Chanting and Symbols, what is the meaning?

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
The Prophet

Chanting and Symbols, what is the meaning?

Post by The Prophet »

So, I have been thinking about this for a long time. Why do bearers of runes chant in order to use magic. This has led to interesting research into runes. We have all played the games and noticed the symbol of the rune and a pause before the spell is cast. In Suikoden 3, there was even a time set aside for chanting before a spell could manifest.

So, astonishingly, this led me to look into Suikoden language. The Sindarians spoke another language, which I will call the original language or lost language. This language is used when chanting. If anyone has researched the actual rune, you would know that it was actually a language built upon symbols to convey a message.

The old saying is that if you know somethings name, you have power over it. I believe that the True Runes brought forth the language of the Suikoden World, the language of Creation or God's Language. The Sindarians studied this language and hence they are seen as the individuals who know the most about runes.

The True Runes are allowed to manifest their powers in a number of forms, but for a controlled use of their energy one has to call upon their name through chanting and then the symbol representing that name is invoked and the power is released.

Not everyone can decipher this language naturally, so the language acts as a failsafe to prevent non-bearers from utilizing runic power. I believe when a rune is engraved into an individuals being, it acts as a decoder allowing the bearer to translate the hidden language of the rune and convey its true form while maintaing a degree of control over how it manifest in the world.

True Rune bearers are special in the fact that they have access to the language that invokes a massive amount of force that effects the harmony of existence. Hence, when they invoke a True Rune, they are so drained.
Iku

Post by Iku »

tamora price's quadrant of the seas (or something similar) books say just that they say that everything had an original name, from animals to individual people, and things that dont have names are evil artifical creations of magic! which the main character makes by accident! if you know something's name yoi can contact it and master it! the elements are controlled by people this way! like sailors control the wind :roll:
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax