Crying over video games?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Re: Crying over video games?

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Yeah Fire Emblem is one of my favourite tactical games i cant believe that Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū wasn't released outside Japan.

Alundra 2 was a disgraceful sequel, that bared no relation to the original game and it destroyed the chances of Alundra 3 ever been made, which is a real shame. The original Alundra is in my top 3 rpg's along with Breath of fire and Suikoden, it's a spiritual successor of Landstalker which is also a great game though it lacks the emotional depth that Alundra has.
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Night Shadow wrote:i remember playing disgaea, and i was trying to finish this boss battle, and my only healer in the group, flonne, was killed. i only had two other fighters at the time, and they were both low on health. thats why i suck at tactical games. =(
coz you were supposed to buy lots of healing items for the story boss battles. laharl is the only fighter of mine, get lots of thiefs and throw the enemies into 3x3 square and use winged slayer to kill them all
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

^ exactly why i suck at tactical games! ^_^ you must be pretty good at it then. =) i stopped playing disgaea years ago, though, out of frustration. haha.

yet another reason to cry. =D
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I'm not, learned from my brother about everything in disgaea
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Raou

Post by Raou »

Here's a few moments I've choked up on:

Shadow Hearts - The Canon Ending: After all that struggle to watch her die, I felt a bit cheated and couldn't help but weep for Yuri in Covenent.

Shadow Hearts 2 - Both Endings: All good things must come to an end but really, one had Yuri going back to the most important time in his life and the other one had him well...become a mute with no memories living with Roger. My fiance and I agreed that the ending he goes back to when he met Alice had a better turn out, even if the events still transpired the same...

Suikoden III - When Chris strikes Lulu down. I had a feeling that, despite what little time you spend with Lulu, you were meant to get attached. And when I saw him fall and how Hugo reacted, I hated Chris...until I played her role and saw how she felt, then felt some remorse over hating her in the beginning. But as Sgt Joe said, "If you unsheath your weapon in war you must expect to have your life taken"--paraphrasing.

Suikoden V - The Death of Ferid and Arsthat: I had fallen in love with both characters, more Ferid than his wife. Whenever Ferid spoke of loyalty and how one should be allowed to speak your mind, that stuck with me....and when I saw how torn apart Arsthat was when she killed Ferid (and was in the process of seeing him die) I choked up.

Tactic Ogre - The Way the Game Played Out: My first time EVER beating Tactic Ogre on the Playstation, I was stoked! A new world order lead by main-character, his sister survived, Canopus and the White Knights were with me....I thought I did something right! Until someone ran into the throne room and shot my main character as he was beginning his rule. I merely stared in disbelief at that....It was a big "WTF" moment.

Persona 4 - Saying Goodbye: After the 'real' good ending to the game, I felt it was not fair for the MC to say goodbye to his comrades...I shed a little tear at the feeling of saying goodbye to friends and possibly never seeing them again.

Hm....

Final Fantasy IX - Zidane's "Home": It was bit sad to see what the poor monkey boy had gone through only to realize what he left wasn't as good as he had it. In my opinion anyways.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

shadow hearts! good game! good game indeed! ^_^ the canon ending of part one was stellar. it took me awhile to get, but it was fun nonetheless. i was more sad than anything, but at that time i was playing it, they were making part 2, so i sort of guessed it would bring a bit of closure to yuri's story. i think i sympathized more with the "side stories" in the game, the things that didn't really do much to the main plot, but were sad nonetheless (ex. gepettos puppethouse plotline). and hey, whyd they have to *SPOILER* kill little jeanne off? i found her quite charming. *END SPOILER*

makes you think though, the ending where he meets alice again would mean yuris timeline is just one giant loophole. ^_^
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
Raou

Post by Raou »

Night Shadow wrote:^ exactly why i suck at tactical games! ^_^ you must be pretty good at it then. =) i stopped playing disgaea years ago, though, out of frustration. haha.

yet another reason to cry. =D
You want to talk about sucking at Tactical Games? I've been playing Tactics Ogre on the PSX and I sort of...overpowered...my characters early in hopes of later on taking on Hell Gate. I'm prone to beat the game and my characters have a basic 250 stats and upwards for everything but Move and LUK.

