Silent Hill: The movie (spoilers about it)

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Silent Hill: The movie (spoilers about it)

Post by Oppenheimer »

I just went and saw it last night. I really liked it, more than most video games to movies. I think it really helps if you have played all the games (well, 1 and 2) but, it's not entirely necessary. The pyramid head character from #2 is in the movie but given no background, so it's better to know about him from the game. It's too bad it's getting such bad ratings.

The ending is a bit of a cliffhanger but it just leads the way for a sequel.

However, I want another game out soon, I don't want Konami spending all their time on the movie.

What did everyone else think?
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I saw it too! I thought it was awsome but I havent actually played any of the games so I have nothing to compare it too

in terms of a scary movie though...it really wasn't scary at all and in that sense it was a dissapointment since everyone has told me the video game is SCARY

but it had a really good story and I enjoyed the characters and all the cool darkness stuff

btw...that poor cop didn't deserve what she got :(
Last edited by son_michael on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yeah poor Cybil, she can actually survive the first game if you get the good ending, otherwise she goes crazy and you kill her personally :shock:

Well, as horror games go I'd have to say Silent Hill is the most disturbing. Scary? hmmm that's hard to say, but definetly disturbing. But, you're right I found The Ring far scarier than Silent Hill. However, I was a little bit removed from the movie becuase I was constantly comparing it to the game as I watched it. I only get scared when I'm absorbed into the movie.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Oppenheimer wrote:Well, as horror games go I'd have to say Silent Hill is the most disturbing. Scary? hmmm that's hard to say, but definetly disturbing. But, you're right I found The Ring far scarier than Silent Hill. However, I was a little bit removed from the movie becuase I was constantly comparing it to the game as I watched it. I only get scared when I'm absorbed into the movie.
I guess I had an advantage then :D

1 thing I REALLY loved about the movie was that in certain parts it actually felt like a video game! an example would be when she opened the desk in the school it just reminded me of a survival horror type of video game where you collect clues to open doors and stuff.{the hotel was probably the coolest puzzle solving scene} I think the movie was beautifully done and I think its 1 of the FEW movies that actually have a video game feel to it
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I thought the movie was freakin' awesome!!! The games scare the hell out of me, but i didn't think the movie was scarey.
I did like how most of the movie's music was taken directly from the games.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Bad ratings? I think you meant bad reviews, Oppenheimer.

Silent Hill was great, minus the terrible plot twist near the end. The Pyramid Head ripping the kid's skin off was badass. I wish that would happen to every little bastard that threw rocks.
Shula

Post by Shula »

I saw it yesterday(finally!) and in my opinion is the best video game to movie so far.Well not that it had alot of competition :lol: I especially liked the ending where those religious(cultists?) zealots got what they deserved :wink:
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

The movie had been faithful to the game in some points, like the small alley and camera angles near the beginning.

Still, IMO I would recommend it to people who did not play the series. It has a good independent plot somehow, but the original game story is much better, really.
Night

Post by Night »

I hate to be the only downer here, but I really didn't enjoy this movie at all :(

There was a fair bit that seemed random and didn't make sense (perhaps because I hadn't played the games), it wasn't at all scary (the trailers had made it seem like a proper horror movie), and it some parts it was almost unbearably cheesy (thinking of the barbed wire tentacles at the end in particular). Oh yeah, and the ending seemed like a total cop out, and some of the acting was kinda sub-standard.

Perhaps I missed something, so if someone could explain these things to me I'd be most grateful.

1. When they discover the edge of the town, and are attacked by the lurching things that spit acid, why were they attacked? It wasn't during one of the nightmare phases, and that's the only other time monsters are seen.

2. What was with the big triangle-head guy, and the bugs? From what was said previously I know that was from the game, so what was the story there?

3. Why does Sean Bean's daughter always get the raw deal, no matter what film he's in? :wink:

4. Why was the Mum's jeep visible in both realities, but the cop's motorcycle was only seen in the nightmare Silent Hill?

5. Why did the cop fight the guys to start with, then when the lift got away just let herself get beaten? It was very dramatic, but didn't make much sense (to me anyway).

6. Why did the guys dressed as miners chase after her without saying anything? It seemed like she was the first outsider they'd have seen since the big catastrophe, and it was non-nightmare time, so why did they just chase her silently?
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I can answer question 2 for you

the big triangle head guy and the bugs are all reflections of the little girls hate and anguish,creatures created from the darkness of her heart, she was burned and deformed so all her creatures reflect what she looks like or more importantly...what she feels in her heart
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Night wrote:1. When they discover the edge of the town, and are attacked by the lurching things that spit acid, why were they attacked? It wasn't during one of the nightmare phases, and that's the only other time monsters are seen.

2. What was with the big triangle-head guy, and the bugs? From what was said previously I know that was from the game, so what was the story there?

3. Why does Sean Bean's daughter always get the raw deal, no matter what film he's in? :wink:

4. Why was the Mum's jeep visible in both realities, but the cop's motorcycle was only seen in the nightmare Silent Hill?

