Lemmy's music discussion thread

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Lemmy Claypool

Lemmy's music discussion thread

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

I'm aware that there is an existing music thread here but as it's 15 pages long and hasn't been posted in for months I thought it best to open up a fresh one. Also, the intention of this thread is to discuss anything to do with music (such as any gigs you've been to or are going to, playing instruments, etc.) as opposed to simply listing your tastes.

Anyway, music is pretty much my life, ideally I'd love to be able to support myself through music, knowing that it's unrealistic to become rich and famous through it, but being able to play for a comfortable living without the curse of fame would be my ideal job.

I play bass but am currently between bands, although I have recently started jamming with some guys from work doing metal stuff in the vein of Machine Head, Pantera, Slayer, stuff like that.

I listen to pretty much anything and everything, other than R&B. It's literally the only genre I can think of from which I can't stand a single artiste. Recently I've been listening to a lot of rap, hardcore punk and black metal.

This year's been pretty slow for me gig-wise, so far having only been to Download and Leeds festivals, other than the odd local gig. However, upcoming I've got Damnation Festival, Machine Head/Slipknot in December and Electric Wizard headlining Rise Above Records' 20th Anniversary gig two days later. Last but not least, early next year, Causing Chaos for Cancer, which is put on by a friend of mine.

I wonder if anyone knows to whom my name is a reference to, in which case you should also be able to guess my favourite band. Not the Lemmy part btw, everybody knows Lemmy from Motorhead *sticky out tongue smiley would be here if they were working*.

Please, let discussion commence.
Michael Easton

Re: Lemmy's music discussion thread

Post by Michael Easton »

I am incredibly jealous of the fact that you're going to see Carcass. I'd probably give a few fingers to see them - quite fitting really, considering their lyrical content.

Also, have you heard the new Enslaved album? From the few tracks I've heard it sounds immense.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Whoah another post, excellent, it was beginning to look like Kalekka in here lol.

I've not heard the new Enslaved album, no. Whilst I do like the band I've never heard any of their albums all the way through, just the odd song.

And yeah, Carcass were the clincher for me haha, I'm looking forward to seeing most of the bands at Damnation (there's only 2 I have no interest in going to see lol) but Carcass are the reason I'm going.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Wow, old Lemmy, welcome back, first time I saw you here again in S'source.

Well, when I posted way back about my music tastes, NP during those times, I was simply listening to Metal like Wintersun, Cynic, etc.

Nowadays, I listen to "Intelligent" Dance music, or whatever it's called. Hypnotic beats on a standard 4/4 signature with a wide range of melodic structure and Theory? Sold! I never thought musical rudiments can be so heavily implied on music such as disco or simple pop. Majority of what I'm talking about exists in J-Pop. A huge thank you to Konami/Bemani's Guitar Freaks and Drummania simulation games, these games introduced me to a wide, array of music I've never heard of.

As for ordinary music, hmm... I recommend Japan's Every Little Thing - Dear My Friend. One of the Pop-Rock songs that I wish I could've composed (I'm a music major). Cute voice, with Metal guitars and Synthesized keyboards in that. I could share it, and also some similar songs to that, if anyone's interested, I'd like some opinions about the kind of music I listen currently.
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

Occam Arkitect wrote:Well, when I posted way back about my music tastes, NP during those times, I was simply listening to Metal like Wintersun, Cynic, etc.
The new Cynic album is supposed to be amazing, which isn't surprising considering how awesome Focus is. I've heard 2 songs and I'm salivating like a wild dog for the new album. Sean Reinert is one of my favourite drummers.
Lemmy Claypool wrote:Whoah another post, excellent, it was beginning to look like Kalekka in here lol.

I've not heard the new Enslaved album, no. Whilst I do like the band I've never heard any of their albums all the way through, just the odd song.

And yeah, Carcass were the clincher for me haha, I'm looking forward to seeing most of the bands at Damnation (there's only 2 I have no interest in going to see lol) but Carcass are the reason I'm going.
If only At The Gates were playing as well I'd be there in a flash.

Still, there's always Metallica to look forward to in March - the day after my birthday no less!
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Michael Easton wrote:
The new Cynic album is supposed to be amazing, which isn't surprising considering how awesome Focus is. I've heard 2 songs and I'm salivating like a wild dog for the new album. Sean Reinert is one of my favourite drummers.
Sein Reinhart? Oh man, I love that guy too. I used to dismiss him as a "normal" Death Metal drummer back when I saw Death's Lack of Comprehension, then all of a sudden, poof! Cynic and Aghora slapped me in the face with his excellent and finesse drumming.

Indeed, the demo I've heard from Cynic's new album was very good.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Occam Arkitect wrote:Wow, old Lemmy, welcome back, first time I saw you here again in S'source.
Thanks, it's good to be back =o)
Occam Arkitect wrote:Nowadays, I listen to "Intelligent" Dance music, or whatever it's called. Hypnotic beats on a standard 4/4 signature with a wide range of melodic structure and Theory? Sold!
I'm a huge fan of IDM. Standout artists for me are Aphex Twin (or any of Richard D James' aliases, the man's a genius), Boards Of Canada, Squarepusher, Datach'i, Locust Toybox, Autechre and Venetian Snares. I highly recommend all of these if you enjoy your electronic music glitchy and/or atmospheric.
Michael Easton wrote:If only At The Gates were playing as well I'd be there in a flash.

Still, there's always Metallica to look forward to in March - the day after my birthday no less!
I've never been a huge melo-death fan but At The Gates are one of the few bands of that ilk I can listen to.

As for 'Tallica, I think there was talk of going to see them also with my girlfriend, though I've seen them twice already so I'm not overly fussed if I can't make it. Also contemplating going to see The Berzerker at Newcastle in December.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Lemmy Claypool wrote:
I'm a huge fan of IDM. Standout artists for me are Aphex Twin (or any of Richard D James' aliases, the man's a genius), Boards Of Canada, Squarepusher, Datach'i, Locust Toybox, Autechre and Venetian Snares. I highly recommend all of these if you enjoy your electronic music glitchy and/or atmospheric.
Thank you, it's nice to see a recommendation, I'm new to this kind of music.

NP: Rebecca, Shadow Gallery (RIP Mike Baker)
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

So I went to Damnation yesterday, it was the first one I've been to but probably won't be the last.

Unfortunately, as the bands' stage times weren't staggered, there were a lot of clashes and I didn't get to see everyone I would've liked, but everyone I did get to see played killer sets, not a single disappointment. As I still have a somewhat patchy memory from alcohol consumption, I shall post some reviews up at a later date.