The Suikoden Calandar

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
Lovecraft_elder

The Suikoden Calandar

Post by Lovecraft_elder »

Okay... here we go again. Oh, I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I couldn't make it fit in elsewhere.

Okay, based on what Luc says in S3, the world is not very much older than 1000 years.
And... I guess I'm a bit unsatisfied with the world being so young, and thus so developed. Even if we do consider that the Runes have made it possible for the inhabitants of the Suikoden World to develop that fast, it makes no sense that there has been close to no development from S4 to S5 (there's around 200 years between those two games).

So, here's another attempt to explain it...

We know from ST, that there are 5 days in each week. An earth day, fire day, lightning day, water day and wind day, meaning that the weeks are obviously shorter than our 7 days. This means that their calendar is different from ours.

My question is: Is it possible that a "year" in Suikoden is much, much longer than 365 days/year?

Suikoden doesn't take place on our earth, but clearly another planet, universe, dimension, plane, reality... whatever, meaning that it is possible that the Suikoden world is moving slower around their sun, causing the years to be longer. This might actually make the "1000 years" that Luc talks about be... perhaps 2000 years if it was on Earth, or perhaps 10000?

I'd like your guesses and ideas about this.

EDIT: I read through the rules, and deleted the picture. Sorry.
Last edited by Lovecraft_elder on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everytime you try to drag real life physics into a fantasy setting, God kills a catgirl!" - Please, think of the catgirls!
Quing

Re: The Suikoden Calandar

Post by Quing »

Hmm. If years are longer in the Suikoden world, we have a problem. That being that for them to be enough longer that it would make a difference, it would also make a major difference in people's ages and in the timeline. However, people's ages seem to correspond pretty closely to ages in the real world. Otherwise, you'd expect people who are in their twenties to be entering into middle age which is not something we see. Yeah, that "the world is 1000 years old" bit sort of bothered me the first time I ran across it, too. My best explanation is that Luc is wrong. It's reasonably likely that the 1000 years are a metaphorical 1000 years, and that it really has just been a long time. He surely doesn't mean exactly 1000 years. Since he doesn't mean exactly 1000 years, but just in the general vicinity thereof, it might as well be 10000 years. There's not that much difference between the two. Alternately, the Suikoden people could just have no idea how short 1000 years is. Or, a third possibility, there were already civilizations before the world was made, and they just got moved from another world. But I'm leaning toward the "Luc is wrong" interpretation.

Also, I could be wrong, but aren't you not supposed to have pictures in your posts?
Tenko5

Post by Tenko5 »

He might have gotten it wrong or maybe the runes first memory of a host was 1,000 years ago so that's when it thought the world was created. My theory is that the world is actually filled with many geniuses (like how advanced the Cyndar were) and they created many of the advanced technology used in the games. If you think about our world it kind of stagnates for a few years and then a genius comes along and makes something extraordinary. Like in the past 200 years we created many "advanced" machines that make our world far better. So, it may simply have been that their world never stagnated and people advanced quickly.
Those who know much suffer much. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Why can't you be more sincere and earnest?! Like me!
Kyle: Yeah, how's that working out for you again?
Red rune

Post by Red rune »

Quing wrote:Also, I could be wrong, but aren't you not supposed to have pictures in your posts?
I dont know how he did put pictures in his post but ur not supposed to put it in, otherwise other people would have done that.

Anyway i doubt that Luc is correct about the world being '1000 years old', in fact i think that this is the timeline

?? ? 0 10 100 1000 10 000
I--I--I--I---I----I------I

(Lol crap timeline)

What im trying to say is that Luc only counted the 1000 years from the time that the solar calendar was made. No one knows when the world was created by the true runes.

There's no doubt that...
the world is actually filled with many geniuses
I'm lvl 99! plus my lvl68 party members
Tenko5

Post by Tenko5 »

You do know I was talking about the Suikoden world not ours?
Those who know much suffer much. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Why can't you be more sincere and earnest?! Like me!
Kyle: Yeah, how's that working out for you again?
Lord Marquez

Post by Lord Marquez »

In the Story of Creation it says Sword claimed it could cut through all that exists. Shield claimed itself impentrable. Thus, the conflict was born, a truly vicious conflict, lasting seven days and seven nights.

From Alhazred Old book 1

I always figured based on that it was a normal "earth week" in their world too
Lovecraft_elder

Yeah, however...
I ST, we are introduced to the very special sailing system. If we assumed that the "days" used in that system, are the same as days in everyday Suikoden life (which I am pretty sure of), we have 5 days: Earth Day, Fire Day, Lightning Day, Water Day, and Wind Day... that being days named after the 5 Powers of the World (Element Runes). Since this is the only day-system we're introduced to, one would assume that this is the one used.
"Everytime you try to drag real life physics into a fantasy setting, God kills a catgirl!" - Please, think of the catgirls!
Lord Marquez

Post by Lord Marquez »

Lovecraft_elder wrote:Yeah, however...
I ST, we are introduced to the very special sailing system. If we assumed that the "days" used in that system, are the same as days in everyday Suikoden life (which I am pretty sure of), we have 5 days: Earth Day, Fire Day, Lightning Day, Water Day, and Wind Day... that being days named after the 5 Powers of the World (Element Runes). Since this is the only day-system we're introduced to, one would assume that this is the one used.
Bah, yeah, you are right and it would seem to be the most logical thing to go on. But it seems like a plot error to me, that means the years a very different then ours and that leads to people's ages being screwed up. I guess if this were try, people are really younger then what their age shows. How younger? Me < Math
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

While Rhapsodia introduced some kind of calendar system, I thought it wasn't all that good.

