Suiko...WHAT???

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
KQswst104

Suiko...WHAT???

Post by KQswst104 »

Does anyone know why Konami decided to call the games Suikoden in the U.S. and Europe instead of a translation??? The Water Margin may not sound as good, but at least you can pronounce it.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Although this may sound stupid, but it may simply be due to the translator not knowing that Suikoden means "Water Margin."
Silvermouse

Post by Silvermouse »

"Suikoden" doesn't sound any stranger than "Water Margin" to me. :?
Asquian

Post by Asquian »

I prefer suikoden. Water margin wouldn't have sold worth crap, IMHO. if i saw a game called water margin back when i bought the first suikoden, i'd have ignored it completely.
Sonya -cat

Great RPGs never die, they just get more expensive -Me
Pesmerga69

Post by Pesmerga69 »

your right Suikoden is a Much better name. The only reason I got Suikdoen was because of what it said on the back of the case.
-"why is life so hard?" "you keep landing on IRS.."
Juneve

maybe I am just an idiot...

Post by Juneve »

what does Water Margin mean? I don't get it. Yes, I am american so that might be the reason... but if anyone could tell me what it means.
There are only 3 things in life.
The Question, The Answer, and The Path between.
Asquian

Post by Asquian »

Water Margin is the chinese book on which Suikoden is based. I think suikoden means water margin, or something. I dunno bout that part.

Anyway, Water Margin is where the 108 stars of destiny idea came from. If you look around online you can find the 4 part book series. I'm in the process of obtaining a set.
Sonya -cat

Great RPGs never die, they just get more expensive -Me
The Bryan

Post by The Bryan »

Are the books in english?
WERD
Mymiridion

Post by Mymiridion »

water margin......your telling me you would rather have a game called water margin.....oh boy....
Shirofan

Post by Shirofan »

You have a game called the Water Margin; just because it is in a different language does not alter the meaning.

Actually it may have been more successful, in the UK at least, if it had been called the Water Margin as that would have seen people connect it with the dubbed 70's tv show of the same name (or the Chinese Restaurant on the corner.)

By referring to it as Suikoden then even those who are aware of the source material would be unlikely to make the link as the Japanese version of the name is not familiar.
The whole emphasis on calling the game Genso Suikoden in Japan was to inform people exactly what they were buying: a fantasy version of the Water Margin story; by continuing to refer to it as Suikoden overseas it gave the game a "what's that about then?" feel and insinuated that it was a quirky Japanese game.

As for the books of the original story then yes they are available in English translated from the Chinese. There are several versions with different names so you may want to try looking for "Outlaws of the Marsh"and "All Men are Brothers"; as well as "Legends of the Water Margin".
Lechium

Post by Lechium »

What does "Genso" mean than, since for Asian markets game is sold as "Genso Suikoden"?
koriand'r

Post by koriand'r »

Shirofan wrote:You have a game called the Water Margin; just because it is in a different language does not alter the meaning.

Actually it may have been more successful, in the UK at least, if it had been called the Water Margin as that would have seen people connect it with the dubbed 70's tv show of the same name (or the Chinese Restaurant on the corner.)
I don't think there are many 30yr olds who buy suikoden if any that is and if there were they'll be either fawlty tower fans, fools and horses, porriage, on the buses, stepfather and son fans or monthy python fans. I think that'll be going a bit far to assume that some people could relate the water margin name to a 70's show that would had been overshadowed by those titles.

I can see why the developers go for 'suikoden' It is a more effective product name than just water margin INMO.
Yubar

Post by Yubar »

lmao Water margine,thank god they didnt call it that i would have laughed at it,im a sceptic i only buy a game if it looks good or is reviewed high,except the odd occasion where i try my luck
Chaos is all I want, The suffering the pure screams of pain is what i thirst and i aim to please this hunger
Sesshomaru

Post by Sesshomaru »

I would of still bought the game but i would of hid it from my friends when they come come over for a party. :P
To be a rock and not to roll -Led Zeppelin
Marth Owns Old school style.
STYX!!
There must of been a door there in the wall!
KQswst104

Post by KQswst104 »

water margin......your telling me you would rather have a game called water margin.....oh boy....
There's no need to be a prick about it.

All I'm saying is I doubt the average gamer sees a Suikoden cover and says "GREAT TITLE"!!! The only reason YOU, I and everyone else likes it is probably because it gives us a sentimental feeling from being attached to 3 great games. Would you love it just as much if it had been called Water Margin to begin with? Yes, you would.