French Film Adaptation of Water Margin

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Roshambeaux

French Film Adaptation of Water Margin

Post by Roshambeaux »

There's a French film adaptation of Water Margin being released in the 21st of January and I've heard that the director took some liberties in creating it, so purist will probably be disappointed with the movie. If any of you live in France and understand the language, please give us a review of it. Here's the link to the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cVfHlx ... e=youtu.be
A raw tomato for the win!
sticky-runes

Re: French Film Adaptation of Water Margin

Post by sticky-runes »

looks pretty awesome to me. How To Train Your Dragon without the dragons meets Kung Fu Panda with humans.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

You will be bitterly disappointed.

Honestly, the voices suck. This is one of the worst voice acting I ever heard in French language!

And they did not take liberties with the story, they slaughtered it. Our beloved 108 heroes are the villains of the story. For some reason, a few of the 108 stars are the good ones and have been asked to protect the Crown Prince. That's... the opposite of the novel.

Some of the jokes in the trailer are really lame and rely on stupid anachronism. In the beginning, the guy is supposed to have painted an anti-monarchy slogan, which is something that really happens in the novel. But here, the slogan is a real-life well-known political slogan in France, which makes it sound completely out of place. The way they convey the joke with a big wink wink nudge nudge is pathetic.

I just found the review from Premiere, which is the leading magazine about cinema in France, and they panned it. Apparently the animation is substandard. They say the ambition was too big for what the production could afford to do. Apparently, sometimes, you can spot a real actor amongst the CGI characters... Apparently they first intended in 2012 to make the movie in normal, 2D animation, and then decided mid-way through production to turn it into a CGI thing - such changes during production are the sure way to screw up a movie.

I know a bit about production of movies in the Francosphere. It doesn't smell very good when I look at the movie credits. It was made by a collection of very small producers. It does not have a TV broadcaster behind them, which is practically the sacred rule in Francophone filmmaking. The movie is out Wednesday, which is the day for new movies in France and Belgium, but apparently there are only a very few cinemas playing it.

I suspect that you will soon forget about it, and that's all the director will hope for.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Oh well, I don't understand French so I can't tell if the voice acting is bad or not.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i would love to see this movie because i'm too lazy to buy the books and read through hundreds of pages, especially knowing there are so many characters to learn about. i downloaded some really old chinese drama but they are really really bad and i gave up after a few episodes!