Why Did LordLake Remain Intacted?

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Why Did LordLake Remain Intacted?

Post by suiko2fan2 »

****A few minor spoilers*****

So I am playing through V again, and i had this thought. So the area around Lordlake was burned, scorched earth by the sun rune, but what about the city itself? It just seems alittle odd that everything else gets burnt to a crisp, but the town.

Before anyone suggests they merely rebuild...i first would say "with what wood?" most of it got burnt to a crisp, but second and more important, both Sialeeds and Lyon make many comments about Lordlake and its different landmarks during the 1st visit right, They were remembering these different places before and after the scorching,..they would have notice contruction differences along with all the other changes. For example, they talked about visiting Lord Rovere's mansion as kids, it was the same building, it was not rebuilt after Arshtat attacked them. Besides why would the citizens with their limited resources rebuild the mansion of man that many blaimed for the uprising as well of a man who was no longer alive...lol...it was the same palce...most of the buildings were the same and were intact.

not to say a few couldnt have been destroyed here or there or that repairs have to be made..thats a giving..But the whole of the city was intact.. Why!? when everything else was utterly consumed by the sun rune.......
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Quing

Re: Why Did LordLake Remain Intacted?

Post by Quing »

First, it's been a while since I last played Suikoden V, so there might be evidence that directly contradicts my theory. If I were to hazard a guess, however, I would say that the sun rune doesn't actually burn things. My guess would be that the effect of the sun rune simply evaporated all of the water in the lake and took a lot of moisture from the air and soil. As a result, the plants died from lack of water. The water didn't return because Hatred Fortress was built and most of the water came from upstream rather than from the sky. I would guess that the destruction of Lordlake, then, was more gradual than sudden. I suppose that one reason that it seems this way to me is that we never actually see the Sun Rune burn anything. We see it trap people in bubbles and kill them instantly, we see it melt a glacier, and we see it do something which resulted in the destruction of Falena. In addition, the stuff around Lordlake wasn't destroyed in a massive kaBOOM; it was just dead. It also doesn't make sense to me to have a rune that renders the True Fire Rune redundant. As for Lyon and Sialeeds mentioning different stuff, it wasn't actually different landmarks, simply that everything was less green and pretty than it used to be. So it seems most likely that the destruction wasn't actually as impressive as it sounds, but that it seems terrible to the people because all of the water had dried up (and people need water).

It does surprise me a little that Lord Rovere's mansion is still so intact, however. You'd think that a guy as wealthy as he was would have had his house looted early on. Yet when the party enters the house, there's a MEDICINE there! There's this woman in town who really wants that medicine, and she doesn't rob Rovere's house?! He's dead! And he doesn't have any retainers guarding his house. What's going to happen to her as a negative result of the theft? Nothing. The citizens of this town are really virtuous, really stupid, or so exhausted that the thought of leaving their house fills them with despair.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Quing wrote:It does surprise me a little that Lord Rovere's mansion is still so intact, however. You'd think that a guy as wealthy as he was would have had his house looted early on. Yet when the party enters the house, there's a MEDICINE there! There's this woman in town who really wants that medicine, and she doesn't rob Rovere's house?! He's dead! And he doesn't have any retainers guarding his house. What's going to happen to her as a negative result of the theft? Nothing. The citizens of this town are really virtuous, really stupid, or so exhausted that the thought of leaving their house fills them with despair.
treasure chests and other random items you can find in places are typically for gameplay purposes only. so pretend they aren't there....

you are correct that the Sun Rune blasted the actual lake and dried it up. Even though she seemed out of control, I don't think the Sun Rune directly killed anyone. (actually scratch that, she kills plenty of people during the invasion)
Quing

Post by Quing »

All right, I can see your point with the treasure boxes thing (though it does seem lazy to me to have a medicine in close proximity to a woman who wants medicine). I still think, though, that Rovere's mansion is remarkably intact. I mean, we see some distirbance of order in the house, but there's still stuff of value there to my recollection (some books, the shelf itself, etc.). While the things we see there aren't mostly necessities, I still think there would have been a time before the general despair settled in during which many people would have ransacked the house more than it has been.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Quing wrote:All right, I can see your point with the treasure boxes thing (though it does seem lazy to me to have a medicine in close proximity to a woman who wants medicine). I still think, though, that Rovere's mansion is remarkably intact. I mean, we see some distirbance of order in the house, but there's still stuff of value there to my recollection (some books, the shelf itself, etc.). While the things we see there aren't mostly necessities, I still think there would have been a time before the general despair settled in during which many people would have ransacked the house more than it has been.
well Lord Rovere was probably highly respected in the community and the villagers are generally nice people so it was probably only ransacked by some outside soldiers once or twice then left alone.
Shinsengumi

Post by Shinsengumi »

We all should remember that a True Rune has its own will and unknown powers. for example the destruction of the Armes Kingdom. Arshtat used the Sun Rune to teach the people of Lordlake a lesson, she may have aimed her Rune powers towards Lordlake's main life source, the Lake. The damage on the town and it's surrounding was a side effect of the Rune's powers. houses damaged, trees gone.
"In war, truth is the first casualty" ~ Aeschylus