Chrono Trigger

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Chrono Trigger

Post by Oppenheimer »

I was listening to one of my compilation CDs today and some Chrono Trigger music came on and I'm amazed at how strongly I still feel about that game. It's been a long time since I first played it and I haven't even replayed my PS version for a couple years and yet I still feel powerfully for that game and find myself thinking about it occasionally even without anything to remind me. It's almost like it's my best friend who moved away when I was younger. Even for me, who loves video games, it strikes me as bizarre at what an effect that game had on me and how it still lasts. I also can't put my finger on what it is that made that game so special. For example, I also quite liked FFVII and I had an emotional reaction to it at the time, but now I only look back on it with nostalgic remembrance, nothing like what I feel when I think about Chrono Trigger.

Why I'm creating this topic is that I want to know if I'm alone in this. Is it strange that I "miss" Chrono Trigger, as if it was something more than a video game? Can anyone think of what would make this game so special and why I haven't felt that way about other games (to that extent)? I would imagine some of you feel the same way about Suikoden II from hearing you talk about it.
Iku

Post by Iku »

well when Aeris died i cried but that was cos i was only 7 and i cried at every thing.
But Crono trigger!
That game is Amazing my first play was when i was 10 and we had a japanese copy wow i was confuzzle. But i finally got the english one and yup i love it but to tell the truth i didnt really get attached to it. I only got to the buit where you get to pic kyour time portals so perhaps im not far enough!Hmm i wonder why? Okay ill but it again (my games always break thanx to a combination of my little brother and Stiltzkin (my cat).?
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

Well, the only thing I can think of that would make you so strongly attached to the game is that you've played it through and, being with the characters and seeing their situations, you've found yourself thinking about those characters and their story as if they were in fact real, in some alternate universe, and you were there with them during this time, so to you, Chrono Trigger is a friend, because you've made friends with the characters and what not. I hope that made sense, ~~;;;
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

its because chrono trigger is the greatest gaming experience ever created

after listening to the music and experiencing the breath taking story and seeing the amazing character development...how could any gamer not get emotional when reminded of such a game?
Walrus Man

Post by Walrus Man »

Crono trigger was the first game that I truly obsessed over. I guess I had never had a game that packed so much emotion into its characters. Emotions that expanded out from just the main story line. Such as Frog's hatred toward Magus, Lucas mother, the bond between Luca and Robo and so on. You got powerful human emotions from characters that were not human. And one of the woppers was the way that my feelings changed toward Magus. That villain-type characters have reasons for doing what they do.
Raftrider

Post by Raftrider »

What I loved about the game is that the entire cast seemed to have a great amount of charisma. The story was also a bit refreshing compared to other RPGs I had been used to playing. The musical score and eye candy told me I had a great game.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

I agree Oppenhimer, there are MANY games that make me feel nostolgic and CT is definatly one of them. Especially when I hear their game music. Crystalis, DW1, FF1, CT, and Castlevania II all take me back to my first days of really getting into console gaming. With epic storys and great gameplay and music. It's really sad to see FPS and sports games get more love and attention then our story driven RPGs.
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

son_michael wrote:its because chrono trigger is the greatest gaming experience ever created

after listening to the music and experiencing the breath taking story and seeing the amazing character development...how could any gamer not get emotional when reminded of such a game?
seconded.
Ranarldo

Post by Ranarldo »

Chrono Trigger was the very first game i even owned. To be honest I never even heard of it. This game was my first step into appreciating RPGs. I compare other RPGs to this game. Chrono Trigger has set the standard in my book. I am glad others feel the way i do, for a while i thought i was alone in this whole thing.
"I find my peace in the eye of the storm"
Ranarldo

Post by Ranarldo »

Chrono Trigger was the very first game i even owned. To be honest I never even heard of it. This game was my first step into appreciating RPGs. I compare other RPGs to this game. Chrono Trigger has set the standard in my book. I am glad others feel the way i do, for a while i thought i was alone in this whole thing.
"I find my peace in the eye of the storm"
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

I have played chrono cross and I never finished it. It wsa a great game but i was borrowing it from a friend and had to give it back. I never played chrono cross but so many people talk about how great it is. A game that I do miss is Super Mario RPG. I remember when i was in the 7th grade i would come running home to play that game and i had so much fun playing it. I always hoped they would re-release it for the game boy or something or even make a sequel. The game is truly fun and i do miss it :(
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

pesmerga, you MUST play chrono trigger, make that a goal in your life

I kid you not..it is FANTASTIC

I guarantee you will find no flaw in the game

I mean...how could someone not have played chrono trigger? GO PLAY CHRONO TRIGGER!!!!

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND TRUE!!!!

YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR MISSING OUT ON!!!!
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

son_michael wrote:pesmerga, you MUST play chrono trigger, make that a goal in your life

I kid you not..it is FANTASTIC

I guarantee you will find no flaw in the game

I mean...how could someone not have played chrono trigger? GO PLAY CHRONO TRIGGER!!!!

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND TRUE!!!!

YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR MISSING OUT ON!!!!
lol
wow..... Then it must be fun. I want to play that game really bad, I saw it at gamestop once but i didnt buy it because I didnt have a supernintendo. I did some research and that game is somewhat rare and expensive. Hoepfully if i buy the game i'll be really happy :D
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

you can buy chrono trigger and a final fantasy game on 1 playstation disc, and chrono trigger got some nice naime cutscenes in the playstation version

you should be able to find it online for like 20 to 30 bucks

YOU MUST GET IT

ITS THAT DAMM GOOD

edit: I'm sending you a link to the game via pm, ITS VERY CHEAP!
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

the extras on the psone version were nice, but the load time before every fight still irritates me. i've known a few people (most younger than me) that had never played ct and i turned them onto it. they said it was a great game and all but didnt get my obsession over it. well, i guess that means you just had to be there, back when it WAS the best looking and playing thing out. well honestly, i still think its the best playing RPG ever. but i'm biased.