Suiko...WHAT???

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
GordianKnot

Post by GordianKnot »

i played this a LONG time ago because my brother had picked it up. i was so put off by the name, I'd never seen a game with a Japanese title before. But I saw him play it, tried it and loved it. So obviously when I got my own playstation he bought his copy back and gave it to me. Still, I think Water Margin might have attracted more people than "Suikoden."
Jewber

Post by Jewber »

In America though Water Margin makes no sense, at least Suikoden is in its original language (sorta), its like trying to translate slang, doesnt work, in Japan and China people know the story of the Water Margin (or at least heard of it). Despite Water Margin being ENGLISH no one would pick it up, because, truth be told, THE WATER MARGIN sounds lame...
Silvermouse

Post by Silvermouse »

"Stars of Destiny" would have been an ok name.
Asquian

Post by Asquian »

Stars of Destiny isn't too bad.

Genso Suikoden sounds better, and is somewhat less confusing then seeing a game on a shelf called Based on Water Margin.
Sonya -cat

Great RPGs never die, they just get more expensive -Me
Teo Mcdohl

Post by Teo Mcdohl »

i think suikden is a better name if you see a game called water margin on the shelfs you would probably walk right pass it but when you see a game called suikoden being in a different language and all it grabs your attension.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

We're all aware that "Suikoden" translates to "Water Margin," but what does "Genso Suikoden" translate to?
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

It means "fantasy water margin."
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I can see why they didn't translate the name.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

Stupid question. But why does the Japanese version says Genso Suikoden,but the American version says Suikoden. Was this necessary for the game to be outside Japan to be appealing?
Shirofan

Post by Shirofan »

There is a copyright issue with the single word 'Suikoden' in a videogame context in Japan because of Koei's strategy titles based on the original story that predate the Konami games.

This is further confused by having a source with the same name that has had its copyright expire.

Koei's claim on the copyright however is only limited to Japan; and as the word is not the original title of the published work, just a translated variant, then there is less confusion as to the rights overseas.

Why exactly they decided to drop the Genso part of the name is unclear; it may be due to the fact they considered it to be a mouthful for people to remember and decided to cut it down to one word; although that word tends to be a mispronounced mouthful anyway.
Or it may just be that they found the single word more aesthetically pleasing for the title screen and box.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Actually, Koei doesn't own copyright for the word "Suikoden," because it's a common word. It's like trying to copyright the word "Bible." The novel was written before international copyright started, so there is no copyright--plus it would be silly for Konami to use "Suikoden" when the game clearly isn't Suikoden. It would cause confusion and make some people angry if Konami chose to name their game after a classical novel.

However, "Suikoden" is in fact copyrighted in Japan by a company called Chuhoku Medicine--they make alternative medicine products and have been in business for 270 years. "Suikoden" is apparently a name of a drink that's supposed to be an aphrodesiac of some sort.
Mytch

Post by Mytch »

Asquian wrote:I prefer suikoden. Water margin wouldn't have sold worth crap, IMHO. if i saw a game called water margin back when i bought the first suikoden, i'd have ignored it completely.
With the laughable cover Suikoden 1 had, I'm sure I wouldn't have even considered buying it if a friend had not shown me the light, and I'm sure there were plenty of people who turned away from it because the cover turned them off. *still hasn't figured out who any of those people on the box are*
Chaos_Zero

Post by Chaos_Zero »

I would have bought the games, even if they were called 'Teletubbies r0xx0rz ur b0xx0rz!!11!!!!1!!'

But that's just me.
The Miraculous Epidemic, Cruel Salvation, and Merciful Genocide.
BeastRune

Post by BeastRune »

Well, Water Margin might just be the most ridiculous title ever made, but Suikoden isn't a good name for a video game that is being marketed to American audiences. Hardcore RPGers like us may not care what the game is called as long as it provides a great plot and kickass characters, but Joe U.S. wants a game that he can pronounce. I agree that "Stars of Destiny" would have been more appropriate. Hell, Square renamed Dew Prism Threads of Fate and Dew Prism wasn't even that bad of a title. Copy Square/Enix Konami! Everyone else does now.
Akira

Post by Akira »

But if you look at the name Suikoden and try to pronounce it as you were taught in school of sounding out parts of the names you would get how to pronounce it as being Su-ii-ko-den.

The Japanese name for Suikoden translates from the original book written in the 14th century called Shuihu Zhuan, after the Japanese translation (sometime in the Meji era I think) it was translated into English in the 19 somthings as The Water Margin (aka Outlaws in the Marsh, Water Margin).

Genso does mean fantasy but it can also mean illusion.