too. I've always played neutral in the ridiculous console wars, but it's kind of hard NOT to label the Revolution's controller and motion sensoring a "gimmick".

I won't be getting any of the 3 next generation consoles until they actually present something worth my time and money. The Revolution, though, gets a single extra point for allowing the ability to play TurboGrafx16 games. I'm doubting many people will know what that is, though.
Night

Post by Night »

Alen wrote:I'm also hoping, for Nintendo's sake, that their "classic controller" can be used with all games in place of the remote.
I'm sure it will change on a game-by-game basis, but there is also a standard controller that the remote-type controller plugs into.

Here's the controller on its own:

http://www.planetgamecube.com/media/2533/1/22060.jpg

A quick google doesn't turn up any pictures of the remote plugged into it though, so I'm inclined to think that idea has been scrapped. However, Google image search isn't necessarily always the definitive answer to my gaming questions, so I could just be lying through my teeth.

*Edit* And that's what happens when I'm just so damn eager to help that I don't read properly, and tell someone what they already know :oops:
Last edited by Night on Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Alen

Post by Alen »

Night wrote:
Alen wrote:I'm also hoping, for Nintendo's sake, that their "classic controller" can be used with all games in place of the remote.
I'm sure it will change on a game-by-game basis, but there is also a standard controller that the remote-type controller plugs into.

That's what I was talking about. They called it the "Classic" controller, I believe, and I assumed that it could be used in place of the Remote. I haven't bothered looking too much into the Revolution, so, there's always the chance that the controller will wind up only being used for their "emulation," or whatever you want to call it.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I'm not slammin' Nintendo at all. I owned and still own the 8-bit NES and also own a GameCube. I know that the Wii has a handfull of good titles for launch, but i'm afraid that's all they're gonna have. The GameCube had good titles too, but a couple years later, that's all i have is a couple good games. I only own about five GameCube games that i really like, opposed to the 30+ PS2 games i own.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Alen wrote:
Night wrote:

That's what I was talking about. They called it the "Classic" controller, I believe, and I assumed that it could be used in place of the Remote. I haven't bothered looking too much into the Revolution, so, there's always the chance that the controller will wind up only being used for their "emulation," or whatever you want to call it.
That controller will only be used for games such as F-Zero, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and games from the Virtual Console(the downloadable retro games). Not all games will work well with the remote/nunchuck attachement so they'll use a classic controller. But most games(I'm thinking 80% or more) will use the remote and attachements.