Percy Jackson & the Olympians

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Runemaster

Percy Jackson & the Olympians

Post by Runemaster »

Hey, has anybody read the novel series? Or expecting to watch the film?

I've read the first four books and they were AWESOME.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Sagiri

Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians

Post by Sagiri »

The movie is really goooooood. I so wanna read the books now.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
Eden

Post by Eden »

Because of a friend, I started to read the first book and ordered the next two books the next day, because I liked the first very much. At the moment I am at the fourth book, which is cool as the rest.
I have to say I enjoyed the dry humor a lot, but the story elements, especially those small parts in the first books, are no big surprise to anyone who enjoyed the greek myths before reading these books.
The Fool
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

The film's awesome! They changed a lot form the books, and i have to say the book is better. But books are always better than their film adaptations so it doesn't matter. lol.

Finished book 5 now. Best book series I've read. :shock:
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, I want to because I love Greek mythology. On the other hand though, I heard that one of the characters is supposedly a daughter of Athena...which just shouldn't happen. Athena has vowed herself to chastity and I'm pretty sure she could take care of anyone who tried to force her. It would just irritate me to no end...I could see myself just sitting there thinking "That's not right, that's not right, that's not right" throughout the whole thing. :P
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Eden

Post by Eden »

Don't worry about that :-)
Although this may sound like a spoiler, I will tell you this, because it doesn't come very early in the series: The girl you have in mind is conceived just like Athena in some way, hence you shouldn't let this stop you from reading the books ^^
The Fool
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Chris_Lightfellow wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, I want to because I love Greek mythology. On the other hand though, I heard that one of the characters is supposedly a daughter of Athena...which just shouldn't happen. Athena has vowed herself to chastity and I'm pretty sure she could take care of anyone who tried to force her. It would just irritate me to no end...I could see myself just sitting there thinking "That's not right, that's not right, that's not right" throughout the whole thing. :P
Really? Wow. My source of Greek stuff is only the novel series so Hestia, Artemis and Hera are the only ones I know who swore never to give birth. :lol:
Eden

Post by Eden »

Hera, really? I mean, she is the godess of confinement and marriage, isn't she? And isn't Ares for example a normally born child contrary to Athene?
The Fool
Chris_Lightfellow

Hera has given birth to both Ares and Hephaestus. Yes, Ares was born normally, his parents being Hera and Zeus. There are different stories about Hephaestus's birth though. Usually it's either normally and he's the son of both Zeus and Hera or he was born through parthenogenesis by Hera, much like Athena was by Zeus. Hestia, Athena, and Artemis are the 3 that swear by chastity, that I can recall. I feel like I'm forgetting one for some reason.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Eden

Post by Eden »

Any other things that would keep you from reading the series? ;-)
The Fool
Chris_Lightfellow

Haha, I don't have time to start a new series with school and all. Maybe at some point I'll read it.

Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Oops! I meant Hera can't have demigod children coz she's the goddess of marriage so she's pretty devoted to her husband. But Hestia and Artemis, I think, swore not to have any child at all. Sorry bout that. :lol:
Chris_Lightfellow wrote:Haha, I don't have time to start a new series with school and all. Maybe at some point I'll read it.
The books aren't that long (well, compared to HP series). Around 300 pages each book.
Chris_Lightfellow

Still, I'm in the second semester of my junior year of my undergrad and I'm an English major. I have lots of reading and writing that I have to do normally, so I don't read if I don't have to at this point :P

Eden

Post by Eden »

I "kind of" understand how that is, because as bookseller trainee I need to read a lot of books as well. Reading more than required can be exhausting. Still, I personally can convince myself to spend a day on a book like the Percy Jackson books and enjoy it ^^
The Fool
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

[quote=Finished book 5 now. Best book series I've read. :shock:[/quote]
5? There's 5?
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.