RPG Project

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Tsubaki

RPG Project

Post by Tsubaki »

People probly post these alot..

Ive been thinking of ideas for a game and think it would be a better idea to have other people to work with to bounce ideas off an stuff so if anyone wants to help let me know..
ive been trying to work with one guy but he dont really put much effort into it an all the ideas seem to come from me :/
so id rather have people who are jus as into it as me..

it el be writing it all then once its done, figure out how to make it all into a game.

the world needs a good new rpg.
When its all said and done im feeling like the milkmans son!
ninjaluc79

Re: RPG Project

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Well, maybe you need someone who can configure good stats for your characters, I guess?
If you need a mapper, then there's someone else you may need to call for help.
Still practicing on scripting and stats configuration, though.

What RPGM platform are you using? What stats do you want to have?

Please leave a reply here. I would be more than happy to work with you. My brain's like lead lately.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Tsubaki

Post by Tsubaki »

Well at the min im writing the story an characters an all that sorta stuff..
but id like to get a little team together to work on stuff expand what i got an come up with new stuff..

what id like to do is finish off the story and character an the place its all set
then start actually making the game..
the rpg makers are alright i do like the old school classic style they use for um
like good rpgs from back in the day like wild arms an early FF's an breath of fire..
but id like it if i could get someone who knows scripting so it could get made as an indie game for xbox live.

what ya think??
When its all said and done im feeling like the milkmans son!
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

You will have a lot of difficulty finding someone with scripting / programming skill and is willing to do all that work to put your story and plot into a working product, because most folks who learn that sort of skill learn it so they can make their own game. Thus, there will be very few (if any) people who would be out there wanting to code a game for someone else.

I've seen similar ideas in the past many many times that have failed due to nobody having any actual programming skills. The only projects that have succeeded, such as Exit Fate, was possible because the project leader was also the main person involved in the programming.

The same is true with many other indie games out there. Most established "game designers" hired by the large companies are also often former programmers, including Yoshitaka Murayama (creator of suikoden). You'd need programming knowledge to understand the possibilities and limitaions of whatever programming language and platform you're using.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Vextor's comment holds a lot of truth. Most people who program and are interested in making games want to make their own games. That's not to say that you can't get help, but learning some programming yourself and making prototypes would help people know that you're for real.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Then how about me, like, I can at least tell a story and create stats for my characters, but I have a problem with mapping. Like how do I make my world map, or how do I make my dungeons puzzling enough to offer the player some kind of challenge.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Silfan

Post by Silfan »

I actually have to disagree ... Making a simple RPG with RPGM does not actually require programming skill.
At least not, if you just use basic stuffs from RPGM.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

ninjaluc79 wrote:Then how about me, like, I can at least tell a story and create stats for my characters, but I have a problem with mapping. Like how do I make my world map, or how do I make my dungeons puzzling enough to offer the player some kind of challenge.
a lot of independent JRPGs don't bother with free-movement games and you just choose a location to go to. most of them are SRPGs, where the only maps are the battlefields.