Suikoden:The Game of Thrones of JRPG

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
veriaqa

Suikoden:The Game of Thrones of JRPG

Post by veriaqa »

While having a light discussion about video games in general with my friends, one of my Suikofans friend said that Suikoden is unique among JRPGs. It's not about one single hero trying to save the whole world from great evil. It's about politics with some added fantasy element. He then add that Suikoden is the Game of Thrones of JRPGs.

It got me thinking, what a potential Suikogame has looking at how succesful GoT is. If Konami can handle the series and move it in the right direction ala GoT, we could have a very good game series. Not only that, we could have a JRPG that very much different from the other hundreds JRPGs out there. Suikoden series is already different from most JRPG, but not so much to make it stand out. But alas, Konami choose the wrong direction, in my opinion, and what we got is a series that a little different from the most of its kind but still have much similiarities with most of its kind.

So Suikoden failed to stand out and buried under most prettier (in graphics) JRPGs like FF and other Square Enix games. Such a waste of potential.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
Antimatzist

Re: Suikoden:The Game of Thrones of JRPG

Post by Antimatzist »

If you want Suikoden mixed with Persona and Grandia, try the Trails of Cold Steel games. They are basically everything a Suikoden fan loves. The Trails in the Sky games are also great, but less Suikoden_Y (apart from the world building and slightly polticial story).
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Did a quick google search, will try the game some time later. Thanks for the head up.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Both are focused intensely on politics and human drama, rather than a quest to avert some sort of apocalypse or defeat an evil dark overlord (although GOT does have an impending apocalypse thing going on with the white walkers and "Winter is Coming", and S3 had a sorcerer trying to bring about a magical apocalypse, and that game felt the most GOTish of all because of the multiple angle scenarios)

VS other big fantasy franchises such as Lord of the Rings (evil dark lord) and Final Fantasy 7 (big meteor destroying the world) and Zelda (Evil lord taking over the kingdom)

I think what both GOT and Suikoden have in common is that the fantastical elements such as magic and dragons and monsters end up taking a backseat tot he drama because the audience/readers/players become so invested in the characters and their little quirks and relationships and how they all respond to the political situation they find themselves in.

Tierkreis did have some likable characters and interesting exotic cultures, but it was basically about stopping an evil dark lord from taking over, and Suikoden has always done better without that concept.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

This thread is kind of depressing, mostly because the path of Konami followed with Suikoden in the two last settlements was basically the oposite to what you are proposing, both Tierkreis and Toki basically disregarded the "politics" to become generic guy saving the world from a multidimensional being.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Well if they just reboot the original Suikoden with lots of swearing and explicit sex scenes and bloody violence then we might start getting somewhere.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

sticky-runes wrote:Well if they just reboot the original Suikoden with lots of swearing and explicit sex scenes and bloody violence then we might start getting somewhere.
:lol: good one, i snorted my morning coffee through my nose.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

sticky-runes wrote:bloody violence
Wasn't "Die Pig" enough for you? OR when Jowy cuts his wrist to put poisonous blood in the wine?

About your other statement "explicit sex scenes" I rather don't say anything because my dirty thoughts were so dirty that even I blushed :oops: and felt terribly ashamed of myself :twisted:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

We need more. So like, when you go up to Gremio in the kitchen, instead of the options Scare hum, Tickle him, Leave him alone, you get the choices Maim him, F#ck him, Call him a cunt. And the group bathing scenes turn to full blown orgies.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Or simply fire him. Tir had any right to fire him, but still I have my doubts whether Gremio would follow this order or not.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

The True Rune of Life and Death wants to drain our souls.
The True Rune of Punishment wants to turn us to ash.
Why are all the True Runes such vicious cunts?
Where is the True Rune of Tits and Wine?
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Where is the True Rune of Tits and Wine?
You mean the Sun rune? :D

http://i.imgur.com/247HcWa.jpg
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Where is the True Rune of Rum and Cock?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

True Fire/Water/Lightning/Wind/Earth seemed to be more friendly though.