How many gamers know the existance of Suikoden?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

How many gamers know the existance of Suikoden?

Post by Sasarai10 »

What fellow gamers say,when you are refering to Suikoden? From my experience,most of them ignore the existance of the game,but those who have played it,they say "oh what a great game" :)
Neclord X

Re: How many gamers know the existance of Suikoden?

Post by Neclord X »

From my experience Suikoden is one of those titles everyone recognizes but rarely someone has actually played it. When you say "Suikoden" the usual answer is "Yes, I've hear that name but don't know the game itself" at most people remember it is an rpg but nothing else
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Back on my school days, everyone that has a PlayStation plays suikoden 2, most of them don't like suikoden 1 though
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Very few people I know. But I was able to get 2-3 people to play Suikoden this year.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Amazing that this site is still up and running ...

As for a fixed number of people, I have no idea but the game isn't as obscure as one might think.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Most people think I'm talking about sudoku.
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

I have only known of it's existance for about 2 months or so but I see it pop up from time to time.

-I play a game called Arcane empires on my phone and someone has the name Suikoden as their main char.

-I was randomly watching a youtube clip of 10 things a guy hates in video games and one of them was "The silent protagonist" and suikoden was one of the examples he gave

-My favorite example by far is last weekend I started playing Final fantasy 14 a Realm reborn and in that game you need a first and last name. Randomly questing and I see "Miakis Lyon" run past me. I had a 10 minute conversation with her/him about the games. Got a guild invite and a new friend from it.

Since I started playing the games, it makes me smile a bit when I see someone else mention it, kinda like an easter egg for me or an inside joke.
Zhuge Liang

Post by Zhuge Liang »

Quite a lot. Suikoden series are quite popular in original Playstation era. But it lost of competitions when it entered the PS2 years.

Suikoden series could have been bigger if Konami really gave it a damn. It was one of the RPG with best concepts (an RPG where you are recruiting people and building an army of your own). I remember involved in debate against FF7 fans about which is better between the two. In the end, you need creativity, good technology and continuity. And in the later episodes, Suikoden series lacked of them. S3 and S4 are let downs. They got it right with S5, but then again, no follow up afterward and people forget about it pretty quick due to the launching of other games. Many friends of mine are expecting S6, but it never came. So..we just forget about it.

I don't know how well Genso Suikoden series doing in Japan, but in my opinion, Konami surely underestimated the potentiality of growing this series internationally. They could have translated the Gaidens, but they didn't do it. And the interval between one episode to another was too long.
Zhuge Liang
Prime Minister of Shu-Han
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

They could have translated the Gaidens, but they didn't do it.
That's understandable, at that time, the concept of the text-adventures was quite obscure to western audiences.

But nowadays, people are more accustomed to it, especially on handhelds. I doubt they'd ever rerelease the Gaidens for Vita or 3DS, but if they ever plan on bringing back the series (or re-releasing the older titles), they should definitely ask for the fantranslation.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

as i've mentioned quite a few times,they should make a remake of S2 with Jowy as the main protagonist this time. I guess many suikoden fans would like to see this,so why don't they do it?

Many of us wonder what exactly happened to Jowy during his capture in Muse-Highland border,and how he became a general in the Highland army so quickly. :)
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Well many of us also wants to see Suikoden VI happen and we don't see that happening either. It's all business.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Actually i'd prefer to see a S2 remake,with Jowy instead of a S6....but it seems that we won't see both :(
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

I'd prefer a SVI instead, using the Succession War as the main plot. Why? So we can see Barbarossa, Teo, Pahn during those days. I think it's an interesting storyline and if we look at all the events, it's the most fleshed out. Gremio saving Tir after he was kidnapped, Pahn defecting to Teo, etc.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Piisuke wrote:I'd prefer a SVI instead, using the Succession War as the main plot. Why? So we can see Barbarossa, Teo, Pahn during those days. I think it's an interesting storyline and if we look at all the events, it's the most fleshed out. Gremio saving Tir after he was kidnapped, Pahn defecting to Teo, etc.

Well i guess that's a matter of taste...the plot of S2 touched me much more than the one from S1 :) So i'd like to see S2 from Jowy's point of view. :wink:
dragons_descent4

Post by dragons_descent4 »

Whenever I bring up Suikoden most people don't seem to know what it is,I've only had one encounter with someone who knew it and he beat me to the conversation. I have the soul eater tattooed on my ankle and he saw it and asked if I knew what it was. It was pretty funny,we're still great friends and he's actually playing the second game for the first time now. Since it's so hard to get he never had access to it until now.

Other than that my one room mate keeps calling it "Soodoken" he tries and its adorable but that extra "D" drives me nuts haha
"Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
"Too bad I have to fight with you."
- Viktor and Flik

Into dark humor? Check out my upcoming webseries!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Morb ... 1697490455