Anyone get the updated encyclopedia?

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Anyone get the updated encyclopedia?

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

That huge $100 one.

I'm curious about the entries for Zaj and Queen. People seem to think that Sanadia and Sanady are the same thing, but the timeline doesn't appear to allow for that. Zaj says サナディア every time in gaiden while Queen says サナディ in S3, if their entries still spelled differently then the two should be seperate places with similair names, much like Sarady.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Nikisaur

Re: Anyone get the updated encyclopedia?

Post by Nikisaur »

Updated encyclopedia?! God I wish I could read and/or speak japanese...
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
zaltabor

Post by zaltabor »

They're seperate places with similar names. The encylcopedia mentions no connection between the two.

The new encyclopedia differs from the first in that now it is split into various sections oraganised by the games themselves. This allows characters and places that appeared multiple times to have seperate entries for each game they appeared in. For example Flik has three entries in the encyclopedia (for 1, 2 and the Gaiden games respectively). It also allows virtually all the official artwork to be used for the characters this way.
ericm

Post by ericm »

Any translation of the encyclopedia in existence? (akin to xenogears perfect works translation, for anyone familiar)
Royal

Post by Royal »

Anyone happen to have an ISBN or full title for this? I looked around a bit on Amazon's JP website, but wasn't able to turn up anything.
Nanami_chan

Post by Nanami_chan »

I was looking in the encyclopedia and I cant find the isbn anywhere :/ sorry! ... but the full title is Genso Suikoden Kiwami Encyclopedia. Hope it will help you to find it but its quite limited and its much more expensive now (Ive seen it being sold for twice and almost 3x its original prize lately...). I hope you can find it because this book is really a treasure >.<
Royal

Post by Royal »

Thanks. That was enough information to find it on Konami's website: http://www.konami.jp/products/style_nm0275/.

It doesn't appear to be in stock, or even available to be ordered, at least based on my fairly shaky knowledge of Japanese. At least that's what I take "ご注文できません" to mean.

This was published earlier this year, right? One of Konami's pages lists the date as 2010, not 2012, but I'm guessing that's a typo. If it's from this year, I'm willing to spend a bit more effort trying to hunt it down. If it's two years ago, though, forget it.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

It was first released on its own back in 2010, but they reprinted it to be resold as part of the most expensive package of Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki this year. And I'd say their plan worked perfectly.

And, looks like it doesn't have an ISBN code, since it's a Konamistyle exclusive? Weird.
Nanami_chan

Post by Nanami_chan »

Yeah, it sold out quite quickly... You only can find it in online auctions like yahoo auctions japan, but the price is around 30000 yens (O_o). There is a cheaper way, though. You can bid for it in an chinese online auction site like taobao. But its up to you to trust the website, the seller and the company who bids for you...

Oh Patapi, youre right in everything, I was thinking I was blind for not finding the ISBN but now that you say that, it has sense xD
Royal

Post by Royal »

Thanks again for all the information.

I may check out the Yahoo JP auctions, but that's a pretty serious amount of money, even before you figure in the costs of using a deputy service. (Not to mention taking the time to navigate my way around a site in a language I'm not all that strong in.) It'd be nice to have, but there are an awful lot of other things I could do with that kind of money.

I was kind of surprised it didn't have an ISBN, but I went and looked at another book I have published by Konami (a Beatmania IIDX artbook), and sure enough, there's no ISBN there, either. I still think it's pretty strange.

And yeah, their strategy of packaging it with the PSP game would have been enough to get me to buy it - if I'd heard about it in time.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Yeah, I don't get how books get published without ISBN codes. It's the only sure method of looking up any book in any language, so Konami isn't being terribly smart this time, I guess. Due to its game-driven structure though, the revised encyclopaedia is rather unwieldy. They should have built on the original format instead, where it consolidates info on the same character/location/etc in a single entry, instead of having multiple entries for Jeanes and Vikis, etc.