Crying over video games?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Mise

Re: Crying over video games?

Post by Mise »

Oh, at the title, I thought this was going to be a thread about sore losers, and getting all choked up, "THIS GAME IS IMPOSSIBLE" etc, etc.

When I first played Suikoden as a wee youngster, I kept getting stuck (which is silly, looking back) so I'd repeat the beginning a few times, getting more attached to the characters as I went.

Then, around nine or ten years old, I really buckled down for a playthrough, and I teared up at Gremio's death due to the stacked attachment I had to the character. I knew him for years at that point. XD
It is no coincidence that man's best friend is incapable of speech.
Eden

Post by Eden »

I never cried over a game, but I often have misty eyes while reading books. So far games, even great stories, haven't caught me as much as a good book can catch me.
The Fool
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

avenger wrote:oh cool now i know he dies so i won't use or equip him when i get him..
ya it kinda sucked cuz he was good at fighting, plus the hero's reaction upon discovering...
and when nanami died, i felt like, o--kay that sucked but nothing big. i've recently been accused of being heartless.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Most RPG's make me cry. Especialy Aries death in FFVII and Suikoden II bad ending. The stroylines in RPG's always tend to have a melancholy side to them and I always felt that Valyrie Profile capitalised on that, what with the whole point of the story revolving around characters dying ....a very depressing game lol but for me Suikoden II is definantly the most involving/moving game out there.

Its not just about games that make you cry - for me its about the games that really take over you, you know? Where you feel so involved with the story/characters etc. MGS 1 had such an effect on me I started to think I WAS Solid Snake for a long time, that I was actualy IN Shadow Moses :lol:
Teck

Post by Teck »

I have cried a wee bit for certain games, I'll have to admit.... But manga gets me far worse.... Off the top of my head the games I can think of easily are FF6, FF7, FF8, Grandia 2, and Shadow of the Colossus.... The older FF games had a way of sucking me into certain characters very easily.... I swear if I was ever a video game character, I would Locke Cole....
She walks in beauty like the night, of cloudless climes and starry skies.... - Lord George Gordon Noel Byron
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

Teck wrote:I have cried a wee bit for certain games, I'll have to admit.... But manga gets gets me far worse...
Oh I KNOW i cried for fullmetal alchemist. but that was mostly frustration because the manga site i was reading from DOES NOT HAVE CHAPTER 1O5.

And I cried at the end of Suikoden Tierkries. That was happiness that it was over and everything was good.
Teck

Post by Teck »

Sagiri wrote:Oh I KNOW i cried for fullmetal alchemist. but that was mostly frustration because the manga site i was reading from DOES NOT HAVE CHAPTER 1O5.

And I cried at the end of Suikoden Tierkries. That was happiness that it was over and everything was good.
Well that's because FMA is serialized in Square Enix's Monthly Shōnen Gangan magazine and 105 hasn't been published yet....
She walks in beauty like the night, of cloudless climes and starry skies.... - Lord George Gordon Noel Byron
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

Well, I didn't really cry at the end of Tierkries.

I realized I got a good ending and choked on my pop.
Freak

Post by Freak »

The only game that ever actually made me cry is Xenogears. To this day, that is the most emotional game experience I ever had. At one point, I honestly felt so shocked and betrayed that I just stared at the screen for five minutes.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

that happened to me during the queens campaign in suikoden 5 on my first playthrough. i didn't really cry, though.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I wrote a thread here on Suikosource some time ago about a similar topic:

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=8667

I realise its a bit intense and somewhat saddening, sometimes I cringe a little when I think back over what I wrote, but I still stand by the essence of what I say. The intensity of what a good RPG can do to you and how immersed you can become in it is still vivid in my mind.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

That post isn't terrible, what you said really struck a cord with me. I myself cringe over what I wrote in that post, as it describes four years of my life in which I had completely gone over to the dark side.

I'm currently in the middle of Arc the Lad: End of Darkness. I'm stuck in Rodion's Castle and I cry out of frustration every time those freaking robots kill me.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Thanks Sagiri. It feels so good to have someone simply agree with that post ;)
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

Aw, it's no problem. It's all very true.

It's as true as the fact that I need serious help in Arc the Lad right now.
groovycow

Post by groovycow »

I cried at the end of FF8 when Laguna visits Raines grave what can I say I'm a sappy mcsapster
"Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed" - Joseph Stalin