Manga Mistake or Translation Error?

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
Blitzkrieg

Manga Mistake or Translation Error?

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Well...the little things in life bother me like this...I bet this author/manga artist never played any Suikoden game...she probably got info sent to her from Konami then made up her own thing, but they never sent her any info on the first two games most likley, which brings me two this...

Piccolo - "I'm the third disciple of the great Magi Krolie".

So is that a mistranslation, or did she just guess at his name? If you don't know where I'm getting at, lol...Krolie = Crowley. His name means much when spelled right, because I read somewhere that there was a real Crowley that existed and he was a great physic or something.
"We are forgotten in times of peace. It's only
when war looms that people remember we exist."
-The Great Leon Silverburg
RiceBowl52

Post by RiceBowl52 »

Lol ya I remember that and that got me thinking for a while too
Fliktor

Post by Fliktor »

As I recall she has played the Suikoden games and is a big fan of them. And Crowley was a British magician in the 1900's sometime.
Whats your opinion on censorship? ... **** censorship!
[King Fliktor] [Axiose, my Dæmon]
Genso

Post by Genso »

The manga artist/author has no power over how the names are spelled in English. X_X

Krolie and Crowley are spelled the same in Japanese. Unless she's some super duper Japanese manga artist who also translates her own material to English, you're blaming the wrong person.
Blitzkrieg

Post by Blitzkrieg »

I didn't blame anyone, I asked if it was a translation error and ect.
Genso

Post by Genso »

It's just an error of inconsistent spelling between the manga and the game. Non-Japanese names are hard to convert back to their original spelling once they are romanized. Technically, the translation is not wrong. It's just that it's not consistent with the game and whatever connection the game's character had with an actual person in reality.
Blitzkrieg

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Like Cyndar and Sindar?
Genso

Post by Genso »

Yes.
Asquian

Post by Asquian »

and the many translation...oddities to also be found in the games throuhout the trilogy. we'll prolly even see a such in 4...
Sonya -cat

Great RPGs never die, they just get more expensive -Me
Sami

Post by Sami »

The abundance of these errors give an unprofessional image of Suikoden. Off course, it didn't hurt FF7 so what the hey...
HowlingGuild

Post by HowlingGuild »

Unfortunately, since even Konami doesn't have naming consistencies:
Mamie / Meimi
Cyndar / Sindar
and a slew of other things I don't want to think about so soon after waking up..... you can't really blame Tokyopop for mutilating the names ^^;

Unfortunately no one in Tokyopop has played any of the Suikoden games (I believe one of the girls working on layout was a "fan" of the series) but she's no longer working on the Suikoden III manga for Tokyopop. It's not like you can still EASILY obtain the Suikoden II Primera Guide (even that had problems) and a Suikoden III guide was never released for the US.

I did have a nice long chat with editor for Suikoden3 at one point about some of the names like their use of the name Cindal or was it Sindal.... and uh.... Cleric General.... *twitch*

The translator they DO have working on the series is going from bad to worse..... I can't remember who they have working on it but there were some really BAD translations in vol 4. I couldn't find my Japanese manga vol 4 so.... I only caught 2 of the worst translations. >.<;;;;;; *crawls into a corner to whimper*

One was in reference to the Flame Champion:
"His power and his will saved Harmonia from the hands of demons right?"

*twitch*twitch*twitch* I sent them a corrected translation for that line hopefully in time for print...

Sorry I couldn't fix much else m(_ _)m I'm only helping Tokyopop in a kind of advisory position for this manga and even then they only asked for input for vol 1 and 4. ^^

Personally I'm too scared to read the manga, although the editor for Suikoden3 has indicated that he'd be interested in knowing what they did wrong in the previous volumes so that it can be fixed if they ever reprint.
Bakerofish

Post by Bakerofish »

Sindar/Cyndar= when spelled in japanese (substituting english letters for japanese syllables/letters of course) would sound something like

si-n(u)-da-r(u)

the u is supposed to be silent but still very evident when spoken.

so its easy to make mistakes with naming and translating. i mean cmon its not like the translators are gamers themselves.

figure this one out

in gu ri shu i su a pawa furu lang gu we ji

and for further japanese translation madness

http://www.engrish.com
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

English is a powerful language.

Mistakes are expected in translations done by amateurs, such as patches for ROMs. However, professionally done translations should not have mistakes, nor shoulr translators have the attitude that "mistakes happen." Compared to well-translated games, Suikoden has had a problematic quality level.
NoseMaster

Post by NoseMaster »

If anything Suiko 1 mistranslated it to Crowley :X
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

English has the upperhand here only because those names were originally English, and had to be translated into Japanese for the game, and be translated back once more into English. It's unfortunate.