Suikoden IV Strategy Guide

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
True Wind Bearer

Suikoden IV Strategy Guide

Post by True Wind Bearer »

I haven't yet purchased this guide, although am going to. Tell me, what do you people think of the guide?

Don't reveal anything please, just tell me the pros and cons.
Last edited by True Wind Bearer on Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koriand'r

Post by koriand'r »

To save yourself some money just go on a faq site where they offer walkthroughs and other details, in fact you can get most walkthroughs and guides these days for free given that their put online these days.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Well, there's a reason why people buy walk-throughs instead of looking at sites.

With a walk-through you've got the information right in front of you, no searching through the endless void of the GameFAQs forums (if there's no guide to to your liking on the game's page itself). And there's no moving back and forth between your computer and the tv to get the information; it's all right in front of you. Of course that's pretty lazy, but that's what Americans are known for (I'm an American too so don't bash me for dis-liking my own nation).

Now, onto the strategy guide itself. Although lacking in some departments, if you follow the guide to the dot you can recruit all 108 SoDs with ease. Some of the more technical elements are wrong, like rune affinities, but if you just use a good mage like the guy on the Fog Ship or Warlock or Maxine you'll be able to dish out pretty good damage with all elements.

No offense meant here, but don't trust the topic at the SIV forums about the strategy guide and how much it sucks. They're used to being pampered and it's just way too hard for them to just search the dungeon themselves. Just another good example of Americans wanting to have it waaay too easy. The guide does what it's supposed to, it guides you through the game without making it way too simple, which is what I like, personally. And also, someone complained about the guide being wrong in the "Characters" section while still being correct in the walk-through itself.
Solution: follow the walk-through, and not the "characters" section of the guide. Oh man is that gonna be tough! *sarcasm*
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

I recently beat the game and then bought the guide, just because I am a collector of all things Suikoden. I agree with everything Jowy Atreides said above. If you want something to hold your hand and drag you through the game; this may not be your favorite guide. However, it does help when you need and point you in the right direction when you don't know what to do.

By no means is it perfect, there are some really strange grammar errors, and I think some plot spoilers every now and then. I liked that it didn't read like a book, and still left some of the adventure up to you to find out.
Agremsep

Post by Agremsep »

If you are just really up for a guide, then look through gamesfaqs or suikosource. If you are a collector of sorts, purchase the guide, it doesn't matter if it sucks or not.
With a walk-through you've got the information right in front of you, no searching through the endless void of the GameFAQs forums (if there's no guide to to your liking on the game's page itself). And there's no moving back and forth between your computer and the tv to get the information; it's all right in front of you. Of course that's pretty lazy, but that's what Americans are known for (I'm an American too so don't bash me for dis-liking my own nation).
Yeah, walking to the computer and going back to the TV is quite fustrating. At time, I opted for a laptop. But lucky me, I moved to a new house and this time I placed the stuff myself in my own room. I sit on my chair, the TV is in front of me and the computer is on the right of me. XD Woooo!!!
Fiery Wind

Post by Fiery Wind »

I really like to use the guide for all subsequent playthroughs so I dont miss anything. Its nice to have all that stuff sitting right in front of you when you need it instead of having to run to your computer all the time. Plus, it has more stuff than you can find on the internet because nobody wants to type all that crap. It's pretty good about not spoiling as long as you dont flip ahead.

I guess its really up to how much you're willing to pay for the convenience. I only paid $1.99 for mine, so its benefits outweigh the cost by far.
Vincent of Scarlet Moon

Post by Vincent of Scarlet Moon »

I don't mind guides in general, and go out of my way to buy those for games I've beaten simply because they look good.

I do, however, mind Brady Games guides, all of which I've found to be overrated and simply bad work. Especially when compared to the VASTLY superiour Piggyback series of guides.
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Despite what some people have been saying, I think the Suikoden IV guide is good. It covers all the necesseties, with some nice little extras. Of course, it could have been a bit more in-depth on some matters.