Shui Hu Zhuan

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
Mcdohl

Shui Hu Zhuan

Post by Mcdohl »

Ive recently bought the 4 volume 100 chapter set and was wondering what you all thougth of t. I am only on chpater 16 but i also want to know if it ever picks up because all it is so far is short stories of diffrent people and there still hasnt been even a mention of sung jiange.

Edit: Made sticky for being a recurring topic. -p
Asquian

Post by Asquian »

can it be found in english? if so i would be greatly interested in reading it, but i wasn't aware if it was in a language i can read.
Sonya -cat

Great RPGs never die, they just get more expensive -Me
Mcdohl

Post by Mcdohl »

Yes it is the names arent the excat same as it is in the characters section of suikosource but the nick names are the same lik hte blue face baeast. It is called the water margin it can be found at amazon.com here is a link of where i bought it. Link ATlest i belive it is the same thing becuase of the names and such and their leader is sung jiange.
as3ad

Post by as3ad »

I have it and it's true that it starts out with with just short stories of different characters, but thats only to show how they become outlaws. It will be pick up and it will get better, personally I loved reading it.\

Also Song Jiang doesn't show up until the seconf volume.
Mcdohl

Post by Mcdohl »

Yeah that is what i figured when does it start to pick up though?
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

When does Song Jiang appear?
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Flik

Post by Flik »

Im thinking about picking up this book. I just have a few questions....Is it a hard read, Like could a high schooler be able to read and understand it. Is it worth the price, and is it slow getting started into?
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

I read it early on in college, but I don't think anyone in high school would have a problem reading it, unless his reading level was already below where he should be. Actually, I believe the translation I read was different; it might have been called "Men of the Marsh," actually, and I've heard it called "All Men Are Brothers" and "Outlaws of the Marsh" in addition to "The Water Margin." So there is likely numerous translations out there of varying reading difficulty.
Wakaba

Post by Wakaba »

I don't know were i can find ths book. I live in Malta, it's a very small island in the mediteranean. I really want to read this book but i don't know were to buy it in addition all the libraries don't have the book. Is there anyone who can give me advice on were i can get it from, oh and amazon doesn't ship to Malta. I really want to read the book :twisted: so please anyone any ideas.
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

Erm, living in the middle of Suburbia, USA means I honestly have no clue how importation of more-or-less personal items is handled for your island. Best thing I can figure is research it, then look for the books on half.com or eBay, talk it out with the seller. If all it is on the sellers part is to slap the address on and let the US [or whatever other point of origin] postal service deal with the rest, which I imagine should be the case, then I can't imagine they'd have a problem with it as long as you pay the shipping costs, which is pretty standard anyway.
sereith

Post by sereith »

I did Shui Hu Zhuan for higher chinese literature, it is one of the four great literatures of China : Shui Hu Zhuan (The Water Margin), Hong Lou Meng (the Dream of the Red Chamber),San Guo Yan Yi ( Romance of the Three Kingdoms) and Liao Zai Zhi Yi (I dunno the translation but it's a collection of horror stories)
Basically it's about a guy who is rebelling against the emperor who wants him dead and he retreats in an area of mountains and forests, enquires the 108 SoDs to aid him. It is called the Water Margin because the army is unable to reach the main character's stronghold due to a large river dividing the area.
I think that's the story. I did it for a project about 3 years ago. There may be some errors
Blackblade27

Post by Blackblade27 »

I loved suikoden 1 and the books are soo similar. I highly suggest these books to any suikofan you will find yourself reading for hours. I finished all the books in maybe a couple weeks, and will most likely read them again. The only bad thing is that its alot harder to keep track of all 108 characters in the book then it is in the game, so i found myself forgetting about some of the characters later on in the story.
Even at his most powerless, man's existence is never without meaning.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

I tried reading the Chinese version, but it was too difficult for me and I ended up wimping out.
Blackblade27

Post by Blackblade27 »

Well I suggest getting the english version, I dont know if theres a difference in "Water Margin", and "Outlaws of the marsh"(the ones I have) I also believe the other name is "All Men Are Brothers" which you here quoted in the book many times. Just wondering if any one knows if they're all just the same book or if they're different in any ways. I also know that there is a movie called Water Margin (All Men Are Brothers) but its in Mandarin and no subtitles are available. It looks pretty much exactly like the book would, any one else seen this???
Even at his most powerless, man's existence is never without meaning.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Instead of starting yet another new topic on the original legend, I'll reuse this one instead.

I've been considering getting one of the many English translations of this literature, but I'm having doubts as to exactly which one to get. e.g. Romance of the Three Kingdoms have plenty of versions -- both abridged and unabridged -- of which the more popular opinion is to stay away from the latter to enjoy it to its fullest.

The ones that I know of are the ones translated as "Outlaws of the Marsh" (given as ISBN below):

1. 4-volume set: 7119016628
2. 3-volume set: 7119017357

Appreciate if those who've read/owned any of the translations could give some review. Including on the language used (if they are anything like the ones at http://www.threekingdoms.com/ , I'm good), and the completeness/accuracy relative to the original Chinese version, if possible. Pinyin is preferred.