Game Design and stuff!

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
TMan

Game Design and stuff!

Post by TMan »

Sasarai has asked me a couple of questions about game design and everything and I thought I'd move it here so that anyone who's interested can see what we're talking about.

So, picking up where we left. As far as easy programs to use, RPG Maker is going to be your best bet if you are unable or unwilling to learn programming and modeling. I'm not sure what you mean about it saying the screen is too small, but could it be your resolution? If it's actual physical size, buy another monitor and attach it to your laptop?

Having ideas and stories is nice, but no team is going to follow you into the cavernous, dark, and life-eating world of game design unless you can share the load with them on all fronts. I don't know much about programming, but my programmer is willing to work with me because I've learned just enough to be able to address concerns.

RPG Maker is a good place to work on a game as a hobby, but if you don't learn the programming language it uses (I don't remember the name) you'll be fairly restricted to what it uses. I once made a 6-7 hour game on RPG Maker and while it was pretty and I was fairly proud of the story, it couldn't offer interested players anything new or unique because it worked only within the confines of the features that the program allows. Sure I tweaked the script in a couple of places, but it wasn't enough to draw attention.

Basically, if you're going to try and make a game, be prepared for no one to care. If you're going to try and make a game in RPG Maker, you should probably just expect most people not to care.

I hope this doesn't sound discouraging. The truth is that game development takes tons and tons of work. You have to be passionate and dedicated as heck to go through with it.

Still, try, because trying is fun! I've had lots of projects fail. It's discouraging, but working on them still brings back great memories.
Dreams do die
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Game Design and stuff!

Post by Sasarai10 »

Actually i was inspired by the guy who created Exit Fate. I was surprised to see that only a single guy created such a nice game,that could be as good as other Suikodens. Although i know it won't draw the attention of most RPG gamers...but i want something like Suikoden,since we don't have any new Suikoden on the line or at least a remake (especially a S2 remake with Jowy as the main hero,is my dream).

Yes my resolution is small,it's a net-book after all. I'll try to connect it to my TV,once i buy a cavle,and see what it happens.,,but first i want to deal with the scenario. :|
TMan

Post by TMan »

What do you mean the scenario?
Dreams do die
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

TMan wrote:What do you mean the scenario?

The story. How it would be,how a war would take place,etc
TMan

Post by TMan »

Right. Just remember an RPG has got to be LONG as heck. Outline first, then script. Or wing it, whatever, it's all for fun!

Anyway, I started playing around with RPG Maker XP again recently. Had a pretty good time but its hard as heck to format stuff for tilesets and sprite sheets.
Dreams do die