Just watched the new Hercules (Dwayne Johnson) movie

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Just watched the new Hercules (Dwayne Johnson) movie

Post by sticky-runes »

I'm a little underwhelmed, to be honest. The action scenes were impressive, but it's nothing we haven't seen before in recent movies. I thought it had an interesting concept to it, but I wasn't exactly blown away. Anyone else seen it?
bluemask

Re: Just watched the new Hercules (Dwayne Johnson) movie

Post by bluemask »

I haven't seen it yet but now it sounds disappointing based from your words :lol: (I'm still planning to see it though). I remember the same thing with Immortals, overly-hyped but wasn't really "that" impressive. I just hope it's alot better than the previous Hercules one.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

You might like it more than I did, I was expecting something else.

I haven't seen the Kellen Lutz version of Hercules and don't intend to. It doesn't look like a Hercules movie at all.

The Dwayne Johnson Hercules at least looked like a Hercules movie, which is why I wanted to watch it in the first place. Better than the Immortals and those Wrath of the Titans movies (Nothing beats the original Clash movie from the 80s, though).

It's certainly not the worst mythology based movie I've seen, it just wasn't quite what I was hoping for.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

In Wrath of the Titans, Hades was bearing the Rune of Punishment (atonement and forgiveness)
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I haven't seen it, but I've heard that it's the old bait n' switch. POSSIBLE SPOILERS They show Hercules battling all of mythical beasts in the trailers, but those scenes are only in a montage at the beginning of the movie in the form of an exaggerated story of his exploits, and that he's just a regular guy as opposed to a demigod. If true, that's extremely disappointing.
PSN: FreshMetal80
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

****SPOILERS****
freshmetal wrote:I haven't seen it, but I've heard that it's the old bait n' switch. POSSIBLE SPOILERS They show Hercules battling all of mythical beasts in the trailers, but those scenes are only in a montage at the beginning of the movie in the form of an exaggerated story of his exploits, and that he's just a regular guy as opposed to a demigod. If true, that's extremely disappointing.
That is pretty much what happens. We see him fighting the monsters as flashbacks/montages at the beginning, then it snaps to the guy telling the story, and the characters are discussing whether that really happened or not. It was a complete slap in the face. Let's reel in members of the audience by promising them scenes of Herc fighting monsters, then make it out that they didn't actually exist.

There's this whole smoke-and-mirrors thing going on with the creatures. The "centaurs" turn out to be just men riding on horses in the mist, and the vision of Cerberus turns out to be three wolves chained together.

Also, Hercules turns out to be kind of a wuss who lets his friends do a lot of the fighting for him. During one of the battle scenes, we see all the other heroes kicking ass, and I was like "um... where's Hercules? What's he doing during all this?" and then we see him hitting someone with his club, and I was like "Ah, there you are." :roll:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Wolkendrache wrote:In Wrath of the Titans, Hades was bearing the Rune of Punishment (atonement and forgiveness)
*SPOILERS*

In Hercules, there's a character who dies almost the exact same death as Roy in Suikoden 5.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Oh well, how entertaining can a guy be that goes by the stagename "The Rock".
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

The Rock gave the best performance in the movie. John Hurt was boring as ever (he's no Max Von Sydow when it comes to playing ancient kings) Rufus Sewell was totally miscast as Autolycus and Joseph Fiennes was embarrassing to watch for the 4 minutes he was on screen. the girl who played Atalanta was all right, but everyone else was bland or annoying.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Fair point. I still remember his cringeworthy early acting. The Scorpion King, The Rundown (or Welcome to the jungle, depending on the region) and that godawful Walking Tall.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

At least those movies were one-man action hero movies, which is what I was hoping for from Hercules, but it was more of a Hercules and Friends type film. I think maybe it would have worked better if they added a big star playing Jason and called it an Argonauts movie instead.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Was it atleast better than that drivel with Kevin Sorbo?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Hey, don't knock the Kevin Sorbo series! At least the characters had appeal in that TV show, and the gods and monsters actually existed.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

I saw it the other day, and it was better tan expected (that or the last Hércules movie they did was SO awful anything looks god tier now XD). It's not a great movie, but is fairly entertaining as an adventures movie. Nothing really great but is fun, to expend an afternoon is OK.

About the plot, I got exactly what I expected from the trailers, although, I live in spain the trailers may differ whith the one you saw, in my case I never expected a 100% fantasy movie, I expected exactly what I got a more "humanized" versión of hercules, more soldier than hero that's what the tráiler (the spanish one at least) transmited to me. In fact SOPILAHS the moment the movie starts showing the beasts I inmediately thought "this is someone telling a fake story"

EDIT: Ok, I understand what did you mean, guys. A couple of days ago I go see a movie and for the first time I watched the theatrical tráiler of Hércules (until now I only have seen the TV trailers) the theatrical tráiler is completly different, the barbarians have bright eyes, the whip is made of fire, etc I can understand now how it misslead some people.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I just watched Pompeii on DVD. That was another let down. I can understand them turning it into a gladiator movie mixed with a disaster movie, but the eruption scenes were tedious and unconvincing, and the fight scenes should have been bloody. The docudrama that the BBC made was much better.