Any good books we're reading right now?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Any good books we're reading right now?

Post by Oppenheimer »

I'm now reading the Millennium series (starts with Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). It's really well written. I haven't read something this amazing in a long time.
Belle

Post by Belle »

...decided to dive into Battle Royale after all.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I haven't read any of the Battle Royale books or comics, whatever it is that they are, only watched the movies. I found them to be quite good, although maybe not for the weak of heart.

I myself started with the Game of Thrones books, reading a few chapters every night. I have to say, the show is really following the books, maybe not to the letter, but surprisingly well.
TenkaiStar108

Post by TenkaiStar108 »

I'm reading the Game of Thrones books~ so far, so good!
dragons_descent4

Post by dragons_descent4 »

I'm reading "Sanford Meisner on Acting" it's pretty decent,albeit confusing at times,but I suppose I should get into the more intense training for it before reading this. Ah well...
"Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
"Too bad I have to fight with you."
- Viktor and Flik

Into dark humor? Check out my upcoming webseries!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Morb ... 1697490455
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

J.r.r Tolkien: The Similarion. The text is a little age, archaic rather. Still I am find it a good read. I just wish it didn't feel like I was reading the bible.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Post by Noraibah »

The Red Badge of Courage is great............
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!
dragons_descent4

I started reading "Phantom of the Opera"....I always knew it was a novel but always just got lazy and watched the musical haha...so far so good though.
- Viktor and Flik

Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

I'm currently working my way through The Howard Marks Book Of Dope Stories and The Marvel Chronicle.

The former is a collection of writings compiled, and in some cases written, by the infamous drug-runner-come-author/spokesman/comedian/public speaker. As enjoyable and informative as it is, the very nature of the book makes it somewhat tedious to immerse yourself into. Given that anything goes as long as it's about drugs (ranging from tobacco, caffeine and alcohol all the way through to the hard stuff like heroin and methadone), you might find yourself reading a poem about wine one minute, then when it's over you may jump straight into a quote about cocaine, only to be followed up with a short story about marijuana. As such it's very disjointed so I can't really recommend it to anyone but people interested in that kind of thing or fans of Mr Marks, who would probably enjoy it for a few original writings from the man himself dotted throughout.

The latter is a huge tome that weighs about as much as a breezeblock and chronicles the history of Marvel Comics, coupled with the real world events occurring at the same time and shaping the future of the comics they produced. Again, very informative and interesting, replete with classic strips of yesteryear too!
dragons_descent4

I just started re-reading the script,"Savage in Limbo",it's an interesting if not some what depressing comedy about these regulars at a bar trying to deal with life. Vague,but I suck at explaining things. Everyone in it is 32,which bugs me a little,but it kind of works I suppose. You got the super virgin,the slut,and a weird boyfriend that wants to leave his hot girlfriend to pursue ugly women.
Despite the darker themes in it,it really is an interesting play. Plus I like the idea of a show where the actors never leave and the set never changes. On an acting point of view I think it's a little more challenging in a way. But I'm rambling now...
- Viktor and Flik

Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

It took me over three years, but I've finally found a copy in English.

I first heard about this book during the early stages of my Borges obsession, as Roberto Bolaño's magnum opus and a shining pillar of the Ultraist vein, a movement that Borges had helped to father. Every trip I made to a bookstore ended in failure as I'd only get blank stares from the owners when I asked about it. My multitude of attempts to get the book online weren't much better, as I'd open the package and excitedly flip through the pages only to discover that it was in Spanish. I've had three separate refunds, and had to sell the book for a loss twice more.

Every Sunday, I'd always wake up and go to have brunch at a little brasserie three blocks away from my apartment, and every time, I'd pass a little bookstore that I had never bothered to give a second thought for. Today, for the first time in several months, I was in the reading mood, and on whim, stepped into the store for the first time. The moment I walked in, in a dusty corner, I saw the numbers in bold 2666. I picked up this copy and flipped through the pages expecting another disappointment.

That did not turn out to be the case.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Hahaha, yeah Bolano is great. I read "Amulet" a few years back, but have never been able to track down "Savage Detectives" or 2666. If you like this one, I can definitely recommend Amulet.
SuikoLove

Post by SuikoLove »

Currently reading Lincoln by Gore Vidal. Highly recommended if you're at all interested in the American Civil War or just good historical fiction in general. Hoping to read all of the "Narratives of Empire" series eventually.
dragons_descent4

I'm about half way through "The Thin Executioner" it's not bad,it reminds me of "Siddhartha" in a few ways. It's very dark though,good but dark. There's a whole concept of death in here that I want to shadow a bit in my own writing.
- Viktor and Flik

AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

The Troy trilogy by David Gemmell. Amazing!