Prop 8... sigh

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
RangerDeon

Re: Prop 8... sigh

Post by RangerDeon »

wait so. . .and this may be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. . .was this for California and California only?

Or does every state have this Prop 8 thing?

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

It's just for California. Arizona, Arkansas, and Florida also had similar measures on the ballot, and they all passed. Arkansas's initiative also made same-sex adoption illegal. It's sad, but you can't expect much else from the South.

Most states have already made same-sex marriage illegal. California, Connecticut, and Massachusetts are the only states that presently allow same-sex marriages.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

really? I didn't think that Connecticut allowed it. I thought California was the second state to allow it and that was it.

very sad and disturbed by this. I knew Amendment 2 (Florida's version of prop 8) would pass. It's the south. My friends and family and I did our part, but it passed anyways.

I kept seeing these signs - "Yes on Amendment 2 - Protect Children." Protect children from what? from people who could potentially adopt them into loving homes if they needed it? I am telling you, these people don't know what they're talking about when they make these signs, when they think these things up. anyone who feels like same-sex marriage would somehow invalidate their own relationship is obviously too immature to get married, and don't understand what marriage should be based on.

I cried. America made the right choice for president, but we took a monumental step backwards by pushing these amendments through. I celebrated last night, but our victory feels kind of hollow somehow because bigotry won in the end.
Purr.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Connecticut's Supreme Court ruling doesn't go into effect for a little while, but yes, same-sex marriage will be legal in Connecticut very soon.

If the South ever allows same-sex marriage, it will be because the federal government forces it upon them, just like the Civil Rights Movement. It won't happen any other way.
Crowley Reborn

Post by Crowley Reborn »

I'm not a big fan of Obama. I wasn't a fan of McCain either though. I just don't like his ...communist ways.
Steal from the rich and give to the poor? How about live the American dream and make your own damn money. But hey, that's just me. I believe in hard work. I don't think that the harder a person works doesn't matter. And lower costs of tuition for college? C'mon. There are two ways to do that. 1. lower the quality due to lack of funding through tuition or 2. Up taxes to keep the revenue, thus equaling out by paying more in taxes (even for those not going to college) and paying less in tuition.
But... I just hate politics. I think everyone's got it wrong.
Check out The Old Kingdom Ardänia series, starting with the first book, Vermillion Skies
http://www.facebook.com/prbison
http://www.facebook.com/vermillionskies1
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

While I found your post amusing, if you really want to rant, please make a new topic.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

my proposal is still valid, right? propose a new legal status: "mairrage". It will be a copy-paste of the definition of "marriage", except it is for same-sex couples.
then the religious fanatics won't care, because it's not touching the idea of "marriage". done.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Oppenheimer wrote:Consider my general opinion of the United States taken down a notch then.
So I see that it passed. I suppose this balances out the victory towards equality that electing Obama did. Certainly couldn't have the US really be totally progressive.

Edit: You know what our former PM said about gay marriage? You can't make it a vote to the public because it is the job of the government to protect minorities. It is unfair to allow a majority to vote for the well being of a minority.

This is especially true because how does gay people getting married in any way effect straight people? It doesn't.
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

So I see that it passed. I suppose this balances out the victory towards equality that electing Obama did. Certainly couldn't have the US really be totally progressive.

Edit: You know what our former PM said about gay marriage? You can't make it a vote to the public because it is the job of the government to protect minorities. It is unfair to allow a majority to vote for the well being of a minority.

This is especially true because how does gay people getting married in any way effect straight people? It doesn't.
Exactly!

And besides, it's a violation to the constitiutional amendment for civil rights and the discrimination amendment to preclude individuals based solely on their lifestyles. The antigay marriage laws and making it illegal to adopt if your gay is a big disapointment in Americans for me, but hey, it took 150 years since the end of slavery for ablack man to be elected to the highest office. I guess tolerance takes time. But I can still have expectations from a modern society, such as the U.S., that minorities will be protected by the government.

I hope that with the Dems in control of congress that an Amendment can get passed to overturn these laws and give better equal rights to everyone. They also need to make it law that women have to get paid the same for the same job. There are still some states that don't pay women the same for the same job in some occupations.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I was not surprised when it went through.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

don't you hate the word "tolerance"? i tolerate you. that implies i resent you completely but i won't do anything about it. when the VP candidates said they tolerate gays during the debate it really pissed me off, but i guess it's honest since they think gays are abominations and would burn them on the cross if they had the chance. so yeah, they "tolerate" gays.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I do hate that word "tolerate"
It's stupid. We're human, we're the same as everyone else. . .we just happen to be attracted to the same sex which I find incredibly crazy. But we're still human nonetheless.

-Lorelai Gilmore
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

Crowley Reborn wrote:I'm not a big fan of Obama. I wasn't a fan of McCain either though. I just don't like his ...communist ways.
Steal from the rich and give to the poor? How about live the American dream and make your own damn money.
Communist ways? :lol:

Making those earning over $250,000 a year pay 3% more in taxes hardly makes Obama a communist when you consider this is what the rate was back in the 80's when Reagan was President; funnily enough John McCain was saying the same things when he ran in 2000 - and it'd take a brave person to call him a communist! Besides, making those at the top pay more means those earning less than $250,000 can pay less, which makes a change from the last 8 years and is exactly what Obama proposed during the campaign. Whether he can live up to this promise remains to be seen due to the financial crisis - time will tell.

Also, how many Americans earn over $250,000 per year anyway? Will they be crippled by a 3% increase? I doubt it.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Crowley Reborn wrote:I'm not a big fan of Obama. I wasn't a fan of McCain either though. I just don't like his ...communist ways.
Well, he would look good in red.

-Lorelai Gilmore