"Roaring Brotherhood" is it really a continuity?

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
Author

"Roaring Brotherhood" is it really a continuity?

Post by Author »

Source: http://www.klueze.com/
Howling Voice Guild

The Howling Voice has a quick appearance in Suikoden III, though Konami decided to call them the Roaring Brotherhood instead.
I checked it out and saw that the once "Howling Voice Guild" is now "Roaring Brotherhood" I haven't played S3 so correct me if my thoughts are wrong already.

As the title says, is it really a continuity or did something happen for the past 15 years? 15 years may not be that long to create such a change, but what do you think? I don't think Konami is that stupid to make such mistake and I don't think it's the translation either...
Runemaster

Re: "Roaring Brotherhood" is it really a continuity?

Post by Runemaster »

Roaring Brotherhood......

I've played S3 once but I haven't heard of that. Is there even a HVG member at S3???

Does it say that they only changed it at S3 or what??
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

There were several discrepancies in translations during Suikoden II and III. I believe this was one of them. Another would have to be Sindar being spelled "Cyndar" during Suikoden III. That's what I've always assumed anyway.

Mike is believed to be known as a HVG member.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

And Nash has once been a member of the HVG.

But Roaring Brotherhood is just bullsh*t, I mean there were women in there, why would Clive as the new Guild Master change that?(Bad memories about Elza?^^)

One translation/continuity error that upsets me is "Keepers of the Flame"-"Fire Bringer". I don't know how to call them on German :/
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Actually a Roar and a Howling Voice could roughly be the same thing. if the translators never took the time to play the previous games (which i assume with the misspelling of Sindar they did not) then they could have gone with a rough translation, and viola, Roaring Brotherhood.

Just as a thought, just because its called a brotherhood, doesnt mean it has no women. Think of X-men and the Brotherhood of Mutants. Brotherhood could easily be seen as a synonym for guild.

translators suck. its a simple fact.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

translators suck. its a simple fact.
Yip, especially in the first 3 Suikodens. I mean in every Suikoden Game, there has been another translator team afaik.

And Nay-Kobolds are referred to in S V as "Cat-Kobolds". That's continuity to you(even if the latter translation is the right one...)
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Hm.. they DO suck.

Doesn't anybody else check the translations?!?!?!
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The Japanese version used the same words, so there was no change in the name plot-wise. It was merely translation inconsistency.

I wouldn't blame the translators either, because Konami doesn't give them enough resources or time to do a good job.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Vextor wrote:The Japanese version used the same words, so there was no change in the name plot-wise. It was merely translation inconsistency.

I wouldn't blame the translators either, because Konami doesn't give them enough resources or time to do a good job.
If Konami wpuld ask any member of this board, there were half trnslation errors, that's for sure...