Are there books of the story?

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
Viki

Are there books of the story?

Post by Viki »

I just read that the Suikoden Series are all taken from a book.What is the book's name? Is it written English or in Japanese? Can you buy the book from local bookshops or find it in libraries? :?:

Please I need to know were to find the book.
Odessa Silverberg

Post by Odessa Silverberg »

Suikoden's story is not taken from the book, it's just based on it, but it's different. And I think, each of the Stars of Destiny has at least one characteristic similar to one of the characters in the book.

The book (4 volumes) is originally Chinese but it has been translated, and there is more than one English version. The one I have is called "Outlaws of the Marsh". You can order it from Amazon and other on-line stores.

..I hope that helps.
"Even if I close my eyes, the world will not disappear..."
- Mathiu Silverberg -
Viki

Post by Viki »

Hey thanks i didn't know there were 4 volumes. Do you Know all the names of the books and yours what no. is it? :D
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

I don't have those, but I think that you get all 4 volumes together. It's one long story. So if you purchase Heroes of the Marsh or Outlaws of the Marsh or whatever version (I think they're only 2 Eng. versions), you'll get all 4 volumes. V.1 consists of chapters 1, 2 3 etc., and it's continued in the other volumes.... I think they're 3 volumes not 4.

I have no idea what the book's story's about, but i'd like to have it aswell. I don't know where to buy it from, it seems a bit rare.
Credit goes to "lucreborn" for my previous avatar.
"Judgement of Lorelai" for my current one!
Thanks both =)
Shirofan

Post by Shirofan »

Depending on the version you buy then the number of volumes will vary; as indeed will the number of chapters and where the book actually ends.

Other than "Outlaws of the Marsh" the book can sometimes be found under the names "All Men Are Brothers", "The Water Margin" or "The Warriors of Liangshan"

In fact the book is not a novel at all: the style is closer to a collection of stage plays, or a television series; in that a complete and closed storyline takes place for a few chapters, and then another one follows it which only tenuously links to its predecessor.

This style is also seen in other comtemporary works such as Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Journey to the West.

The amount of chapters that each episode takes is dependant on the version you are reading so is not usualy comparable. However the book does have three phases, it is likely that the latter two were later additions, but not all versions cover the full set.

The first deals with the way that the Stars of Destiny amassed in Liangshan Marsh, each episode tended to focus on a few of the main protagonists at a time so that many of the minor characters were little more than a passing reference.
This section ends when all 108 are together and are placed in order of rank.

The second section is one where the 108 are pardoned and fight for the Empire in a war against the Tartars; this section seems at odds with what comes before and at points feels like imperial propaganda.

The third is a much more costly battle where most of the 108 die, abscond or are taken away. This is a counter to the previous section, going back to the corrupt empire of the first; unfortunately it feels rushed and if you try and keep a tally of when people diappear you will likely miss some as several only get a one line mention as having died.

Do not expect the book to be the same as the game, the number of females is very low for a start, and some of the 108 are recruited through very dishonourable deeds; although it must be said that certain sections did inspire things in the game, the armoured cavalry needing a certain type of spear to defeat being one of the most obvious.

If you do obtain the book then you may find it easier to read it in episodes rather than attempt it as you may try a novel. It may be difficult at times to remember who is who, and you will probably find that trying to equate most characters with one or more of their game counterparts only makes matters worse.

The book in whatever form you get is likely to be approaching 2000 pages, if not more, so is a fair commitment to get through; especially if you are not used to the style used. And to be frank Romance of the Three Kingdoms connects better and is more intriguing (and you can follow who is who more easily) while Journey to the West is more entertaining and can be picked up for single episodes more easily.
Viki

Post by Viki »

Hey Thanks for the descriptions of the books. I'm am more interested in buying the books. To me it will be a sort of a challenge. Well i'll better start searching. Anyways thankyou :)
Blackblade27

Post by Blackblade27 »

i got mine off ebay for so cheap it was like stealing. I love the books allthough they arn't as much like the game. The games were based off the concept of the book so theres no mention on any true runes. But definetly worth 30 bucks for any true fan.