Kojima exits Konami

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Antimatzist

Re: Kojima exits Konami

Post by Antimatzist »

That more or less had to happen because Tri-Ace was bought out by a Korean mobile gaming company.
A Japanese company, and why would a parent company focussed on mobile gaming stop their child company doing mobile gaming? I'd rather say, in retrospective, that tri-ace had to gather all ressources for the upcoming Star Ocean game.
Look, in a certain sense you are right: the "cold" equations look pretty awful right now, depending on how much of these rumors we buy into. However, in the last three years, have the cold equations even ever once been in our favor? I don't think they have, and yet look at what we have done.
But what we dealt with so far was easy money. I don't know about the costs of putting your games on PSN, but at least Suikoden II is such an obvious cash grab, I can't understand why Konami didn't act earlier. Maybe they really forgot about the series. But now, with Konami's restructuring, I simply cannot see a future of Suikoden. There are many possibilities how I can be proven wrong, and I'd love to be wrong, but at the moment, I can't see it.
V-Serp

Post by V-Serp »

Well the popular rumor is that Konami is leaving video games altogether, definitely consoles. There are claims that they'll do mobile and maybe PC, but who knows.

There's a shift in the gaming industry overall. Most of the innovation seems to be in kickstarter and indie projects, the large companies mostly seem inefficient and don't put out much, with the exception of EA I suppose (and most people say they don't like them).

It's kind of stunning to me how Konami has fallen. 10 years ago you could argue they were the best game company on the planet, with the higher quality games and the hottest IPs. But then things kind of fell apart quickly.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I was very late getting an iphone and I'm just starting to get to grips with the technology now, so i probably wouldn't mind playing an RPG on my phone, but Suikoden 4 gave me a taste of what Suikoden could look like as a big screen adventure, and it sucks that I'll probably never get to have any more experiences like that.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

V-Serp wrote: Most of the innovation seems to be in kickstarter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuoToHKCas4
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

So in a recent Nikkei article a lot has been revealed about what allegedly is going on at Konami with Kojima and general working conditions, but also a note about Suikoden, along with Tokimeki Memorial. Development has halted.

Now, this doesn't mean that a game was in production and then canceled, but rather that they're not doing anything with it and aren't planning to. So if anyone was hoping for something at TGS that is unlikely to occur, nor does it appear that anything will happen to the 20th anniversary of the series.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1089102
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

While of course the SUikoden news is the most disappointing for us (but also not very surprising), the working conditions sound horrible, even by Japanese standards (of which I don't know that much but heard that they are worse compared to Western standards). I mean this is humiliating.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it's one thing when a company decides to pull the plug because of a risky investment... but it's another when they completely mistreat their employees. Shame on Konami. when you treat your workers like sh*t, that's the quality of work you should expect back from them.

i see a lot of criticism about MGS V development costing so much-- $80+ mil. well they were creating an engine that theoretically can be used to cheaply produce plenty of other games (think of those FPS engines, but this one would handle way more)... Konami obviously knew what they were invested in.

btw great pic in that discussion forum... Image
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I guess the cat I sitting on Suikoden?