There doesn't seem to be any repercussion if you purposely fast forward the time. Even a century and a certain 50+ years later, it's disappointing that we don't get any bonus for catching up with the original's timeframe. Heh.
G Zero

Post by G Zero »

Suikoden World Compared to Our World

60 Seconds Compared to 60 Seconds
60 Minutes Compared to 60 Minutes
24 Hours Compared to 24 Hours
120 Hours a Week Compared to 168 Hours a Week

5 Days a Week Compared to 7 Days a Week

21-22 Days a Month Compared to 30-31 Days a Month 21 Days a Month/5 Days a Week = 4.2 Weeks a Month and 22 Days a Month = 4.4 Weeks a Month Compared to 30 Days a Month/7 Days a Week = 4.2 Weeks a Month and 31 Days a Month = 4.4 Weeks a Month.

242 Days a Year to 364 Days a Year 365 on Leap Year 22 Days a Month*11 Months = 242 Days a Year Compared to 30 Days a Month*12 Months a Year = 360 Days a Year This does not include Months with 31 Days or February.

48.4 Weeks a Year to 52 Weeks a Year 242 Days a Year/5 Days a Week = 48.4 Weeks a Year Compared to 364 Days a Year/7 Days a Week = 52 Weeks a Year.

11 Months a Year to 12 Months a Year 242 Days a Year/22 Days a Month = 11 Months Compared to 364 Days a Year/30 Days a Month = 12 Months.

1 Year to 1 Year

If the Suikoden World was Traveling at the same speed on its axis as our Earth is traveling then I believe that there would be no change in time EXCEPT FOR THE AMOUNT OF HOURS A WEEK, MONTH, AND YEAR. Now If the Suikoden World was closer to the Sun then Our Earth, then there would be a Difference in Days and Months a Year.

I believe all this is correct, I work on it for about 2 Hours, tried to post it and Suikosource had logged me out, so I had to redo all the Math, So I believe it is Correct.

So IF this is correct, Somone in Our World being 10 Year old would Actually be 15 Years old in the Suikoden World.

10 Years * 364 Days Our World = 3640 Days Our World + 2 Days for Leap Years = 3642 Days Our World/242 Days in Suikoden World = 15 Years in Suikoden World

Thus Making someone Younger in Our World/Timeline/Whatever.

So having an 80 Year old in Our World would make them 120 Years old in Suikoden.

Having the Same person in the Suikoden World 80(79.8) Years Old would make them 53 Years old in Our World.

15 Years * 242 Days Suikoden World = 19360 Days Suikoden World - 20 Days for Leap Year = 19340 Days Suikoden World/364 Day a Year Our World = 53 Years in Our World.

This is odd, because in Suikoden I, Sylvina makes a comment about humans only living to the age of 50 or so. Doing the math it would make them about the age of 33 in Our World. I guess people who are Stars Of Destiny are above this rule?
"A cute young girl on the outside, and an ancient old crone on the inside!!! This vampire likes to eat her veggies. It's Sierra!!!"

"You, you shall pay dearly for that....."
Lovecraft_elder

Or they could simply have more days and weeks a year, than we got, making their weeks shorter.

If we assume that there's 365 days per year in Suikoden too, that would make: 365/5 (because of the days per week) = 73 weeks a year instead of the 52 we are used to. Am I making any sense?
Quing

Post by Quing »

We have the problem that people look approximately the age which they would if it were transfered to our world's time system. So people who are described as fifteen generally look closer to fifteen than to ten. Unless you also say that people age faster, you have a serious problem.
rhombus

Post by rhombus »

I agree with Lovecraft_elder. In fact, we don't even have to assume that Suikoden has a 365 day year, since it DOES, at least based on the ongoing calendar in Suikoden Tactics. Same number of days both per month and per year as earth. The only difference is that weeks are 5 days instead of 7. Assuming a day is the same amount of time and a year is the same amount of time (and both seem to be the case), then the number of months and weeks are irrelevant, as "months" and "weeks" are nothing more than arbitrary subdivisions of time measurement, a tool to organize calendars. In fact, the notion of both months and weeks are holdovers from the lunar calendar anyway, the word month derived from moon, so one cycle of the moon, with a week representing one quarter of the lunar cycle. We don't really know much about the Suikoden lunar cycle, Suikoden Tactics probably just used the 12 months to make it easier on us, the players.
Erk in danger!
maha_gnosis

Post by maha_gnosis »

Hm... I don't think Five elements in ST represent the days of a week in Suikoden...
Well, It could be like a chinese year...
the year has 12 types of animal and 5 types of element...

And the myth of creation also tells us that sword and shield battled for 7 days, 7 nights (this could be another hint that a week consists of 7 days)
Of course the myth could also be wrong, or even the myth means that they fought for 5 elemental days + 2 elemental days.

Or it is simply a culture difference... Island Nation has another belief.
Arun Nicklen

Post by Arun Nicklen »

If the world is only 1000 yrs old, maybe it means that there is only 1000 yrs of history, ie, before 1000 years ago is 'pre historical'. I don't see how the Sindar can be called 'The ancients' if they are less than 1000 years old.
'Bring back suikoden II graphics'