I also invested in having more archers than front line fighters due to how OP'd they are.

Naturally you'd think I'd be able to take over Hell Gate....welp, not a chance. The enemies were close to my level and unremorseful about kicking my ass.

About Disgaea though...I loved that game. Especially the insane level cap of 9999. I kept bribing the Dark Consul and wound up beating the game my third time through with only Larharl and a Majin with insane stats. lol. That game literally ASKED you to break it.

Am I the only one who laughed at Larharl's comments at Lord Baal, btw?
dragons_descent4

Post by dragons_descent4 »

I choked up a bit the first time I played through S1 and Gremio died. The only game that's honestly ever made me come closer to crying than that was in S5 when the whole scene with Ferid and Arsthat.
Honestly I felt an instant connection with those characters and the chaos in the beginning when the palace was being taken over and how the family had to separate anyway was just heartbreaking in itself,then to find out later what exactly happened to them,and Georg's involvement in it...it was overwhelming. Especially seeing Arsthat's reaction to killing Ferid.
Generally the plot in V was very compelling so I wasn't surprised at shedding some tears over it.
"Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
"Too bad I have to fight with you."
- Viktor and Flik

Into dark humor? Check out my upcoming webseries!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Morb ... 1697490455
primierra

Post by primierra »

I`ve choked up on :

Breath of Fire IV : When I know the fact that Nina`s sister has became monster, Fou lou`s side story.
FFtactic GBA : Mewt and Ritz`s reason to defend the illusion world.
FFtactic : Death of Delita`s sister.
Saga frontier 2 : When Gustave got exile from the kingdom.
Wild Arms 2 : Marivel armitage reunion.
Suikoden I : Shanchez betrayal ( I feel sad to Shanchez and Flik...) , Death of Odessa and Ted.
Suikoden II : Death of Nanami.
Suikoden IV : When Lazlo or Snowe got exile from Razril.
Suikoden V : Death of Arshtat and Ferid.
S Tactic : When The old merchant killed a kid (Nohl`s friend ) in Merseto, Death of Edgard.
Audiences want more than logic.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

OH! When Futch finds out the final ingredient for the potion to wake up the dragons...
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Zer0

Post by Zer0 »

Hmm, let's see. SPOILERS abound of course.

FF-

Aerith Dying
The entirety of disc 2/3 of Final Fantasy 8 / Squalls slow emotional growth as he realized what Rinoa meant to him / standing by her despite her sorceress nature.
Tidus figuring out his true Nature / coming to terms with Yuna's supposed unavoidable fate.

Shadow Hearts-
Yuri's final conversation with Alice

Suiko-

Ted eventually dying (i really identified with his friendship with Tir at the start of the game when i was a kid)
The final Duel between Riou and Jowy

Xenosaga-

Allen standing up to Kevin Winnicot and snapping Shion out of her face heel turn when he finally lets her know how he feels.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Hmmm... scenes that got me a little choked up:

Suikoden - Gremio's death and Teo's death
Suikoden II - The good ending.
Final Fantasy IX's ending

That's about all I can remember from the old days. More recently, Castlevania Lords of Shadows had a very emotional ending, and the epilogue after the credits made me feel even worse for Gabriel.
PSN: FreshMetal80
adrielle.martin

Post by adrielle.martin »

I don't think i have cried ever, while playing any game. After all its just a game
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Boooooo! :P
Akihiko

Post by Akihiko »

I got really sad through various parts of Suikoden I but I think the part that affected me most was Ted's death. He was and still is my favourite character in the whole series.

The ending of Persona 3 was also really upsetting. I also cried a lot at Shinji's death and I still do when I play it again.