Coould true rune bearer to die from...starving?

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
Punkaiser

Coould true rune bearer to die from...starving?

Post by Punkaiser »

I'm wondering about that since some sources state that TR holder are immune to any negative internal matter. Knowing that hunger and thirst belong to that sort, so does it mean they can survive with no food and no water at all (may be next issue is about no need for air as well)
AlOnZo

Re: Coould true rune bearer to die from...starving?

Post by AlOnZo »

I don't think they could though I don't recall any references to it or any of the TR holders having a quick munch during the game though. I reckon it'll be death by magic, weapons or high falls.
Exophase

Post by Exophase »

I wouldn't think it kept them from needing food and water, all I remember hearing about the true runes is that it prevents aging and protects you from disease. Seems like preventing the body from breaking down and providing everlasting energy to it are two different sorts of things..

This is kind of a stretch, but food items still heal them and they don't auto-heal, seems to suggest food works for them like it does for everyone else.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Exophase wrote:protects you from disease.
This is the reason I thought about that, if we don't eat in time our brain will start to alert us with a hungry signal, and if we still insist to not getting any food, after a while our stomach will still keep grinding nothing but itself, lack of ernergy damage the nerves->the brain and all other organs, even muscle to be affected. So I think stomach ache and organ disfunction are all diseases, aren't they? Then true runes are supposed to cure all these internal problems.
Exophase

Post by Exophase »

Punkaiser wrote:This is the reason I thought about that, if we don't eat in time our brain will start to alert us with a hungry signal, and if we still insist to not getting any food, after a while our stomach will still keep grinding nothing but itself, lack of ernergy damage the nerves->the brain and all other organs, even muscle to be affected. So I think stomach ache and organ disfunction are all diseases, aren't they? Then true runes are supposed to cure all these internal problems.
I guess it depends on how you define disease. If you consider it to be anything that causes symptoms of discomfort then you might be able to say that. But I think there's evidence that the true rune doesn't prevent disease-like symptoms - remember when Luc showed Sasarai the "clone parts"? He was incapacitated, seemed like he was nauseous, as if he felt like vomiting.

I take the true rune's role to protect from external infection of any sort and prevent cellular breakdown (aging, cancer, auto-immune, etc..).. not to remove the body's internal response to physiological or psychological conditions. I also don't think they remove sense of pain and what have you, and they definitely don't cause you to heal from injury better than anyone else. Even if it did nullify the symptoms of hunger you'd still die, or at least go into some kind of lower energy state. The true rune would have to be actively feeding you, and if this is the case I'd think the bearer wouldn't get hungry and wouldn't bother eating normally (especially if they'd just get fat if none of it would be converted into energy!).. this is the kind of thing you think you'd notice in the games. You'd also expect they wouldn't need sleep and this is something else you think would stand out.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

and they definitely don't cause you to heal from injury better than anyone else.
Is this true? I might be wrong, but don't you get poisoned in Suikoden IV when you visit Elenor, and the hero is the first to wake up? I always thought this comes fromt he rune, somehow protecting you.

In Suikoden, you get also drugged with tea, but I dont remember the scene really.

We can't really say if the Rune maybe will protect the runebearer because I can't think of an extreme situation which could have shown us...
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The only official statement we have is that True Runes provides agelessness, and it protects bearers from "disease." This leaves a lot up to speculation, of course... However, we do see true rune bearers eating in Suikoden, so it seems okay to assume eating is necessary.

In terms of poison, it does seem to work. When Ledon gave poisonous tea to the entire party, Ted was affected by it, requiring an antedote.
From that we can assume poison is not included within "disease." Thus, it seems likely that people can have illness-like symptoms even if they are not diseased-- such as when Sasarai feels nauseous. In that case, Sasarai felt nauseous not because he had a disease, but because he saw something quite shocking.

Honestly though, I doubt Konami has put as much thought into this setting as we are here! I wouldn't be surprised at all if the "next suikoden" suddenly gives us true rune bearers that don't have to eat at all, or can grow back limbs, etc. (of course, we haven/t had a single true rune in the last two spinoffs...)
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Personally, I reckon a true rune bearer probably can die from starvation. In Suikoden 4, Rikie explains that the bearer of the Rune of Punishment breathed his last breath by the tree and his body turned to stone. I know that particular rune has self destructive properties towards the bearer, but I think something similar might happen to just about any true rune bearer - so if you were locked up in a room with no food, you'd waste away and the rune would just remain in your body waiting for a new host to claim it.

The true runes don't render their bearers invincible, they can still be killed in battle, so I think they'd still have to look after their own bodies. If they over-eat and don't exercise they'd probably still get fat. they can probably still get drunk (we've seen true rune bearers being drugged).

I wonder if bearing a true rune makes you immune to STDs though....
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i would agree starvation is very possible, since your body basically runs out of "energy".
the games showed us that the True Runes and related guardian runes (Bright Shield / Twilight Rune) demand life energy from bearers, and many have died or nearly died when using the Rune's power.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Luc is a great example...he didn't like any food as i've noticed in cook-off contests so he may doesn't eat anything at all :P
Virande

Post by Virande »

Because Luc is not human... You have to serve him a non-human foods to please him .. lol.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Luc didn't *enjoy* food but it doesn't mean he didn't eat to stay alive. Luc is very much human (which he realized when dying), just not born naturally...