Joan of Arc is like Chriss.

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Joan of Arc is like Chriss.

Post by Noraibah »

Suikoden iii has been made more interesting(probably the whole series)because of this white maiden.She is a character that is so interesting that I felt that I was transported into a book rather than into a mere story that is made up of wars.She is like a messenger and heroine all mixed up into one.Well done,KONAMI!All of you deserved it for what all of you have been through to make this subtle yet outstanding game.PERSONA Iure.(signature)
Last edited by Noraibah on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Joan d' Arc is like Chriss.

Post by Oppenheimer »

Hmmm she's a female protagonist, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of religious messenger in Chris, like there is in Joan. The Zexen goddess is mentioned but only briefly.

And I think it's not White Maiden but Silver Maiden, but that might be a translation issue if you didn't play it in English.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

I think its both silver and white maiden. For one thing a person of fame can have many nic names to glorify or to seem larger than life. Also they may have one nic name and other people (not famous) may use many variations of the same name hence silver and white. I dont know how many people on this site follow the NBA but Shaquille O'Neal has many many nic names and mentioning any one of those (Shaq,the big cactus, superman, the big aristotle, the diesel) everyone knows who your talking about. In this instance I believe Chris is refered as the silver maiden by fellow Zexens and possibly other "humans" (non-tribal) and the non humans like the lizards and the tribal groups like the Kayarans refer to her as the white maiden, maybe due to skin tone.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
blah1017

Post by blah1017 »

I never really saw a connection to Joan d'Arc, but I will say that Chris is definitely my favorite protagonist in 3. I thought she was done very well.

Maybe a bit too angsty though. A bit.
Noraibah
Banned User

Post by Noraibah »

Both of them rides vhite horses if I am not mistaken(speculation).I never said that they vere related,I iust said that they vere alike as in they have something to do vith god.Chriss had the vater rune at the end vhile Joan had France rooting for her like a vater goddess.(French and Spaniards love vater and nice drinks;you knov...... (Sheesh......I was sent my second warning for this!I promise and swear by my oath that I am not offending the French or Spanish whatsoever or I would not even be a follower of their religion so thus I am a Roman Catholic). Edited by Noraibah.
Ancient Cheesecake

Post by Ancient Cheesecake »

Sorry to get a bit off topic but isn't it either Jeanne d'Arc or Joan of Arc?
avenger

Post by avenger »

i'd say i agree to this. i have the psp game jeane d'arc and she reminds me a bit of chris lightfellow in her fighting, kay?
Noraibah
Banned User

Re: Joan of Arc is like Chriss.

Post by Noraibah »

I do not know the spelling since I don't know any French and I only think Chris is like her because she is woman who is a hero.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

the French spelling is Jeanne D'Arc while the english one is Joan of Arc.

Chris did remind me of her a bit when I started playing SuikoIII and I'm pretty sure they took the White/Silver maiden from Jeanne but other than that and both being strong women I don't really see any other similarities.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

well, they are both women who have become heroines in societies dominated by men. That's another comparison.

In some parts of the suikoden world, women can become soldiers just like the men. In the Scarlet Moon Empire and Kooluk, there were a lot of female soldiers. And of course in the Karaya tribe women are recognised as warriors and treated equally.
Whereas in Highland, there were no female soldiers and even women of royalty weren't that highly regarded.
Zexen seemed to have a very male dominated culture. Even Cecile seemed to think she was a rarity - a girl dressing up as a warrior and standing guard.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

Another major difference is that Jeanna D'Arc wasn't actually an accomplished warrior before her fame. She was a generic peasant that was guided by god into becoming a masterful tactician. She led France more as a symbol, but she did take some heads.

Chris, on the other hand, basically got the job because she was the She-devil that was slaughtering grassies left and right.
Noraibah
Banned User

Post by Noraibah »

Then why does the King of France keep on insisting that Joan should fight the British when it is against her will. Chris was like this and that's why she went out with Nash to find the true motive. I'm also guessing that Joan of Arc was never burnt by the British but was exiled to Spain instead.I think it's very much against the Catholic doctrine to burn another Catholic even if that person was your arch-nemesis.This is my theory.
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

I would definitely agree Chris was designed with the inspiration of Joan of Arc, but her story wasn't designed to copy it-- it could have been influenced by the Joan of Arc story though.

Joan claimed to hear directly from God and carry out his orders. Chris does have to deal with spirituality but was thrown into the wheels of Destiny and True Runes and never fully understands the "religious" aspects of the Alma Kinan sacrifice. Although Chris ends up coming to terms with the whole ordeal, she definitely did not feel that she was doing "the work of God", and I don't remember her words with Luc (if she is FC), but it was probably something close to Geddoe's responses in that humans have freedom to shape their future.
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

Another example of a religious confrontation: In the final events of Chapter 1, Chris visits the church seeking reconciliation and solace. She was in shock after she was overcome with anger and reacted in impulse, which was very uncharacteristic for her. Religion and spirituality doesn't play a dominant role in the game, but it adds to the depth and complexity in Zexen's social structure.
A raw tomato for the win!