What saved Lazlo?

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Lovecraft_elder

What saved Lazlo?

Post by Lovecraft_elder »

There I was, playing through S4 again, and I noticed a detail I've never noticed before. Spoilers ahead!

When the pirate Brandeau use his Punishment Rune to eliminate the Gaien Knights and the "assasin," something protects Lazlo. He is protected by a green light. While I sad there, I wondered why Lazlo isn't turned to dust like all the others.
"Everytime you try to drag real life physics into a fantasy setting, God kills a catgirl!" - Please, think of the catgirls!
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: What saved Lazlo?

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Because it makes it extremely hard for the Rune to transfer to someone else if there is no one else around?

Did you at least listen to what Brandeau said? The "What? So you're next." deal?

It's not like the Rune is omnipotent and knew Glen was gonna show up.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Shinsengumi

Post by Shinsengumi »

Maybe many theories, Here's mine. What saved Lazlo is the Rune of Punishment itself.
"In war, truth is the first casualty" ~ Aeschylus
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

I have always kind of like to think that his mom soul ...memory ..whatever dwells within the rune, had a hand in preserving Lazlo's life, in addition to the Rune chosing him. ...just my thoughts

Also, plus the obvious anwser that he is the hero of the story and for him to die in the 1st few hours of the game would make for a pretty sad and story, now wouldn't?
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Lovecraft_elder

I think suiko2fan2 is on the track.
@ Raww Le Klueze: the Punishment Rune transfers to the one nearest. Once it transferred to a kid (the son of Cray), so I suppose it really doesn't care much about who hosts it. For all we know, it could as well have transferred itself to Snowe, who supposely would have been the closest person it could transfer to. We aren't told anything about the limits of its transferration. As far as we know, it just transfers to the closest subject.

Perhaps he was saved since he is the Tenkai Star. I guess that has something to do with it.
"Everytime you try to drag real life physics into a fantasy setting, God kills a catgirl!" - Please, think of the catgirls!
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

It chose him, so it protected him. But that one guy got in the way so it went into him instead. You can tell that it chose him seeing as that other guy didn't keep that rune for a long time. It killed him and went into the host it choose.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

As far as we know, it just transfers to the closest subject.
Um. No.

We know that it chooses a new host randomly. And we here's the funny thing about choosing randomly, if there's only one person around then it will be that person.
For all we know, it could as well have transferred itself to Snowe, who supposely would have been the closest person it could transfer to.
Um. No.

There's a limit to how far it can travel, as demonstrated rather effectively by the arm in the Obel Ruins where the rune was stuck till the Queen went and got it. If it had the power to travel any particular distance it wouldn't have been stuck there.

It's also demonstrated by the ending in where Lazlo is put out in a funeral boat so it won't be able to get a new host, again if the rune could travel any particular distances that would have been such a useless gesture that it's not even fathomable.

And that's not even taking into account that Glen says that no one is supposed to go up the stairs, this shows very clearly that the Rune needs someone to be very close or it won't be able to transfer as the Knights of Razril are way closer to Glen at that point than Snowe would have been to Brandeau.

You did actually play the game, right?
Lovecraft_elder

@Raww Le Klueze: Enough with the flaming.

We have no evidence, what so ever, that can explain the nature of this True Rune. It could as well be stuck in the Obel ruins, since it waited for something to happen.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

I just played 4 again, the same green 'aura' that surrounded Lazlo and saved him in the beginning from Brandau's attack, looked like the same Aura that surrounded the queen of obel when u see her at the end of the game, after you use the rune the last time in the game.

Maybe it was just chance or the programmers..or whatever, but none of the characters in the rune's memories had that same green aura that surrounded Queen. Both mother and son having that same protection or glow, whatever..this combined with the data mentioned in this thread.. i am now throughly convinced that it was his mom that saved him.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Author

Post by Author »

It's his mother, the last rune bearer of the RoP, and exactly as suikofan said. Nothing ever so deep, and I doubt it's only because he's a Tenkai (that would be a non-plot reason), but he can't die, obviously. It's kind of hinted very hard that it was his mother.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I agree with Author and Suikofan2, I think it was his mothers "soul" within the rune that protected him from it, as for the rune chossing it's bearer, it might of been random or it might of wanted Lazlo for some reaosn, we can't actually say either way.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Vermillion.Twilight

Post by Vermillion.Twilight »

Lazlo is the chosen one

All suikoden fans know that the main character's often can achieve miracles if they gather the 108 and become heroes.

Much like the Soul Eater, the rune of Punishment is just searching for the right bearer...a strong soul that will not abuse it's power.

Soul Eater had that with Ted...and then Tir and the rune would save them both from harm instead of destroy them.

The Rune of Punishment, punishes those who use the rune in hate...or for evil. Lazlo's destiny was to be the rune of punishments match...

Both cursed runes react to previous bearers within the rune if they knew the current bearer in life. Its not unbelievable to think his mother has power over it when it comes to Lazlo, helping him when she can.

Glen may have been a good person but he does use the rune beyond his ability and thus was destroyed.

That's why when Lazlo recieves it the game gives him weak spells to use....if he had used that all powerful magic starting out without unlocking them then he too would be destroyed.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
For all we know, it could as well have transferred itself to Snowe, who supposely would have been the closest person it could transfer to.
Um. No.

There's a limit to how far it can travel, as demonstrated rather effectively by the arm in the Obel Ruins where the rune was stuck till the Queen went and got it. If it had the power to travel any particular distance it wouldn't have been stuck there.

It's also demonstrated by the ending in where Lazlo is put out in a funeral boat so it won't be able to get a new host, again if the rune could travel any particular distances that would have been such a useless gesture that it's not even fathomable.

And that's not even taking into account that Glen says that no one is supposed to go up the stairs, this shows very clearly that the Rune needs someone to be very close or it won't be able to transfer as the Knights of Razril are way closer to Glen at that point than Snowe would have been to Brandeau.

You did actually play the game, right?
I'm pretty sure that Elder was referring to Snowe's proximity to Glen and not Brandeau, and yet the rune went from Glen to Lazlo, not Snowe.

This is why rudeness is generally a bad idea, in case one might misunderstand their target's statements.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I'm pretty sure that Elder was referring to Snowe's proximity to Glen and not Brandeau
Yeah, because Lazlo was saved in that scene. Oh, no wait... *facepalm*
Suikidal

Post by Suikidal »

I thought Lazlo was the only one around when Glen used the rune? Snowe came up after it had already started to transfer.. Snowe came in and seen Glen lying there with Lazlo near him and thought Lazlo killed him.

Snowe is too weak to get the RoP anyway, he would've killed himself within 5 minutes of getting it.

I think the green light was to signal the Rune transferring between hosts