ffVII Dirge of Cerberus?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
aydas_arrow

ffVII Dirge of Cerberus?

Post by aydas_arrow »

i know this was touched on a small amount in the advent children thread, but that was about music so it didnt feel appropriate to hijack it.

put simply, what is it, i know its a game and Vincent is the lead, and Lurecia appears so is it a prequal?

oh and anynews on a pal release for it or indeed advent children
break that tree and i'll break your legs!

No one harms the forest and gets away with it!!
Fuma

Post by Fuma »

aydas_arrow wrote:put simply, what is it
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus isn't going to be your normal RPG final fantasy game but an action final fantasy game where you control Vincent who must defeat evil invading robots (or cyborgs, whatever). It will have some cameo appearances from Final Fantasy VII such as Cait Sith (and possibly Yuffie).
aydas_arrow wrote:and Lurecia appears so is it a prequal?

I can't confirm the Lucretia talk, but perhaps someone else can. And I can assure you that this game is not a prequel but a sequel, ergo, it is set after the events of Final Fantasy VII.
aydas_arrow wrote:oh and anynews on a pal release for it
Gamespot has the release date for this game as the 1st of June, but don't get too excited that's just for Japan. I do hope to see Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children on PAL shores, which is probably likely if they plan on releasing the Final Fantasy game for the PSP, Crisis Core, in PAL territories.

Here is the official (Japanese) Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus website, but unlike the official Suikoden V website this site is rarely updated.

In screenshots, I've seen Cait Sith, who was a playable character in Final Fantasy VII. I'm pretty certain that this screenshot shows us the robot/cyborg enemies - some of whom look human-like. This picture shows Yuffie, or at least someone who looks like Yuffie. And this final screenshot, which looks like it was taken in the middle of a battle.

If you're interested in this game, then you should read [url=http://ps2.ign.com/articles/617/617474p1.html] this review on IGN with Yoshinori Kitase, the producer of Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of cerberus. Overall, I think that this game will be well worth the wait.
Formerly True Wind Bearer AKA Sir Spam-a-lot.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

I believe that during the tutorial you control Vincent as a Turk, so I'm guessing that you'll see Lucretia there. That's where the "prequel" talk is coming from. The game proper is set after Advent Children, though.
Fuma

Post by Fuma »

Lemmy Claypool wrote:I believe that during the tutorial you control Vincent as a Turk, so I'm guessing that you'll see Lucretia there.
That sounds interesting, hopefully more information on Vincent will be revealed there, as well as throughout the rest of the game itself. In Final Fantasy VII, the story of Vincent and Lucretia always confused me - I first got it the last time I played FFVII...
Formerly True Wind Bearer AKA Sir Spam-a-lot.
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

That character, according to the Katakana at the bottom, is Yuffie (or Yufi, if you take the more literal reading).
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
Chaos_Zero

Post by Chaos_Zero »

Most of the FFVII main cast will be in Dirge of Cerberus, but only Yuffie, Cait Sith, and Reeve will have slightly siginificant roles. Tifa, Barret, and Cid have been revealed, but their roles are minor. Cloud hasn't been revelaed yet, but in many of the trailers, you can see a person riding Fenrir. It's safe to assume that it's Cloud, since it IS his bike. No word on Red XIII yet.

One of the latest trailers shows Vincent talking to Lucrecia while he's wearing his trademark red and black outfit, and not the Turk suit. So it may be possible that Lucrecia will be around outside of flashbacks.
The Miraculous Epidemic, Cruel Salvation, and Merciful Genocide.
Funereal

Post by Funereal »

as much as i like FF7...i think it's overrated beyond comprehension.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

I found it to be a mediocre action game. Vincent moves too slow and the controls are sloppy. His moveset's not that great either, no awesome combo moves. I played about 6 hours total, not far enough to determine if the story is any good.

The US version is supposed to fix controls and his running speed somewhat.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I haven't got the game yet, so I thought I would get some opinions on it.
I liked FFVII alot, but I'm NOT a fanboy. It's not even my favorite FF. I haven't heard many good things about Dirge of Cerberus, and want to know if it's even worth getting.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Reo
Elite Member

Post by Reo »

No, not worth buying at all. Rent it if you care to see some boring information about Lucrecia and short glimpses of the FF7 cast.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Well... fooling around with the tutorial of the game, it seems fun for awhile, but I can easily see how it'd get old quick.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Thanks...I think i'll give it a couple months and then buy a use copy or something
PSN: FreshMetal80
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Reo wrote:No, not worth buying at all. Rent it if you care to see some boring information about Lucrecia and short glimpses of the FF7 cast.
I couldn't agree more. There are tons of really good action, shoot 'em up games out there. If this game weren't tied into Final Fantasy, we never would have heard of it.

It's just my feeling on the game, but Dirge is worse than bad.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Well, from what I've read in most places and in most reviews:

"A wonderful storyline with great background depth to FF7's mysterious character Vincent Valentine, too bad there's this annoying shooting game in between cut scenes."

However, apparently it was a LOT worse in Japan, and we got a more polished and improved version, so... depending on what version the reviewers played, they might not be giving an accurate description of the 'bad' parts of the game.
Morridor

Post by Morridor »

I've played it for about 4 hours and I really don't like it. The storyline is mildly interesting, but the controls aren't that great. They could have made this game a lot better!

Danny
Konami RPG Stars / Suikoden Website!
Click this Link for the Official Suikoden Website for free Suiko Art Books + OSVs, DS Lites, and $250 Gamestop gift cards