2011 Libyan Civil War and the Gate Rune Wars

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
ninjaluc79

2011 Libyan Civil War and the Gate Rune Wars

Post by ninjaluc79 »

For some reason, the ongoing Libyan Civil War strongly reminds me of the Gate Rune Wars, except that the Libyan resistance didn't have a Tir McDohl-figure person with them.

For starters, Muammar Gaddafi overthrew the old Libyan Kingdom in his youth, pretty much the same thing Barbarossa Rugner had to go through during the Succession Wars.

Then under Gaddafi, the Libyan citizens have grown discontented of their government, with poverty and bureaucratic corruption abound, similar to what happened to the Scarlet Moon Empire under Barbarossa.

AFAIK, the Libyan Civil War was somehow inspired by the Egyptian Revolution, so it's not possible that the Liberation Army was inspired by a certain revolution before theirs. The nearest I can think of was the Grasslands under the leadership of the Flame Champion fighting Harmonia, around 30 years before the events of the Gate Rune Wars. But I do remember some revolution involving Highland before Suikoden 1, I don't know what exactly.

The great war between Dunan and Highland involving Genkaku and Han? It was a lost cause for Dunan.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Vextor
Global Admin

Re: 2011 Libyan Civil War and the Gate Rune Wars

Post by Vextor »

Oh yes, and Gaddafi even had some mysterious blonde Ukranian nurse that was always with him wherever he goes, sort of like Windy.
It's also interesting how the military leader within the resistance was killed by a spy, and how many of Qaddafi's generals defected one by one to the rebel's side.

The difference though is that even the guy who would be Qaddafi's "Ain Gide" defected in the end, letting the rebels into Tripoli fairly easily.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

ninjaluc79 wrote:AFAIK, the Libyan Civil War was somehow inspired by the Egyptian Revolution, so it's not possible that the Liberation Army was inspired by a certain revolution before theirs. The nearest I can think of was the Grasslands under the leadership of the Flame Champion fighting Harmonia, around 30 years before the events of the Gate Rune Wars. But I do remember some revolution involving Highland before Suikoden 1, I don't know what exactly. .
You're forgetting the power struggle in Falena, which happens within a decade before the one in Toran.
Formerly known as: Gothann
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Oh yes, THAT Falenan Civil War. So the Egyptian Revolution is something like the RL Falenan Civil War, huh?

One major difference between Libya and Toran AFAIK, is that Libya didn't have a Tir McDohl for a military leader, but still. There are just some similarities between the wars of these countries.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Vextor wrote:The difference though is that even the guy who would be Qaddafi's "Ain Gide" defected in the end, letting the rebels into Tripoli fairly easily.
One other important difference is that Gaddafi didn't turn into a Golden Hydra.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Vextor wrote:The difference though is that even the guy who would be Qaddafi's "Ain Gide" defected in the end, letting the rebels into Tripoli fairly easily.
One other important difference is that Gaddafi didn't turn into a Golden Hydra.
Yep.

I'm not saying the Libyan Civil War is EXACTLY like the Gate Rune Wars. I'm just saying that there are similarities. Of course there would be differences because Libya happens IRL, and one would wonder what will happen if the incidents in the Gate Rune Wars happened IRL.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Well, both are revolutions, and I suppose all revolutions follow similar rules and happen in a similar way? Most of them, at least.

Did Lybia have a Sanchez-traitor? Also, was there already an anti-government movement which started small and in the underground and then got into the public? Afaik, the Libyan Civil War started with peaceful demonstrations...
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Si vis pacem, para bellum.