Starting a Suikoden Collection

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
alheezy

Starting a Suikoden Collection

Post by alheezy »

So, I want to start a Suikoden collection of merchandise, games, etc. and I just wondering what would you consider essential to such a collection?

Obviously, the games, I know, but what else do you have in your collection that you think should be in any serious collector's possession?

Also, what places have you found that are good sources for finding items like these (other than eBay)?
thcrock
Global Admin

Re: Starting a Suikoden Collection

Post by thcrock »

Soundtracks would probably be the second thing to add to any collection. Start with the game OSTs, then branch out into the arranged albums and such. If you're collecting, you might want all of them. Musically, I'm partial to the Piano Collections and one of the arranged albums (the one with the salsa version of the Great Hollow theme).

Artbooks and guidebooks (lots of them Japanese) would be pretty cool to have.

You can find a lot of soundtracks on Amazon, but the rare stuff and artbooks/guidebooks would probably only be at import outlets. There should be more information in the relevant sticky threads in this forum.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Starting a Suikoden Collection

Post by patapi »

Personally, I'd put select art books immediately after the games. Though not all of them are worthy of this, given the huge array of books that the franchise has gotten so far. The comic adaptations and the Shinsho would definitely be among the first must-haves.

The soundtracks are excellent, but when it comes to the arrangement CDs, you best mix and match your preferred tunes. I personally like Celtic and Asian collections the best. Stay away from the Vocal ones, if Engrish is major issue.

Then you have the miscellaneous merchandises like those elusive Limited Edition versions of the Japanese game releases. I especially recommend the ones they made for Suikoden III and V.