Suiko...WHAT???

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
LadyChris

Post by LadyChris »

hmmm, I've always pronounced it Soo-ko-den.
Kirke

Post by Kirke »

Jowy Atreides wrote:WOW, Fantasy Water Margin, that's the worst RPG name I've EVER heard of. Ugh, that's just horrible.
This topic got bumped at an appropriate time. EGM just did a feature this month on some of the worst names in game history ("Irritating Stick," "Donkey Kong," "Here Comes Mr. Domino," etc.). I'm sure Fantasy Water Margin would fit right up there.

I like Suikoden as a name, but there are a lot of people that mispronounce it. I was missing Vol. 5 of the SIII mangas, so I went to the comic store by my work to put in an order for it, and he referred to it as "Soo-kee-o-den." Blech.
Kimimi

Post by Kimimi »

Not knowing how to pronounce it can put people off asking for it - but I'd rather have "Suikoden" over the alternatives any day.
One possibility for the lack of name change - any major alterations would have resluted in Konami having to spend some time redesigning the logo as well as then altering the title and various other parts of the game. Considering the low availability and advertising for the series, it's possible that it was just cheaper to leave it the way it was.
Sagiri

Re: Suiko...WHAT???

Post by Sagiri »

Me too. I looked it up, and its supposedly pronounced swee-ko-den.
Lame!
I tell my friends I have a game named sweekoden? Its awesome but the name sucks.
I would definetly prefer Water Margin to sweekoden.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
zaltabor

Re: Suiko...WHAT???

Post by zaltabor »

Sagiri wrote:
Me too. I looked it up, and its supposedly pronounced swee-ko-den.
Lame!
I tell my friends I have a game named sweekoden? Its awesome but the name sucks.
I would definetly prefer Water Margin to sweekoden.
It is not pronoounced as swee-ko-den and if your basing it on the wikipedia entry it is sort of wrong.

It is pronounced as su-ii-ko-den with an even emphasis on all the characters. The reason people confuse it for swee-ko-den is because the Japanese can talk a lot quicker in their sentences so it does sound more like swee-ko-den but there is a subtle difference between sui-ko and swee-ko.

Just try and say them both very fast and you will notice the subtle difference.