What are Genso Suikoden Fan Books?

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
Basel

What are Genso Suikoden Fan Books?

Post by Basel »

Hi,

What are Genso Suikoden Fan Books? Are they written by the fans or official books from Konami? How are they different from the manga?
A seller on eBay is selling volumes 1-12. Here are the links:
Genso Suikoden I and II fan books vols. 1-4
Genso Suikoden I, II, and III fan books vols. 5-8
Genso Suikoden III fan books vols. 9-12
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
killey

Post by killey »

They look official and they have the Konami logo on them, it's just a pity he's not shipping overseas or I might consider buying them.
Basel

Post by Basel »

killey wrote:They look official and they have the Konami logo on them, it's just a pity he's not shipping overseas or I might consider buying them.
Why don't you ask the seller if he/she is willing to ship overseas.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
killey

Post by killey »

If he's starting the bidding at $8 for 4 fairly thick magazines he obviously expects the price to get pretty high, maybe I'll wait and see what the price is in 4 or 5 days.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: What are Genso Suikoden Fan Books?

Post by patapi »

Basel wrote:Hi,

What are Genso Suikoden Fan Books? Are they written by the fans or official books from Konami? How are they different from the manga?
A seller on eBay is selling volumes 1-12. Here are the links:
Genso Suikoden I and II fan books vols. 1-4
Genso Suikoden I, II, and III fan books vols. 5-8
Genso Suikoden III fan books vols. 9-12
They are known as Genso Shinsho. They are official publications, and the topic linked below should have more details on them.

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=115
zaltabor

Post by zaltabor »

They are the Genso Shinsyo books.

Fore more info on them see this thread:

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=115
Basel

Post by Basel »

Thanks for the links. However, I still do not know what kind of a publication Genso Shinsyo is.
Are these publications more like fan arts or short comics submitted by fans?
Are they worth buying for someone who does not read or speak Japanese?
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

it would just be colorful pictures for someone that cant read japanese, do you like pictures?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Basel wrote:Thanks for the links. However, I still do not know what kind of a publication Genso Shinsyo is.
Are these publications more like fan arts or short comics submitted by fans?
Are they worth buying for someone who does not read or speak Japanese?
It's a combination. Some of the contents come from the staff themselves, others are submissions from fans.

I think they are worth buying if you are a fan of the series, particularly the earlier games. The language barrier might be a problem, but it's not like the novels, where the only contents were paragraphs with very few illustrations in between. However, I suppose the manga anthologies might be a better option for non-reader of Japanese.

Also note that they've pretty much stopped producing any more new issues of Genso Shinsyo since Issue 16.
Basel

Post by Basel »

patapi wrote: Also note that they've pretty much stopped producing any more new issues of Genso Shinsyo since Issue 16.
Thanks patapi. Isn't this vol.16?
幻想水滸伝 幻想真書〈VOL.16〉
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Correct. The cover features some Suikoden IV elements, if I'm not mistaken.

Hmm, apparently Genso Shinsho is also dubbed as "Konami Official Guide" by Amazon. Interesting.