Religion in Suiko

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
Lovecraft_elder

Religion in Suiko

Post by Lovecraft_elder »

Hi.
I couldn't match this thread into any other topic, so here goes.

We know, that people of Suiko worship some religions. We have St. Loa and the Goddess Sadie in Harmonia, Zexen and so on. We know that the Falenans worship The Sun Rune, Twillight Rune and the Dawn Rune, while other countries worship the True Rune they may be related to.
We also know, that just west of Falena, there's a country called Nagerea; in fact, a theocracy. They've got to have some kind of deity as well.

My question is this: How important is belief to the average citizen of Suiko, and what religions are there?
"Everytime you try to drag real life physics into a fantasy setting, God kills a catgirl!" - Please, think of the catgirls!
Michael Easton

Re: Religion in Suiko

Post by Michael Easton »

From what I can remember (it has been a while since I've played on Suikoden) religion doesn't seem to play a great part in the series. Whilst Falena worship the Sun/Twilight/Dawn runes I wouldn't say that it necessarily constitutes a religion.

If I'm wrong please feel free to point this out :)
We also know, that just west of Falena, there's a country called Nagerea; in fact, a theocracy. They've got to have some kind of deity as well.
As for Nagarea I have absolutely no idea whether they're a theocracy or not. Where did find out about this? I'm rather curious.
Lovecraft_elder

I found out through the Suikosource website. http://www.suikosource.com/history/geog ... erlocs.php

I have the same impression about people of Suiko not giving much about religion.
"Everytime you try to drag real life physics into a fantasy setting, God kills a catgirl!" - Please, think of the catgirls!
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Well we do know that the Karayan clan, one of the six clans of the grasslands worship spirits of the world, and Nagareu is a theocracy, as to whom they worship is unknown. It would be interesting to see if they decide to make religion a bigger part of the story in future installments.

Also, do you think the New Armes Kingdoms traditions and ways of life, are the same as many muslim countries, such as Islam or even Hinduism.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Lovecraft_elder

I dunno about Armes. We've met the New Armes characters of S5, and none of them seems to be zealous or even caring about any belief. I'd image, that if they were as engaged in religion as some muslims are, we would have heard someone mention it.
However, the Suikoden-universe is still expanding, and it wouldn't surprise anyone if Konami suddenly announced that most parts of Suiko worship the same god, or... whatever they believe in. I mean, when Suikoden 1 came, I guess no one within Konami would've imagined that there someday would be a country called Falena.

It is possible that the next installment will take place in Armes, at least, many fans hope so, and I believe that religion may play a bigger part in the plot... perhaps.
Quing

Post by Quing »

There are a couple of other instances of religion that haven't been mentioned yet. Qlon Temple seems to be inspired by Buddhism. There's also that church in Tinto. And the fact that there are so many old books lying around that tell the creation story as related to the true runes implies that most people believe that the runes created the world and are thus gods in some sense. On the other hand, if you want to analyze more deeply, the fact that some characters say "god" as a form of profanity suggests that they live in a mostly monotheistic society. This, however, may be a matter simply overlooked by Konami. It does seem, however, that the majority of people in the world aren't very religious.
Lovecraft_elder

Agreed. I believe that most people may find the 27 True Runes creators of the world, and some might worship them as gods (or they may worship their bearers).
In the case of some characters saying "god." I believe, as Quing suggests, that this is just a "mistake" by Konami's side, since a lot of people use the word "god" to express some feelings. Guess nobody within the Suikoden-team thinked of that.
EternalOnslaught

Religion is a very complex topic, and inplementing that into a game is very tricky.

I am pretty sure the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia has a "god" too, and his name is Hikusaak. Which makes sense, if they do consider him a god. Many kings or rulers in ages past consider themselves divine rulers, from the creator himself, destined to rule the land.

So, it would make sense if some countries in the world of suikoden, consider their god the king, emperor, etc there god and savior.

But seriously, I would like to see religion play a bigger part in the series, maybe making characters that have some type of relatives as Joan of Arc or any other individual who was influence a lot by religion. Afterall, we can already relate some villians to our own worlds villians, such as Adolf Hitler or even Joseph Stalin.

Edit: Chris slightly reminds me of Joan of Arc, but not entirely.
Templeton
Banned User

Post by Templeton »

The Kobald carriage in Suikogaiden 1 had a "sacred kobald figure" travelling in it which suggests worship in their race. Elves and other human sects consider themselves "protectors of the forest" which could symbolize worship in that sence. Then there are the Sindar and we may see more and more of them in the future and perhaps a glipse of their "eternal city"

To that extent I believe that the Suikoden world is a very multicultured place that will be around I hope beyond my death and then I could play Suikoden in Heaven or something.
EternalOnslaught

It's just interesting to see how the culture and religion plays a part in every nation/country. And how they actually reflect on how our world is, I only wish that they continue to do this and improve as they go on, making more installments.
genso19

Post by genso19 »

It is revealed in Suiko V that Nagarea is indeed a theocracy, it is said in the Old Book 12:

"But this antagonistic relationship underwent a sudden and dramatic shift,
all due to the founding of Nagarea.
Nagarea was a violent theocracy, formed by integrating a group of small
nations in the south. Wanting to further expand its power, Nagarea sent an "armed missionary group" into Falena. "

For me though, religion could hardly take part in the series
"Hey, listen up! These Godwin traitors got no respect for justice. And sure, sometimes justice is just a little word. But sometimes justice is three feet of sharp steel smashing in your face. Now, let's go get 'em!"
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Most people worship the True Runes. Th True RUnes have been the cause of every war thus far. The Gate Rune wars were over Windys obsession with the Soul Eater. The Dunan Unification war was over the Bright Shield/Black Sword and Beast RUne. The Fire Brigner war was the 5 elemental true runes. The Island Nation war was the Rune of punishment and the recent Suikoden 5 war was the Sun Rune. As far as religion stands they do care but it's not like they go around saying "Convert to Sun Runeism!" "NO! I am a follower of the True Wind Rune!!". Most of them are more worried about wars and the like.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Quing

Post by Quing »

We do have this issue, though, that if the people of the Suikoden universe mostly worship the true runes, they seem quite uneducated about their own religion. I seem to recall many people having no idea that the true runes grant immortality to their bearers, and the fact that we still don't know what all of the true runes are shows, I think, a great deal about what is common knowledge. Of course, it could simply be a manifestation of the same sort of thing that happened in medieval Europe with the common people forbidden from owning a Bible (not that they could have read it if they had gotten one). Maybe there are plenty of people who know all about the true runes and just aren't telling.
jbd86es

Post by jbd86es »

Yea, it's odd that most people know very little of the True Runes. It seems that they know there are 27 True Runes, but could any of the characters (maybe Leknaat, Luc or even Yuber) name them all? And from who did the stories of the births of the True Runes come from? Every religion has a founder of some sort. Harmonia probably played an important role in this as the first nation of the world and that Hikusaak searches for the other Runes, he might know more about Runes that he does not have.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I think suikoworld is just like ours, there are many cultures, religions, thoughts and beliefs.

That would be a huge twist if there were actually more than 27. Perhapes the guy who wrote that book about it was full of it and trying to divert all attention from the real amount of true runes so no one will try to destory them all/collect them all.

Also I think there is religion in the grasslands worshiping "spirits" and the Zexens having some sort of goddess but neither of the two really seemed to be to worried about religion, However, I do remember Chris in that church (when she said Baulderdash!) and so I guess they do pray and the like.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco