College

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Xelinis

College

Post by Xelinis »

For those of us who currently attend or have already graduated from a place of higher education, what's you're alma mater?

I'm on the verge of earning my Bachelors in Computer Science from RIT, up in Rochester, NY.
Jowy Atreides

Re: College

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I'm a little over a year away from receiving my BA in political science from Texas A&M University in College Station, TX. Right now I'm taking some of my last few classes at a community college near my hometown of Garland, TX.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Hoorah for college people. Right now I am working on my undergrad thesis for B.F.A. English Literature and Creative Writing, with a dual emphasis. I'm looking into graduate programs as well, and am considering going to Ireland to get my M.A. in Irish Gaelic. Currently, I am at Marylhurst University, a small, private college just south of Portland, Oregon.
Crowley Reborn

Post by Crowley Reborn »

For me, I've almost got my Bachelor's in Science in Physics from University of California, Santa Barbara. I have no idea what I'm doing after this but... I actually want to be a writer. Or work for Bungie. And I realized just recently that CompSci would have been a much better major for me, as far as interest goes. A little late though...
Check out The Old Kingdom Ardänia series, starting with the first book, Vermillion Skies
http://www.facebook.com/prbison
http://www.facebook.com/vermillionskies1
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I'm one semester away from completing my BA in English with a Professional Writing minor at Eastern Illinois University. If it wasn't for my minor I'd be graduating this May. I have everything I need for my major with the completion of this current semester. However, since I'm not doing teacher's cert, my minor is pretty useful.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Anyone willing to explain what majors, minors and the other parts mean? I'm from Sweden and all those parts sound like Greek to me.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

At least in the USA, you need to choose a major field of study to focus on if you want to graduate from college. You can also choose a minor field of study (you can even choose more than one). In fact, you can major in more than one field. It's typically fairly easy to double-major in computer science and mathematics, or physics and mathematics because a lot of the courses fulfill the same requirements.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Occasionally, schools will ask that your chosen minor be fairly removed from your major. In my case, I was required to choose a Liberal Arts minor to complement my degree in Computer Science, which propelled me to adopt Literary & Cultural Studies as mine.

I'm glad that was the case, else I never would have discovered Borges.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I don't know why anyone who break their back having more than one major. Maybe it's just the types of jobs I've applied for but no one seems to care what you majored in, just that you have a university education.

On that note I have a BA in English. As much as the common consensus seems to be that this means you can be a teacher and that's about it, I have been able to get pretty much any mid-level job in the business sector.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Hirathien wrote:Anyone willing to explain what majors, minors and the other parts mean? I'm from Sweden and all those parts sound like Greek to me.
A Bachelor's degree or B.A is the same as a fil.kand, Filosofie kanditat. Master's degree or MA is a Filosofie magister.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Oppenheimer wrote:I don't know why anyone who break their back having more than one major. Maybe it's just the types of jobs I've applied for but no one seems to care what you majored in, just that you have a university education.
I only have one: that's lodging management.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Well, I haven't finished college yet, but I'll say it anyway.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering at the Technological Institute of the Philippines.
Currently a third year in a five-year course.

Which means I'm Filipino. But hey, don't hold out on me, okay? In our country, college education is quite a mandatory requirement for most jobs. You won't believe this, but I'm sure this is only an exaggeration: You need to be a college graduate EVEN if you want to apply as a bathroom cleaner! XD

Like I said, it's just an exaggeration.

May I ask, what Computer Engineers usually do in the field? I mean, in the real thing.
I'm considering leaving my beloved country for greener pastures abroad once I'm finished here.
I'm tired and sick of our goddamn life here. I'm sick of our corrupt leaders who keep on leeching on the efforts of the people, leaving nothing for them. They get to eat those who don't even raise a finger to work.

How I wish the Stars of Destiny will gather here in the Philippines and change it for real. If anything, I would like to be the Tenkai Star. O_O
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

In May 2009 I got a Bachelors in Computer Science from Illinois State University.

I have a great job (just started last month), but a graduate degree is enticing me. I'm thinking of going for a Masters in Computer Science or Bioinformatics with night classes.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

You went to ISU? Nice, I have quite a few friends who went/currently go there.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

At the end of this month I'll be starting my study towards a BA at Victoria University in Wellington, New Zealand. Double major, in English Lit and Media Studies (I intend to drop the less interesting one as a major in my second year). Interested to see how it all goes...
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.