Crying over video games?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Belle

Re: Crying over video games?

Post by Belle »

Though there were some moments in the Suikoden series that felt emotional, I don't think I ever really did cry. Although there were those moments in Suikoden V (going one-on-one against Miakis, Galleon's flashback, reuniting with Lymsleia for real, losing Lyon in the end if you didn't get all 108) that brought me damn close to tears.

Other games... well, a chunk of FFX, a couple of moments in FFX-2, a couple of moments in Xenogears, the majority of Xenosaga Episode 3.

The only recent game that almost made me cry is Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. The ending parts of it, to be exact.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

I remember being slightly shocked at Nanami's death, but I find it really hard to actually cry over a character's death. Those moments need to be very well handled IMO, otherwise it will feel like those events only exist for the sake of shock-value.

The one thing that truly hits my tear-canals though would be those moments where two best friends have to separate and say goodbye forever. Which probably would explain why I felt pretty emotional over Jowy leaving my side, same with Dragon Age Origins since you can't always keep your favorite characters depending on the choices you make towards the end.
I'll also admit to crying at the end of the first Klonoa game when I was younger.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
rickstilwell1

Post by rickstilwell1 »

I don't cry, but sometimes I get this disgusted feeling in my gut when innocent characters are killed. The first time I saw Luca killing all the villagers of Ryube + Pohl who were begging for their lives, your friend's fiance in Vandal-Hearts: Flames of Judgement who was smashed in the head by an enemy with a warhammer etc. - pretty violent stuff. You just get this feeling like "argh I couldn't save them." I think the scenes in the game are meant to make you want to kill the main enemy even more, but just like in real life once you kill the assassin, you're left with an empty feeling like you wish the person was still around.

Other times such as the event with Lulu it's like "you idiot, I told you not to run ahead and that's what you get for being a hotheaded dummy. You're a weak kid who thinks you can hurt a commander of a the knights? I don't think so" So some have it coming to them, others have deaths you wish you could have prevented but aren't allowed to.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

i don't think i cried playing suikoden, but when i first did way back when i was a 9 year old kid, that part where luca kills pohl sort of traumatized me. am i the only one who actually liked pohl? i even wanted to try and read his darn diary. lulu's death was pretty epic, but i was more angry than sad.

the only game that has actually ever made me cry is dark cloud 2. the ending is just so damn bittersweet. =(
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I liked Pohl too! xD
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

*high fives* yeah, man! i wish they put a bit more of dialogue regarding his death after mercenary fort. he would have made a good SoD. =)
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

lol yeah totaly ....he was one of the good guys!
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Night Shadow wrote:i don't think i cried playing suikoden, but when i first did way back when i was a 9 year old kid, that part where luca kills pohl sort of traumatized me. am i the only one who actually liked pohl? i even wanted to try and read his darn diary. lulu's death was pretty epic, but i was more angry than sad.

the only game that has actually ever made me cry is dark cloud 2. the ending is just so damn bittersweet. =(
I liked him too. I thought he was really nice. When he died I was a bit sad. :(

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

yay! that makes three of us! ^_^ at least he died for a noble cause, protecting pilika.

i was thinking of the crying thing, and i just remembered....i bawled like a baby when final fantasy 13 ended. dont ask why. =P i just did.

and deon, i love your suikoden posts on tumblr. just wanted to say. ^_^ cheers!
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

XD Thank yoooooooooooou! I was surprised to see more Suikoden fans on that site. It's brilliant.

The ending of FFX makes me teary eyed. I mean, the original ending is bad enough, but when I found that AMV and it was an FFVIII and FFX tribute to (my favorite band) Keane's Try Again..it makes it 1000000 times sadder. It gets me every time.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

you're welcome. keane is amazing! i love crystal ball and somewhere only we know. somewhere only we know has a stellar music video. very hayao miyazaki-ish. ^_^

and i know what you mean. ffx was sad, but the "real" ending of ffx-2 gives us a happy ending. =) i think music really helps in changing the atmosphere of game endings, especially if they have vocals. dark cloud 2 had one, and it was beautiful. ff13 had a decent one. kingdom hearts had the privilege of getting utada to sing their themes, which was amazing.

it would be interesting to see a future suikoden with a vocal theme. =P
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I searched Amazon mp3 for Suikoden, not expecting it to come back with anything, and was surprised to see a vocal arrangement for the mercenary fort song. Of course I bought it lol

On topic: I'm not given to crying over video games or movies or anything, but if the Pohl scene was in a movie I'd be tempted. That and Gremio's death.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

lol Of course I bought it :P
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Well i could have cried earlier when i was playing Fire emblem. I had spent an hour and a half on this one level and i had to survive for ten turns. I finally got to the last turn having killed all the enemies aside from the boss when he suddenly shoots one of my units with a damn longbow and kills him! If i lose any character i have to restart as once they die in battle they never come back to life, much like in Suikoden's major battles, where you can lose someone permanently, WHY GOD WHY! :cry: ...I'm ok.

On a more relevant note: Alundra is the saddest game i have ever played as over half the cast gets killed off and they all ways play this heart wrenching music. When a certain someone dies (I wont spoil it for anyone who hasn't played the game) it had me bawling like a newborn. Gremio's death was pretty sad but i did appreciate the extra space in the party he left. Besides i was more upset when Teo died i mean i really wanted the five generals and Tir in one party. What a waste of life.
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

games like that are frustrating. though fires emblem is an extraordinary game and worth the time. i remember playing disgaea, and i was trying to finish this boss battle, and my only healer in the group, flonne, was killed. i only had two other fighters at the time, and they were both low on health. thats why i suck at tactical games. =(

i think i played alundra way back when, though i think i played part 2. twas a good game. they should make a part 3.