Genso Suikoden 1 Novel Vol. 3 Impressions

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Genso Suikoden 1 Novel Vol. 3 Impressions

Post by dragonmasterx »

It's really disappointing that one of the coolest parts, crushing Neclord, is only skimmed over. While Tir, Humphrey, Milia, and Futch are busy at Seek Valley; there's only paragraph describing that Viktor joined forces with the Warriors Village to destroy Neclord.

I find the battle descriptions not as exciting as in Suikogaiden. The novel goes into too much detail describing battle formations and not enough on individual, specific actions in battle.

The way characters join are completely different from the game. Instead of going out of his way to recruit stars, Tir gets new members automatically. There's just one sentence usually devoted to each character joining. The most unique recruit would be Clive. He joins the Liberation Army during the battle of Shazarade(spelling?). When Tir's in a pinch, he suddenly smells gunpowder; shortly after, he notices a few enemy ships just blew up.

Pesmerga plays a pretty big role in the final battle at Gregminster. When everyone is worried that magic doesn't work because of the enemy's magic seal, Pesmerga leads the initial charge against Yuber's forces and eventually beats him down. Yuber has no path to retreat since he's in front of his own army, so he ends up cutting down his own allies to carve a path to the castle gate. Some guy from the castle calls Yuber a traitor(Ain Geed I think) and shoots arrows at him. Yuber disappears into thin air.

The last boss battle against Barbarossa played out differently. Humphrey, Viktor, Flik, Tir, Milvich, Kwanda, Sonia, and Kasim can do practically nothing agaisnt the 3-headed dragon. Humphrey gets hurt badly from the right head's lunge since his heavy armor inhibits his movement. Tir constantly fights with his conscience, deciding on whether he should unleash the Soul Eater's power or not. He doesn't in the end. Dragon knights led by Joshua fly in, but are also quickly defeated(why didn't Joshua summon a few Dragon Kings or something with his True Dragon Rune). Leeknaat talks to Luc about wishing to tenkai star in the sky. Then for some reason, all 108 stars start praying to the tenkai star and a beam of light pierces the 3-headed dragon.

Tir runs away right after the stepping out of the castle unlike in the game, where he slips out in the middle of the night.

Are all these differences in story canon? Were they approved by Murayama?

Note: Everything I described may not be 100% accurate. I wrote that from memory and my reading comprehension is not very good.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Well, the writer (Hori) has been criticized by many many people for his writing in these books. That's probably why he's nowhere to be found nowadays.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Do people criticize his writing style or the fact that he makes all these changes/additions? Does the Suikoden 2 novel have lots of story differences with the game too?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

It's not so much that Hori adds new stuff, but how he writes. It tends to end up being boring descrtptions after boring descriptions, and builds little excitement. It feels like the writer thinks he's writing an epic with a cool plot, but it feels cheap and sort of childish at many places. Suikoden 2 is pretty much the same deal, but Hori adds less of his own interpretation into that one.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

yea, Suikogaiden was way more exciting. KCET should've just asked the person who wrote the text for Suikogaiden to write the novels.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

hey dragonmasterx

since your A translater and everything maybe you could translate the gaidens for us?

I have no clue what the gaidens are about and I probably never will unless some kind soul like yourself translates the endless pages of text in those games

Please?
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

hey dragonmasterx

since your A translater and everything maybe you could translate the gaidens for us?

I have no clue what the gaidens are about and I probably never will unless some kind soul like yourself translates the endless pages of text in those games
There's alot of text in the 2 gaidens.

But we'd love it if you did it...Maybe..just maybe you could even make a Powerpoint slide show in english?

Just a sugestion...
[/quote]
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

Is too much work for one person, even SARS backed out of it, but if more than one people cooperate it could work...
”I am ye who walks his own path and thus I walk alone”
~Arenegeth~
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

After reading this thread for a while it really made me crave for a translation, but that's a lot of work as Arenegeth stated.
I hope everything is going delicious.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

no
Last edited by dragonmasterx on Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

sigh.... :(

it was worth a shot....