Konami releasing updated Suikoden Encyclopedia

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Xelinis

Konami releasing updated Suikoden Encyclopedia

Post by Xelinis »

http://www.konamistyle.jp/sp/genso/?ref=genso

It looks like this upcoming March will herald the release of a new Suikoden Encyclopedia. Hopefully, this will shed more light on the fantasy world we all know and love and, if we're lucky, maybe even reveal some vague hints at the future.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Konami releasing updated Suikoden Encyclopedia

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Would be insta-buy if it wasn't tainted with Tierkreis.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Nice! I hope it comes out in English, but I highly doubt it. Hopefully some nice people would be willing to translate certain things, though :wink:
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

USD 100 for a book? That's rather steep, even for Suikoden standards. This better not disappoint the way Marugoto did. That one was such a cop-out.

Tierkreis being included as an interesting take on the old Encyclopaedia, especially how exactly they plan to integrate its entries with the mothership titles' ones.

Also, I see them releasing Volume 2 of their new-age arranged CD at the same time. It's Celtic and Asian turn this time around, so it should be good. Based on previous Celtic and Asian collection releases, at least.

Above all though, one wonders if they are purposely teasing us with all these merchandises before unveiling Suikoden VI. Tokyo Game Show 2010, anyone?
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

patapi wrote:Above all though, one wonders if they are purposely teasing us with all these merchandises before unveiling Suikoden VI. Tokyo Game Show 2010, anyone?

Things seem like they are pointing in that direction, don't they? I certainly believe so :)

Oh, it looks like if you buy the encyclopedia and new CD then you get a free mug! Looks great. (it might be the new calander and CD you have to buy, not sure)
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

The game won't come. Think about the last few years when we all kept saying: OH TIHS WIL BE THE YEAR!! But it never happen... I give up on this series. I'm going back... to the first one I played.... MARIO GALAXY 2222!
Nick Bruiser
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Tierkreis came out in December 2008 (JP), so it has only been a bit more than 1 year since then. Nothing unusual there, as far as Suikoden is concerned.
KC_MCDOHL wrote:Oh, it looks like if you buy the encyclopedia and new CD then you get a free mug! Looks great. (it might be the new calander and CD you have to buy, not sure)
Actually, the rune-printed mug comes with the latter combo, which was released last December.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

It did come: Teirkries came out. Okay, it wasn't the game we where expecting but it shows that the series isn't dead. But you're right - Im going back too ...Sega Megadrive style! Streets Of Rage and Golden Axe here we come! :wink:
Matthew McDohl

Post by Matthew McDohl »

KC_MCDOHL wrote:It did come: Teirkries came out. Okay, it wasn't the game we where expecting but it shows that the series isn't dead. But you're right - Im going back too ...Sega Megadrive style! Streets Of Rage and Golden Axe here we come! :wink:

Streets of Rage!!!!!!!!

Ive just started replaying all the old Suikodens. Then If I dont have a 6 by then, it is onto Vandal Hearts and Legend of Dragoon.

So is this Encyclopedia going to be in Engrish yet? Do we know?
MAD 01-08-2004
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

In all likelihood, this revision will follow the original: it remains Japanese-only.

If even the too-popular Final Fantasies don't get their Ultimanias translated, it's even far less likely for less known franchises like Suikoden.
lungfish

Post by lungfish »

It's a shame this isn't translated to English. I'm sure there are reasons, but I'm positive it's something that most Suikoden fans would love to own and read through.
Shameful.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

lungfish wrote:It's a shame this isn't translated to English. I'm sure there are reasons, but I'm positive it's something that most Suikoden fans would love to own and read through.
Shameful.
Ha! Tokyopop couldn't even get the fans interested in the manga of Suikoden III, they just whine about how they can't download it for free. Which publisher in their right mind would bring over an encyclopedia based on the same franchise once the fans have proven that not even they will pony up the cash for their fandom?
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
lungfish

Post by lungfish »

A manga and a slipcased encyclopedia are two entirely different things. Granted, as you say, the amount of revenue they (whoever they is) would make as a result of selling a translated version would probably teeter on laughable.
But, again, I just think it's unfortunate. I know I would love something like that to be released in the states. That would be a great book to have, but I accept that it will probably never ever happen.
It's just a shame, that's all.