Lorelai, Lorelai...

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
BrucePrintscreen

Lorelai, Lorelai...

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Okay I have no ideas where to put that topic, so I'll just put it here :mrgreen:

Anytime I hear about our dearest Suikoden character Lorelai, I can't help but thinking of a French song of the same name.

The song is the work of singer/songwriter Hubert-Felix Thiefaine, who has a small following for his nonsensical lyrics and eclectic musics. I don't know much of his career actually, but Lorelai being one of his most popular songs it wasn't unusual to hear it on the radio when I lived in Francophone countries.

Here is the song, he repeats Lorelai in the chorus:.

Here is a quick translation of the lyrics. Ironically, he describes a sexual episode with the eponymous Lorelai, but in such a nonsensical poetic way that he never uses any explicit word. COme to think of it, they're very nice lyrics actually.

My blues lost its point on your bestial body, in this bedroom where nights never lasts for more than fifteen minutes.
Just after we pass the toll and score an extra-ball, we put the counters back to zero
Your blues lost its point on my jackall body, in this lonely hotel whose walls are frozen with boredom.
And while our bed crosses path with a cargo plane, you tell me to keep my money because today's for free.

(chorus)
Lorelei, Lorelei
Don't let go of me, my train is losing tracks
Lorelei, Lorelei
I feel like a guinea pig who snorted all his straws

You tear my armour away in a slightly heavy gesture, telling me "come back, I know you well now, you remind me of my lovers in this dead-end street in Hamburg, when I was known as The orphan with will-o-the-wisp in her eyes, you remind me of my lovers lost in the storm, with their marooned heart at the end of night bars".
And you tell me "come back, I am your holiday, come back and climax, my love, in the slow death of my mouth".

(chorus)
Lorelei, Lorelei
Lorelei, Lorelei

The blues has detached our cannibal hearts, in this sad drama in which every Shakespeare dies.
The red of our meats on the sidereal darkness, the red of our desires on the reverse of our leathers.
And I tell you "come back, now it's my turn to offer you the trip to Galapagos islands", and I tell you "come back, we go away my love, to put back some sun on our albatros wings".
(chorus)
Lorelei, Lorelei
Lorelei, Lorelei
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Lorelai, Lorelai...

Post by Sasarai10 »

off-topic but i had a crush on her when i was 13 :oops:

although still i'd not mind if a woman who resembles Lorelai exists :mrgreen:
BrucePrintscreen

I don't know if anyone ever noticed this, but in Suikoden I, gameplay-wise, Lorelai is just a replacement for Odessa. Their sprites are practically the same with a different colour:

And then compare their stats:

Lorelai:
Weapon LVL 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Weapon Strength 5 7 10 14 18 35 42 48 54 63 70 81 105 117 132 155
Weapon Name Short Bow Silver Bow Magic Bow

Odessa:
Weapon Name Steel Bow Copper Bow Gold Bow

Exactly the same.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Lorelei was a water nymph, like a siren.

There's also a Lorelei in the Marvel universe, and appeared in an episode of Agents of Shield recently.
ImageImage

You can't beat Suikoden 5 Lorelai, though. Whip 'em into shape, Bitch.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:I don't know if anyone ever noticed this, but in Suikoden I, gameplay-wise, Lorelai is just a replacement for Odessa. Their sprites are practically the same with a different colour:

And then compare their stats:

Lorelai:
Weapon Name Short Bow Silver Bow Magic Bow

Odessa:
Weapon Name Steel Bow Copper Bow Gold Bow

Exactly the same.

I've noticed that too....but how can you get the names "Copper Bow" and "Gold Bow" since Odessa leaves permantly from your party before you can upgrade your weapons over level 5 or so???

Anyway i wonder about 2 things...

1) Why Loreai has 3 different types of weapon? In S1 she has a bow,in S2 she has a scythe (from Kirke) and in S5 she has a whip. The only thing we know is that in S2 Kirke handed over his scythe to Lorelai....but why she gave up her whip and had a bow in S1?? There must be a point. Most returning characters carry similar weapons from previous games or weapons that are related with characters who are close to. Like Futch carrying Humphrey's weapon in S3. But in her case her weapons don't have any connection with each other.

2) When she started wearing a cape? it must've been somewhere between S5 and S1 events
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Where (in the games) does it actually state that she got the scythe from Kirke? Their weapons have a totally different design. Kirke's was more like an axe (it would be kinda difficult to lop off heads with the weapon Lorelai uses in S2)
Image Image :shock:

I reckon the whip in S5 is an homage to Indiana Jones. He was a treasure hunter of sorts, spending a lot of time exploring ancient ruins and gathering information on artifacts. And I don't think a whip and cape go very well together, better to wear a tight fitting outfit so it doesn't get tangled. speaking from experience, of course. :wink:
BrucePrintscreen

As a female answer to Indiana Jones, I think Lorelai beats Lara Croft easily :D
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Well for a start, Lorelai had a better looking mentor, in the form of the sexy and incredibly classy Zweig.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

:lol: Killey on the top watching them :P

i really can't believe that Zweig was 40 during S5...he could easyly pass younger by a full decade

Kirke's and Lorelai's weapon in S2 had same names didn't they?

edit: look here...it actually mentions he passed his weapon to Lorelai:

http://suikosource.com/chars/list/?char_id=484
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai10 wrote:

yes, but that's not in-game information is it. I'm talking official evidence.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

sticky-runes wrote:
Sasarai10 wrote:

yes, but that's not in-game information is it. I'm talking official evidence.
Maybe she got bored of it and thought that a halberd would make her look more badass.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Skyrim fans could RP their own Lorelai. Create a female Nord with black hair who specializes in archery and/or two handed weapons (preferably battle axes) and focus on all the Dwemer related quests. If you do the civil war quest line, it would probably be more fitting to join the rebellion instead of the Empire. And find a nice sapphire circlet to wear. :P
BrucePrintscreen

Oh to get back on the original topic, here is a song that always makes me think of Rina:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRspvAucho4
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

It looks like Kahn's efforts were in vain as Neclord has found a new life as a writer. Apparently, Neclord really likes Lorelai -- he has a twitter account with picture of her and that red clad dude who is despised by a few people on this site. https://twitter.com/JudgementScythe I do really like that drawing of Lorelai in the Photos & Pics section.
A raw tomato for the win!
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

^Interesting.

But honestly i'd never imagine Neclord chasing Lorelai. I don't think she matches his taste.