5. Why did the cop fight the guys to start with, then when the lift got away just let herself get beaten? It was very dramatic, but didn't make much sense (to me anyway).

6. Why did the guys dressed as miners chase after her without saying anything? It seemed like she was the first outsider they'd have seen since the big catastrophe, and it was non-nightmare time, so why did they just chase her silently?
You're right, it dosen't make 100% sense. The reason for that is becuase it's a crazy horror nightmare world. When you're having a nightmare, does it always make sense? No. Part of the "scariness" of it is that not everything is explained, you're supposed to feel confused, that's part of being frightened and powerless. I agree that there are some elements from the game that they put in the movie without explaining that was a bit unfair, but the movie is basically fan treatment for people who liked the game, so what do you expect. I didn't think everyone who had never played the game would like the movie.

Answers for you:
1) The explanation to this is relatively simple: As soon as the cop and Rose were knocked unconcious when they crashed they left the real world and entered the mind of the little girl world. In the real world there is no ash falling from the sky, or fog, or any of the survivors or any monsters. When the "nightmare" dark version happens it isn't everyone going into the mind of the girl, they're already there, it just gets worse as the dark side of her mind takes hold.

2) He's a creation of her mind, but according to Silent Hill 2, "Silent Hill" fed her the character out of their cultural mythos. The triangle head people were the executioners whe Silent Hill was first founded. They wore cages on their heads instead of a cloth face mask like real executioners did in real life. But Alyssesa uses the executioner image as an "avatar" to help kill those she hates.

3) . . . I'll skip that one.

4) I didn't notice that the motorcycle wasn't in the real world. Are you sure they just didn't bother to show it? The perspective in the real world is the husband and he's not looking for the cop, just the mother.

5) She was trying to give Rose time to get away. If she had tried to squeeze into the elevator and then remove the thing the men might have grabbed her or proped the door open more or got in the elevator. She probably would have been able to get away fine, but the cop was just making sure by guarding the door while it closed.

6) The survivors aren't exactly friendly. The only reason they didn't attack people on sight who they didn't recognize lateron might be becuase Christabella was with them. Either that or they thought she was a monster. I don't know what they were thinking.
Night

Post by Night »

1) The explanation to this is relatively simple: As soon as the cop and Rose were knocked unconcious when they crashed they left the real world and entered the mind of the little girl world. In the real world there is no ash falling from the sky, or fog, or any of the survivors or any monsters. When the "nightmare" dark version happens it isn't everyone going into the mind of the girl, they're already there, it just gets worse as the dark side of her mind takes hold.
Ah. See I get that the Silent Hill they found themselves in (ash and all) is in the mind of the little girl. But any time we see monsters, it happens when the dark side of her mind takes hold. Except for the acid-spitting monsters.
didn't notice that the motorcycle wasn't in the real world. Are you sure they just didn't bother to show it? The perspective in the real world is the husband and he's not looking for the cop, just the mother.
True, you may have something there. It just struck me as strange that the cops knew that they had a policewoman missing in there as well, and talked about it, but didn't mention the fact that they'd found the crashed bike (thus not knowing whether she'd survived or gone over the side).
She was trying to give Rose time to get away. If she had tried to squeeze into the elevator and then remove the thing the men might have grabbed her or proped the door open more or got in the elevator. She probably would have been able to get away fine, but the cop was just making sure by guarding the door while it closed.
Yes, but she fought them before (and to be fair kicked their arses). Then, when the elevator door did shut, she just stood there and let them beat her. Maybe she'd just given up, and realised it was unlikely she'd get out alive. But it seemed odd that she could have put up a fight, and chose not to.

Your answers are appreciated though, they clear up a lot of stuff. Still can't say I enjoyed it though :wink:
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

It's also possible the police found the policewoman's bike and simply chose not to tell the father because they were trying to keep him calm. There's also the fact that they didn't find bodies near either vehicle, suggesting that the passengers had left and probably weren't harmed.
Yes, but she fought them before (and to be fair kicked their arses). Then, when the elevator door did shut, she just stood there and let them beat her. Maybe she'd just given up, and realised it was unlikely she'd get out alive. But it seemed odd that she could have put up a fight, and chose not to.
Yeah, it struck me as odd that she started taking the blows too. Really don't have an explanation other than maybe bad choreography?
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Futagi wrote:Yeah, it struck me as odd that she started taking the blows too. Really don't have an explanation other than maybe bad choreography?
Oh I don't think it was an accident of bad acting. I think it was supposed to show that she had no where left to run to so she was just going to take it. It dosen't make much sense but I think it was done on purpose.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Yes, that's what I had in mind too. We wouldn't expect her to run away and call for help now, would we?

One of my rants in the movie is that Dahlia Gillespie had an innocent character. In the game she was the one who ignited it all, who wanted Alessa to be ritualized, and she looks like a clean, stubborn heretic. Here in the movie, it was opposites.