Is this possible (see below)?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Is this possible (see below)?

Post by Sasarai10 »

Is it possible to get all possible dialogues from a certain RPG (it doesn't matter if it's Suikoden or not), if you own the original disc and put it on your computer?

To give you an example, in SIV Deserted Island arc includes many different dialogues (depending on which characters you selected and in which order as well). So since I own the original disc is there any way to see them all?
Antimatzist

Re: Is this possible (see below)?

Post by Antimatzist »

Potentially, yes, but (I am in no way a tech expert but we have many skillful members here which hopefully correct me) as far as I know, extracting this stuff from PS2 games is a lot harder than in, e.g., PSX games. For Suikoden and Suikoden II, it's actually "easy" (if you know what you're doing) and a lot of the guides on suikosource were extracted from the game itself.

For the other SUikodens.. not so easy. Or so I've heard.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Antimatzist wrote:Potentially, yes, but (I am in no way a tech expert but we have many skillful members here which hopefully correct me) as far as I know, extracting this stuff from PS2 games is a lot harder than in, e.g., PSX games. For Suikoden and Suikoden II, it's actually "easy" (if you know what you're doing) and a lot of the guides on suikosource were extracted from the game itself.

For the other SUikodens.. not so easy. Or so I've heard.
Actually Suikoden I wasn't easy at all, I used to work with a group that wanted to translate SI to spanish. Suikoden I text were "easy to rip" but really hard to find, there wasn't a file with all the text they were spread all over the place, so the translation never progressed much because you had some lines but there were other lines that you didn't have then you have some lines from the final scene then some shop texts but not other shop text. Was a pain in the ass, never gone over 20%

SII was released translated in europe so I don't know how hard it is.

Ps2 SIII is also worth mention, it was so hard to open the text that not even Konami could open them, thats why the game never came to europe translated, it had to have at the very lest French and German, but the translation cost would be so high they just decided not to do it.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Well, I work ina group which translates SUikoden to German and we actually finished the translation (there's also a French and an Italian one already), so it's possible if you know what you're doing. But as I said, I'm not the tech expert.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Neclord X wrote:Ps2 SIII is also worth mention, it was so hard to open the text that not even Konami could open them, thats why the game never came to europe translated, it had to have at the very lest French and German, but the translation cost would be so high they just decided not to do it.
Uh, yeah, just FYI Suikoden III is not hard to open the text at all since a lot of it isn't even encoded. If anything Suikoden III is the easiest game in the series to datamine so that had nothing to do with Konami's decision to not release it in Europe, so let's not spread any false rumors here.

Konami simply decided not to localize the game for many reasons, but Konami not knowing how to open the text is just blatantly false and the idea that Konami couldn't do it is frankly ridiculous.

It's just a simple fact that like everything else in life you have to actually know what you're doing before it gets easy.

As for the original question, yes, theoretically you could do that, but how difficult it is varies from game to game. Some games like Suikoden 1, 2, and 3 are relatively easy and just need you to figure out the hex table and you can view the plain text in any hex editor though it will be without context. Games like Suikoden IV are more complex because you can't access the files directly as they're compressed so you'll have to break that first. Other games may even be encrypted so you'd have to crack that as well before you could view the files.

Again, easy if you know what you're doing, difficult if you don't.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.