College

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Iesous

Re: College

Post by Iesous »

I have a BA in religion, specifically biblical languages, from Oklahoma Baptist University. I am currently about 3/4 through with a Master's in theology in Dallas, TX. After this, I'll get a PhD somewhere. It's a long road.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Oh, cool. I've always found Koinea Greek and the Latin variations used in poetry and Sacred music to be very interesting and beautiful languages. Greek and Latin of course being very Rhyme-Rich languages were used as the main forms of poetic expression even as late as the medieval age, well past when the Latin and Germanic languages had taken hold.

One question, Iesous. Is it true that originally the book of Job was written in Hebrew line-alliteratively? Meaning that each line coupling began with the same character or sound? I've heard that this is true, but have not been able to confirm it. If it is true, then that means the book of Job just might be the oldest work of poetry surviving to this day.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

It looks like I'm just a handful of credits away from my degree. I'll be allowed to walk in the graduation ceremony in a couple of weeks but I won't receive my actual Bachelor's until November.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

I got B.A. in History, minors in political science and international studies from PSU. Also, a Masters from Liberty U.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I started college late but in a couple of years I should have my BA in English writing
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

Lucky, lucky. Most of you have BA's in English...I wanted to be a Literature or English major, but sadly, things didn't go as planned...So...

I am currently on my last year of college, taking up AB Mass Communication...it's an okay course....I would still have wanted to study Literature tho.
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
TenkaiStar108

Post by TenkaiStar108 »

I'm on my way to getting my BA in Health Science ^^ Right now, my major is dental hygiene.
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

Just received my B.A. in International Business this month from St. Mary's College of Maryland.
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

I'm right smack in the middle of working on my BDes (Bachelor of Design) in Illustration and a minor in the Art faculty. Kinda harsh at the moment but hopefully, they will let me progress further. /crosses fingers
Oh, and I go to OCAD. Where magic and weirdness and rainbows spring like daisies.
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
dragons_descent4

Post by dragons_descent4 »

I am working on my BA at Academy of Art University in Motion Pictures and Television with a focus in performance and screenwriting.
"Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
"Too bad I have to fight with you."
- Viktor and Flik

Into dark humor? Check out my upcoming webseries!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Morb ... 1697490455
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Night Shadow wrote:Lucky, lucky. Most of you have BA's in English...I wanted to be a Literature or English major, but sadly, things didn't go as planned...So...

I am currently on my last year of college, taking up AB Mass Communication...it's an okay course....I would still have wanted to study Literature tho.
Well, English in America is tough as a major, it usually means that you'll end up working as a Starbucks Barista for your professional life. But, if you live in the Philipines, then that could be really cool. Your English is good and English teachers are in high demand there. As for me, I might be forced to move to Asia to find work teaching High School or University English if I do not want to starve to death lol.
caspiancomic

Post by caspiancomic »

A couple of years ago I earned a BA in Art History from the prestigiousish Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, and have been mired in unemployed poverty ever since. Okay, that's not totally accurate, I'm hardly impoverished (living at home due to being a loser, but my parents have nice digs so I'm not complaining), and at least part of the reason I'm unemployed is because for the last year I've been hideously sick, but still, there aren't exactly employers desperately crying out for dudes who know a lot about 16th Century Italian painting. In fact, I'm probably going to go back to school as soon as I'm on the mend, probably to do something practical. Illustration, I'm thinking, or some other arty skill. Still, getting the degree was well worth the experience.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

I hear you there. There is not much call for someone who can translate Chaucer. I was working in Film Distribution, but that whole industry is like the so-cal high-school from hell, so I got out. And my roommate actually has his degree in Film, and is wonderfully talented, but he works a job he hates at an insurance company.

Nah, living with your parents isn't "loser." Heck, I know people that live with their parents to help their parents with the bills. It is just the way the economy is right now unfortunately.

I am thinking of Becoming a Martial Arts instructor to pay the bills, then maybe write or translate on the side.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

Rooks wrote:I hear you there. There is not much call for someone who can translate Chaucer..
Fun fact: One of my professors is the co-editor of The Chaucer Review: A Journal of Medieval Studies and Literary Criticism, has written 3 other books on Chaucer, and had a book come out just this past year on Chaucer, entitled Chaucer: Contemporary Approaches.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Haha cool! Do you know that one of the Montey Python members recently co-wrote a book asserting that Chaucer was murdered because of his criticism of French / English culture and the Catholic Church? Chaucer is a pretty important guy and he is regaining a bit of popularity.

Well, if I were half as good as your Profs, I could find a job teaching him lol. But unfortunately I am not there yet.