What saved Lazlo?

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Aculias

Re: What saved Lazlo?

Post by Aculias »

The Punishment rune probally chooses at random.

During the battle with Steele it choose a host as well.
Of course the elf went hiding :P
Edgar got pretty beaten at that time.
I dont think the ROP (Rune of Punishment) wants a host who is dying.
Brandeau was the sure host after Steele kicked the bucket & the transfer began.
Edgar could of easily been the host, but i think he got injured fatally if I remember right.
Not sure how everyone escaped at that battle & the injuries.

It may choose the nearest.
The elf guy was hiding when Brandeau got munched if i remember.
Snowe escaped already. Lazlo was unconscious. Brandeau had to die before the transfer began. The green light came from the rune. Lazlo has no powers yet.
It needed a host.
Glen happened to show up at the wrong time.

Sometimes I wonder if you can live if you use the rune with no one around you.
No host.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

gee guys i don't get why you're talking about the roof top and Steele

ontopic

there can be two things

1. Lazlo has been predetermined by the RoP and basically protected its next host
"predetermined" being debatable

2. Lazlo is bless by some sort of immunity from teh RoP
source of such blessing being debatable
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Yeah, Lazlo's some kinda 'special' to RoP since he was allowed to use its full power for about 4 (or 5?) times unlike some other bearers who used it once and vanished.

Or the cause could probably be the sole reason to save Lazlo. 108 Stars of Destiny.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Perhapes it's as Mio said, I think that the Rune of Punishment pre-selected Lazlo and thus
killed random people until it ended up on him, actually more like it didn't like the people it was on before him.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Most likely it recognized Lazlo the youngest/healthiest host around, or knew that he was special (the Tenkai Star) and so saved him to be his next host. But then he was knocked down and out and Glenn was there and closer so it went to him.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Matt620

Post by Matt620 »

Remember that Brandeau didn't die until Glen showed up, and the rune would have just picked randomly from either Lazlo or Glen, and chose Glen. Further, after Glen used the Rune, the Hero was the only person close by. Snowe didn't show up until after the Rune had selected a new host, which is why he wasn't chosen.

As for the green light, I doubt it's merely the transfer of the Rune. We didn't see it when the rune transferred to the Hero from Glen, nor from Steele to Brandeau. It has to probably do specifically with the Queen, who had protected him from within the rune. It could be merely because the Rune wanted to ensure a host, but the guy in the Obel Ruins used it to kill everyone around, no host was spared then.
-M
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:There's a limit to how far it can travel, as demonstrated rather effectively by the arm in the Obel Ruins where the rune was stuck till the Queen went and got it. If it had the power to travel any particular distance it wouldn't have been stuck there.

It's also demonstrated by the ending in where Lazlo is put out in a funeral boat so it won't be able to get a new host, again if the rune could travel any particular distances that would have been such a useless gesture that it's not even fathomable.

And that's not even taking into account that Glen says that no one is supposed to go up the stairs, this shows very clearly that the Rune needs someone to be very close or it won't be able to transfer as the Knights of Razril are way closer to Glen at that point than Snowe would have been to Brandeau.

You did actually play the game, right?
All of this was decided by characters who had no idea how the rune actually works.

Obel Ruins might be RoP's resting spot, as True Runes have their own will. I feel like the RoP was being researched by the Queen and others before she decided to take it... why else would she go all the way down the ruins?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

All of this was decided by characters who had no idea how the rune actually works.
Yeah, I'm sure you're a better source than the game itself.
I feel like the RoP was being researched by the Queen and others before she decided to take it...
Decided to take it... by accident... makes sense.

And she decided to take it... why exactly? In case they happened to be attacked by pirates when out sailing in a few years time?
why else would she go all the way down the ruins?
Yeah, why would anyone want to go explore a mysterious ruin right next to their house? I mean, that's just crazy.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well i guess it's a question of how long the Queen held the rune. I thought she grabbed it when they were being invaded.
Vermillion.Haze

Post by Vermillion.Haze »

His mother's part of the rune and protects him throughout the whole game. Much like how Ted and Odessa protected Tir.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I believe the green light does signify that his mother was protecting him from the blast. Like others have mentioned - the queen has a green glow about her when you see her at the end.

And don't forget that when you go to sleep in the hero's room after the battle with Brandeau, he hears the music box playing and a woman's voice saying "Good bye, my darling and my children" so I believe that the queen's essence or whatever reached out to protect her child from Brandeau's attack, and it kind of awoke a memory in the hero's subconcious. I think it's fair to say there must be some connection between the weird glow that saves him from the rune, and the voice he hears in his dream.

You also receive a note in the letter box from flare about a music box that her mother used to play. I believe this is the same music you hear during the hero's dream on Razril, and the same music when you see the queen at the end of the game.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

The Queen may have very well influenced who it picked, but I believe it was a direct result of the rune requiring a new host. Brandeau even recognizes as much, because after you survive he says, "So you're the next one." or something to that extent. I don't think he'd recognize a green glow Lazlo's mother envelopes, as I doubt she did it for him.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

thing is, i think the event where Brandeau uses the rune is the only time we've seen the green glow, so it is open for us to assume that it was an effect caused by the queen of Obel.

The only other times we've seen an actual transfer was when the rune passed from Glen - the hero happened to be there before anyone else reached the turret, and when it passed from Steele to Brandeau - he didn't directly blast Brandeau and Edgar with its power, I think he just smashed up the ship and they took damage from the debris and Brandeau was the "lucky one". But I don't think we've been shown or told about any other instances where the user was wiping out everyone in the vicinity and the next host was spared by a green aura.